Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting with light cavalry?

Default Scouting with light cavalry?

Is there a way to increase Line of Sight by the numbers of light cavalry in your army? Say a +1/2 (or more if you have an abundance of light cavalry) Line of Sight depending on the light/medium cavalry in your army?

Scouting was an essential part of ancient warfare and of course is still important today. Shouldn't having a large number of light cavalry in your army increase your Line of Sight and decrease your chances of getting ambushed? On the flip side, an army with more superior light cavalry should have a better chance of ambushing your forces?

I enjoying playing with battle realism mode, where having light cavalry is essential to scouting the enemy army. Is there a way to implement this to this campaign?

Maybe even increase foraging for supplies? An example is Hannibal's Numidian cavalry. He brought a very large amount into Italy, knowing that he would need a large amount of scouting troops to not be trapped by the Romans and so that he could be more assured of laying ambushes. He also needed to make sure that he could live off the land for an extended period of time.

An army made of of mainly heavy troops and heavy cavalry would have a hard time finding the enemy, be more prone to ambushes, and struggle to forage for food.

Light cavalry was an essential part of ancient warfare and dare I say more important than Shock cavalry, by determining the survival of an army.

Thanks in advance for the responses. I love the Mod.

Default Re: Scouting with light cavalry?

That's actually a pretty awesome idea, a tactic used in several civilizations.

+1

This is a great idea as currently light cavalry is only really used until you get access to heavy cavalry, it would give light cavalry a niche in any army

Very good idea, if it's possible I would say add it.

Thanks for nice comments guys and gals. I hope it can be implemented. Thanks.

Semisalis

I really like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by JCB206 View Post
    Thanks for nice comments guys and gals. I hope it can be implemented. Thanks.

I highly doubt it is possible. Armies don't have any method to get bonuses or maluses from a specific unit within the army.

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Would it be possible to tie it to a general's traits?
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Well, spies can already do this (increase line of sight and improve campaign movement range) if you attach them to an army and give them the right traits.

There already is a scouting bonus with line of sight in general skills.

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Thank you, chaps. So a compromise then: houserule the spy with light cavalry.
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    I highly doubt it is possible. Armies don't have any method to get bonuses or maluses from a specific unit within the army.
    Thats too bad. Light cavalry was Much more important before and after a battle than during.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Chancellor View Post
    Thank you, chaps. So a compromise then: houserule the spy with light cavalry.
    If its not possible, its not possible. I understand that.

But changing spy's traits or general's traits is not a good compromise IMO.

I like how we only get 1/2 spies to stop agent spamming. For this to work, you would have to have more.

Maybe a spy deployed in a region gets to see more the longer they are there. That would be a good reason to deploy a spy in an enemy region for a long time.
    Last edited by JCB206; October 31, 2015 at 01:57 PM.

I'm no expert, just a question?

Doesn't the Supply ship and baggage train units give armies bonuses? Light cavalry should be able to give bonuses to foraging at the least. Maybe not Line of Sight, but some units do give bonuses somehow, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JCB206 View Post
    I'm no expert, just a question?

Doesn't the Supply ship and baggage train units give armies bonuses? Light cavalry should be able to give bonuses to foraging at the least. Maybe not Line of Sight, but some units do give bonuses somehow, right?
    Litharion would have to answer this for it to be 100%, but the supply units are part of a scripted system. The game isn't realizing "hey, a supply unit, that means army x gets bonus y". But rather a script runs each turn to check for supply units, if they are found in armies, and what to do about the state of that army every turn.

You 'could' add scripts for all sorts of things. But every script you add slows the game down more.

Litharion would have to answer this for it to be 100%, but the supply units are part of a scripted system. The game isn't realizing "hey, a supply unit, that means army x gets bonus y". But rather a script runs each turn to check for supply units, if they are found in armies, and what to do about the state of that army every turn.

You 'could' add scripts for all sorts of things. But every script you add slows the game down more.
    Thanks for the response. I agree, slowing the game down is not a good reason.

Litharion? Do you concur?

Thanks Ivan_Moscavich!

What about fog of war during battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Alma69 View Post
    What about fog of war during battles?
    What about it? There definitely is a use for light cavalry in scouting battlefields when the enemy army is hidden - the AI will actually use their cavalry for this if you deploy hidden as well.

Fog could be increased, giving more use for scouting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast