Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Epic28's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New Historical total war era announcement coming on Thursday!

Thats more technical on the side of optimization, I believe we were both referring to gameplay mechanics within the engine upgrades. Does the melee combat still suffer from the same issues of Rome 2/ATW where they all just blob and none of the units have a mass characteristic in battle.

As far as technically optimizations go, well one would hope that the engine received various performance enhancing elements, ATW and Rome 2 were very very rough performance wise on decent PCs because they catered to the low spec consumers out there and it cratered high end users with really unfortunate bottlenecks.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    Thats more technical on the side of optimization, I believe we were both referring to gameplay mechanics within the engine upgrades. Does the melee combat still suffer from the same issues of Rome 2/ATW where they all just blob and none of the units have a mass characteristic in battle.

As far as technically optimizations go, well one would hope that the engine received various performance enhancing elements, ATW and Rome 2 were very very rough performance wise on decent PCs because they catered to the low spec consumers out there and it cratered high end users with really unfortunate bottlenecks.
    that is very very different than what you were referring to. gameplay mechanics is not engine upgrades. engine upgrades =/= changing gameplay mechanics. I don't understand how you connect the two. the blob issue has been solved as far as I know. only time I have seen blobs are when both sides trying to defend/take a choke point like a fallen gate in a siege. which is very normal. and it doesn't slow down the game at all like the rome 2/attila blobs do. you can easily check warhammer battle videos on youtube to confirm this.

low performance on high end pcs was why they upgraded. it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by katsusand View Post
    Good stuff lol
    Poking looks bad visually, but it doesn't negatively effect the gameplay where formations break down.
    should watch some warhammer battles on youtube, would give some answers. the battles in warhammer is pretty epic
    Last edited by craziii; January 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    should watch some warhammer battles on youtube, would give some answers. the battles in warhammer is pretty epic
    I could only find close ups with Human VS Monster race battles... Do you have a video with Human VS Human battles with close up shots?

Y'know, for comparison's sake.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    that is very very different than what you were referring to. gameplay mechanics is not engine upgrades. engine upgrades =/= changing gameplay mechanics. I don't understand how you connect the two. the blob issue has been solved as far as I know. only time I have seen blobs are when both sides trying to defend/take a choke point like a fallen gate in a siege. which is very normal. and it doesn't slow down the game at all like the rome 2/attila blobs do. you can easily check warhammer battle videos on youtube to confirm this.

low performance on high end pcs was why they upgraded. it worked.
    I connect the two because the engine used in Med 2 and Rome 1 were far superior for simulating melee battles. The Warscape engine is absolutely terrible for simulating melee conflicts because the units mesh through one another. The silly matched combat animations are straight out of Hollywood and whilst they may look entertaining at first, they really interfere with the combat mechanics as a whole. They don't hold any resemblance of a formation and thus blob into a giant ant mound of bodies, even in open field battles.

I've watched a bit of the Warhammer stuff but being its fantasy and my complete ignorance to the franchise/lore, I'm not sure what is really going on or what certain units are suppose to actually do. Usually a dragon or a giant came in and just destroyed everything in the videos I saw too.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.