Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila - DEI combat overhaul - 0.65 (05.06.2015)

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Attila - DEI combat overhaul - 0.1

Thanks

Works fantastic mate

great! Its funny that always when im searching for a mod im landing at yours
    I really enjoyed the combat of DeI, so if this will be anything like it its gonna be perfect! Do you have any plan to rebalance recruitment/upkeep cost for campaign?
    And are those changes implemented into the units information tab?
    thx

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I will rebalance costs because I intend to finally enjoy Attila campaign xD

What do you mean by information tab? New stats are of course visible, but I still need to find a way to get rid of those retarded "Very High Health", "Low Armour Piercing" nonsense. Anyway, they won't work with my stats as I use different scale, so all units in info have low health, low AP etc.

In the evening I will focus a bit more on pikes (they should not be there in the first place, at least not in the way they are now) and missile units.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

yes i exactly mean this "nonsense"^^ just wanted to know if these informations are still true with your mod or if i have to figure out the strengths and weaknesses myself.

Patrician

You just need to change them by the stats ;D I don't get why they show those not saying much info in the first place and for proper stats you need to expand the window, which combined takes a lot of place. Overal Attila has the most space consuming UI from all TW games fo far (sure you can hide some of it, but in Rome 2 I always have everything on and it does not take much place).

Kam needs the whip icon under his avatar that freezes his fatigue and buffs mod production by 100% LOL
    Loving what I have tried so far, look forward to seeing how far this goes Kam, great work.

Cool, now KAM is easily to recognizable again

Great! THanks a lot as always KAM

Hey KAM, huge fan of DeI so excited to see you get to grips with Attila. Couple of quick questions.

A) What are your central aims here in terms of balancing? Aside from getting rid of some stuff which appears a little non-sensical, what else are you aiming to do? Will it be DeI lite? Will units fill roughly their same niche?

B) Is it savegame compatible?

C) How have you tweaked missile damage?

I'll give it a go when I get home from work! Just wondering what your design aims where basically!

Decanus

KAM - Rollo avatar ftw.

Civis

I feel that the kill rate is much faster than DEI 1.0... other than that looks promising!

thanks for the hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by TWCassius View Post
    I feel that the kill rate is much faster than DEI 1.0... other than that looks promising!

thanks for the hard work!
    So this is better

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by benlesagedu View Post
    So this is better
    Sure it's all about personnal taste. I like more slow paced battles, but I do understand other people like it more "dynamic" combat. I personnaly love DEI battles, for me it's just perfect.

Kam, will you also balance the units from the new dlc?

Great to see you working on this KAM!

And thank god your avatar is Rollo again, it must be so!

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

one thing to keep in mind is to lower the damage of towers. If battles now take longer the towers need to be adjusted. theyre already some kind of overpowered in vannila.

romanlegion13th's Avatar Semisalis

is there going to be a new version out tonight? not started a campaign yet so thinking of waiting for it?

Patrician

Battles will be a bit faster then in regular DeI due to this being based on experimental pack, plus proper balancing is yet to start ;D For example units now have a bit weird armour and defence values, hence battles seem to be fast (but not as fast as in vanilla Attila).

Of course mod is savegame compatible, but DO NOT USE THIS FOR CAMPAIGN. Units stats are changed, but not costs, so there are units that are simply waste of money. While campaign itself will work, the units used by AI or avaliable for the player will be unbalanced due to costs. If you do not care about this stuff, then have a go, but artillery and ships might work weird too. Just test some stuff in custom battle, if you find it ok, then play a campaign

juanplay, I was disgusted when after reading your post I saw that they already release a DLC even before anoucing that there will be a patch. Damn it, this game is not working for many peeople still! It would not even work for me if not the work around (open Rome 2 launcher, open Attila launcher, play). They haven't even wait whole week to anounce it. People on facebook page of Total War already flammed the whole thread about it (due to realising DLC without patching the game and not even waiting some time after launch). I won't but this DLC until it will be down to 75-90% sale. Unit will be balanced, I do not need a pack to see them in files (as they are probalby already there anyway...).

Dresden, Viking are back in TV so Rollo is back too

In general I will keep it slow on this mod, I have lots of stuff to do for DeI in the first place. That is why I want you guys to report stuff so I do not need to make dozens of tests to notice bugs.

I just played my first battle using a unit composition and faction from my campaign, so that the difference would be easy to notice.

Franks (Me) - Defenders:
    - 4 Germanic Spearmen
    - 4 Germanic Warbands
    - 4 Germanic Hunters
    - 4 Germinac Horsemen
    - 1 general on foot.

Saxon (AI) - Attackers:
    Same army compositions with similar units.

The battle played out in a very interesting way. The Ai came to me, but did not charge. Instead, they set all of their archers on the front line in spread out formation, with their spears and swords out of reach from my archers behind, and cavs on each flanks further back. They stayed there and played out the skirmish for as long as they had arrows.

On my side, I set spears in the center of the line, and 2 axe units on each sides (Not exactly great since I did not outnumber them, but wanted to mimic my last few battles in vanilla.). I set my archers just behind my line, as I wanted my shield walls to absorbe some of the missile damages in order to get ranged advantage in the long run.

The first things I noticed were as follow:

- My spearmen now have a spearwall, instead of a shield all. This does not seem to change anything, and functionned very well. They were able to withstand missile damages very well, with the front line in tight formation and the rest with shields over their heads (Only when fired at.) almost as if they were in testudo. No problem there.
    - My Warbands (Axemen) gained the frenzy ability which I am fairly sure they did not have in my campaign (Note that I am using DogSoldier's overhaul.), but also lost their shieldwall. This made them useless on my frontline as they died fast of missile fire. I was confused by this, considering that they own the same shields as the spearmen.
    - None of my units had the Offensive or Defensive testudo. This is a feature I missed, since the offensive was a great way of maneuvering the battlefield without fear of missile attacks (And the animation looks amazing!).

After a good exchange of missile fire, the AI charged my line, but my cavaleries overpowered theirs and I easily won with flanking. I believe my cavaleries may have been much better than theirs though, since I only paid attention to unit cost and not to stats. Overall, the battle and movement speed was very enjoyable, and the AI spotting distance was a much welcomed change to Attila (Just as it was to Rome 2!).

So I would say, the two things I am looking forward to now are the formations and unit values in campaign, the rest of the fighting was quite enjoyable and felt mostly right. Now I will do some more varied testing

EDIT: I am noticing now that the first two sword and axe units do not have the shieldwall, this may have been modded by DogSoldier then, as his mode is mostly based on the use of the shield wall. My bad!
    Last edited by krunsh; February 23, 2015 at 01:42 PM.