Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Im not a history buff at all so this took a lot of tabs and brainpower to try get it historical or interesting. I just love the byzantine empire. Im guessing the Edict could be for the Empire of Nicaea before they reform the Byzantine Empire as well as during. idk lol

Sure! I like it!

Thanks sly! I was also thinking last night a possible decrease in the cost of mercenaries too as the Byzantines used them quite frequently. Awesome to hear you like it

Hi, first of all i would like to thank you for an amazing mod, i would like to lift up ideas on the Swedish unit rooster.

Firstly the Huscarls looks very out of place, the small little shield for example is to my knowledge never been used in Scandinavia at all, as well as the 'knight robes' that seems a bit out of place aswell on the Huscarls. The original attila royal huscarls seems to have a more accurate armor that would fit for this mods time period aswell. Or atleast something similair. Scandinavia with exception of Denmark had only half left the viking age equipment wise at this period and were a mix of old nordic weaponry and armor and new continental weapons and armor.

This time period also saw the fairly unknow nordic crusades, where Denmark, Sweden and the Teutonic knights launched crusades to the east. Which perhaps could be highlighted in this mod.

And last perhaps Novgorod could be present in the mod, Alexander Nevsky is after all one of the best famous russians to ever live. Cheers and again thank you for this mod

They sadly couldnt add Novgorod, because the vanilla Atilla map doesnt cover that area.

@tsaren, the Huskarls are actually a combination of things. During my cruise to Alaska, I did whatever I could to find any old source material of anything and everything to do with Sweden during the Medieval Ages. There is almost no information about Sweden's medieval army composition other than Birger Jarl's reforms, the archaeological finds and sources of the Battle of Visby in Gotland, and information about the Ledung System that I can find. The Bondir (farmers in translation) represent the viking-like society that existed around Sweden before Birger Jarl's reforms. The Bondir are what would be considered using a mixture of Viking Age equipment with the contemporary 13th century, and their organization is based off of the Ledung system. Which is mostly a military coastal border patrol on Snekkes. The Hirdmen (meaning "hired men") represent the reforms from Birger Jarl who transitioned the kingdom from a Viking society to a Fuedal one, and those hirdmen are basically the men at arms of the king or any royal authority with retinue. The Huskarls are supposedly the body guards of the king and other royalty, and supposedly the most well equipped units. Normally, the Huskarls would just be a prettier, more decorated, and possibly heavier version of the redundant Hirdmen, but for gameplay reasons, I made those units a two-handed axe shock unit.

The shield idea comes from a Icelandic illustration I found on Druzhina's website. http://www.warfare.altervista.org/14/Flateyjarbok-3.htm

Historically, little bucklers are drawn on many various illustrations all over Western and Northern Europe that I felt it wouldn't wrong to include those on the Huskarls in order to spice up their appearance.

I have no idea what you mean by "knight robes." If you mean the surcoats the Huskarls wear, those would be more contemporary with the time period than what I assume in what you are describing is a unit dressed in a fashion of the Vendel Era 7th-9th century.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

I think he simply means a long mailcoat instead of the robed mail, like used for example by similar Gaelic troops long after 1200' anyone who has followed the research has seen the "robed mail", knightly coats, in this period though. It could maybe make them a bit unique and more archaic if they had 50% or so of either

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hmm.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 24, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Ah look at that i had no idea they used bucklers but im glad they did, it looks really nice with the two handed axe. And i do suppose that the idea of the northen crusades should be dropped considering that as Filips saids, the area concerned doesnt exist on the map. I do have to add though that the robes over the chainmail does bug my eye i do support Linke's suggestion, but of course personal opinions matters little aslong as it is historically correct. Thank you all for the replies

Sorry, but need to delete this symbol (Saka burial "Golden man"(symbol on the headdress) from Issyk - Kazakhstan). Very old culture- very old style for this mod.

Last edited by xeofox; July 13, 2016 at 06:53 PM.

Hi, awsome MK-Team
    One question; does your mod contain the plan to change the music ingame too at a sooner or later point? Would be epic to hear old Medieval 2 themes or the Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack in Attila. I know it“s hardcoded but imo it would be one of the last bricks for a perfect medieval athmosphere (besides medieval buildings and cities of course... By the way... What are your plans with this? )

Cheers

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

OMG! This mod looks epic! can't hardly wait.

Libertus

Pls add the timurids as a custom battle faction.

Saw that post on modb by KarFW :

Hello, I love your work, but can I suggest something. The Second Bulgarian Tsardom is good as it is, but I see that there aren't unique names for the units. And since I am Bulgarian I'd love to suggest to you how to rename them. Also Also I wish to see some type of knightly unit on foot. Thank you.
    Unique names for units: Any Bulgarian will tell you that these names are accurate according to our language. These are literall translation, but it will give them a sense of uniquity.
    Bulgarian Swordsmen - Bulgarian Mechonostzi
    Bulgarian Infantry - Bulgarian Pehota
    Bulgarian Spearmen - Bulgaran Kopienostzi
    Bulgarian Heavy Spearmen - Bulgarian Tezhki Kopienostzi
    Bulgarian Archers - Bulgarian Streltzi
    Bulgarian Heavy Archers - Bulgarian Heavy Streltzi
    Bulgarian Knights - Bulgarian Ritzari
    Last edited by JC_CESAR; August 02, 2016 at 06:28 PM.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

I am Bulgarian too and I can tell you that there weren't any bulgarian knights and I think that if we make a bit research we could suggest more original names than just translations
    Last edited by Bobi_TWR; August 03, 2016 at 07:01 AM.

I suggest as Bulgarian unit names Voivode - it's an title equivalent to general, Trapezitzy - it means soldiers who guard an passage and instead of Boyars - Bolyars.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by lion8000 View Post
    I suggest as Bulgarian unit names Voivode - it's an title equivalent to general, Trapezitzy - it means soldiers who guard an passage and instead of Boyars - Bolyars.
    Don't forget about the Tcar(gotta be Tzar) and about the others i guess translations are better than the horrible names
    Peasents-Selqni
    Peasent Archers-Selski Streltzi
    Bulgarian Archers- Streltzi
    Bulgarian Heavy Archers-Tejki Streltzi
    Bulgarian Crossbowmen-Arbaletisti
    Bulgarian Cavalry-Kavaleriq
    Brigands-Banditi
    Bulgarian Swordsmen-Mechonostzi
    Heavy Infantry-Tejka Pehota
    Bulgarian Axemen-Bradvari
    Bulgarian Spearmen-Kopienostzi
    Bulgarian Heavy Spearmen-Tejki Kopienostzi or Trapezitzy
    Light Horse Archers-Leki Konni Streltzi
    Heavy Horse Archers-Tejki Konni Streltzi

I think that these names will be ok(i missed some because they were basically mercenaries)

Would it be possible to add some Knigth of the order of St.Lazarus to the Jerusalem/Cyprus Kingdom rooster ?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hmm.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

This guy in general visited a serious amount of historical museums in total. There are plenty of pictures which show some good stuff to implement almost for every faction.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/albums