Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] - Taksashila (Mauyran Empire)

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - Taksashila (Mauyran Empire)

These unit models look awesome but it would be great if these guys had more color and more unique shields.

Shouldn't the units be more ... black? Currently they look olive/Syrian.

Compared to Indians in real life:

Hmm can't seem to edit post

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

North and south Indians vary in appereance

Semisalis

One sad thing is I cant go back to rome 2 after playing attila even though i am a big fan from the beginning. I even defended Rome 2 when it first released and ppl complaint about bugs, glitches and bad gameplay. I started a campaign days ago but I cant play it anymore. The battles in Attila seem to be better in terms of AI. I always get surprised by enemy cavalry sneaking from behind into my infantries rear. I love DeI but all im waiting for is a total overhaul / conversion mod for attila (Fall of the Eagles finished / Ancient Empires).. Its really weird. I finally can play siege battles, and the AI is good as well.

as always the best mod ever

keep it coming

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Concerning the colour of their skin, back then there were people of two ethnicies in India,
    the lower class, the indigenous population, which was pretty dark coloured,
    and the ruling class, the Aryans, who were quite light skinned.
    I know this word is stigmatisised, but itīs just how they were called.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Concerning the colour of their skin, back then there were people of two ethnicies in India,
    the lower class, the indigenous population, which was pretty dark coloured,
    and the ruling class, the Aryans, who were quite light skinned.
    I know this word is stigmatisised, but itīs just how they were called.
    Very simplistic.

You can look at the oldest set of paintings from Ajanta caves(2nd Century BC), the upper class were dark skinned.

Even the later dated ones(3rd-5th AD) of upper class were dark.

etc

Painters never 'white washed' either as there was no preference for such a thing back then.
    Last edited by bengalg3; April 29, 2015 at 03:19 AM.

Wasn't there the cast system in place which prohibited intermarriage between classes?
    I didn't mean that they were light skinned, but lighter skinned than the lower classes.
    Like bronze in comparison to darkish brown

"I concur!"

​Me

Wasn't there the cast system in place which prohibited intermarriage between classes?
    I didn't mean that they were light skinned, but lighter skinned than the lower classes.
    Like bronze in comparison to darkish brown

There's a caste system, but by the time the caste system was made, peoples were already mixed, though in different frequencies between castes. So those 'upper classes' were native, and wouldnt fit anywhere else other than in India.

Today peoples all the way NW Afghanistan will have the ASI(ancestral south indian) component, and tribals of the South, who arent even in the caste system or mainstream Indian society will carry ANI(ancestoral north indian) component.

It's basically complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalg3 View Post
    There's a caste system, but by the time the caste system was made, peoples were already mixed, though in different frequencies between castes. So those 'upper classes' were native, and wouldnt fit anywhere else other than in India.

Today peoples all the way NW Afghanistan will have the ASI(ancestral south indian) component, and tribals of the South, who arent even in the caste system or mainstream Indian society will carry ANI(ancestoral north indian) component.

It's basically complicated.
    To make it easy, itīs complicated, I quite like that thought xD

"I concur!"

​Me

To make it easy, itīs complicated, I quite like that thought xD

Lol, yeah it had to mix of many different events, and a bit complicated for every individual in the subcontinent to have these two components in them. Though in different frequencies, depending on the caste, location, etc.

The colors seem accurate to me. Generally, people living inland have lighter skin (like me) and people living in the coastal and desert areas (desert area=modern day Rajastan; which is a border state of Pakistan with deserts) generally have darker skin. Its worth noting that the people from the habitable areas around modern day Punjab have light skin since they are descendants of the Aryans. In the south; there are also very dark skinned people, who aren't dark skinned due to harsh sun. My sociology test says they are of the Negrito race, but I really don't know.
    Anyhow, the skin in the screens looks quite accurate considering the racial intermixing and wide area of the empire.

Hero of Sparta's Avatar Libertus

Although they dont interest me enough to play,they certainly look nice and a job well done.

I know the map for shogun 2 is editable. one of the modders mentioned that rome 2 has a tool released as well where you can mod the map and add more regions?

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by job3344 View Post
    I know the map for shogun 2 is editable. one of the modders mentioned that rome 2 has a tool released as well where you can mod the map and add more regions?
    Not possible. You can only change the regions already in the game by changing the startpos. Like removing the etruscans and give it to the romans.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

indian axemen are finished and ready to kill some enemies with their new axes!

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

They look great! But you have to add some real shields for them as well, and some colour to the tunics if possible, in many sources and surviving Mauryan art Indians used colourful clothing (major colours red/orange/aqua blue/green and a small amount of yellow, according to cave paintings).

Also, as much as I know, even smaller unit officers wore some gold jewellery, because both the wealth of India and the abundance of gold acquired both through mining and trade, and also due to the auspiciousness and as a way to differentiate from peasants and non-Kshatriyas. The higher the officer's rank, the more gold he wore (as long as it was reasonable and didn't interrupt movement). Cavalry commanders would have gold chains on turban alongside necklaces and other jewellery. Generals would be really opulent and aside from being clad in gold, they also would've worn really catchy and colourful clothes.

Peasants and other soldiers too wore coloured clothes but that would be dimly coloured. White was still common overall.

As for the footwear, I think you can add wooden Khadau 'slippers' that was worn across all of India.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

GourmetGorilla's Avatar Semisalis

I agree, great work indeed. It would be nice to see some deeper shades, and more diverse varieties of coloration in their clothing, but all nitpicking aside this is magnificent stuff. Keep up the great work!

Yes, definitely should add some funky shields.

I most say, most of your artistic sources will not come from the Maurya's themselves, but their successors.

'

Here are some shield designs from 2nd Century BC.
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 08, 2015 at 02:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast