Thread: Defeating Hannibal without killing him

Default Defeating Hannibal without killing him

Hi. I know I could defeat Hannibal and Teophanes easily at the start but I would like to keep him alive so as to he can keeps fighting in southern Italy. But each time I face him, he charges and dies in front of my legions

Is there a solution or seeing Hannibal flee before he dies is just a matter of luck ? Maybe I can edit something so as to Hannibal becomes a coward and flee quickly ? Or I can use some cheats ?

The best would be to keep him alive 'til 202 and force him to reembark to Carthago (in my previous campaign, when I threatened Carthago, invading carthaginian forces in Spain reembarked to defend their capital, so why not...)? But I know it seems impossible

Thanks for the answers

Default Re: Defeating Hannibal without killing him

1, mod an ancillary which adds high hit points, then make the trigger to "and EndedInSettlement", make all other family/generals wait outside, After end turn when anc added remove trigger from file. If you need help pm me, but only if you post his exploits later!
    2, the general always starts in formation on the left i thk [ maybe right], anyway if you face them backwards and angle them prior to charging with the general at the back he doesn't get to involed and survives longer.
    3, you could mod the general unit to high def and low attack and add hit points, but that would mean all general units would also be affected.

Thanks BiggBudd

1°) I don't know how to mod an ancillary but I think I can easily find a tutorial. But how am I supposed to move Hannibal in a settlement and the others generals out of their settlement ? The move_character cheat is glitched : if it's used on a character currently on a settlement, he moves but he becomes invisible. And I'll post his exploits, but later 'coz I don't have a lot of time to play atm (lot of work ).

2°) I can't really flank him because he always attack my legions in the center and so he's protected by his infantry

it's something like this :

__I__ __I__ _I+G_ __I__ __I__ -----> Line of carthaginian Infantry + General
    ____ _____ _____ _____ _____
    H H H H H -----> Line of Hastati

3°) I prefer the first solution, if possible

I've also found that ancilliary bodyguard improves general's bodyguards value. Does it mean that general is less likely to flee ? If yes, I think I would mod Bodyguard ancilliary so as to it doesn't improves this anymore (maybe I can give a negative value ?)

Edit : I had enought time to try 2 fight tonight : I improved his HP and his defense, and I decreased his moral but he won't flee He keeps charging in front of my line and die after a loooong fight... Don't know how to do it...
    Last edited by Darcane; December 13, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

I did manage to keep him alive. But he did not came back to Carthage.

So I cheated and have him move to Carthage after defeating him using move_character cheat.

The next time I saw him, he landed in Sicily with 3 war elephants, 3 Carthagian stacks are also with him (possible recruited in Sicily). I was besieging the Greeks when he attacked my army. Quintus died that attack. He took Messana.

He did attack southern Italy, but other Carthagian armies did.

He eventually died defending Messana. I was hoping to fight him in the field so he can have a chance to escape and cheat him back to Africa but in siege battles all the occupants die.

Quote Originally Posted by iaantinmeeh View Post
    He did attack southern Italy, but other Carthagian armies did.
    I meant to say HE DID NOT ATTACK southern Italy.

Too bad he was stuck if in Messana