Thread: Where does the mod team stand in regards to Age of Charlemagne?

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Default Where does the mod team stand in regards to Age of Charlemagne?

Hello there, first of all, sorry if this has been asked before. I had a brief glance around to no avail.

Now, the way I see it the Age of Charlemagne DLC map offers this mod the possibility to go make much better use of Frank,British,Hispanic and Italian factions (and some germanic). It is the perfect map for a a western europe mod really.

Would the mod team consider using this for a campaign map (I presume it would still be with old atilla buildings? :/) Of course I say this not knowing just how much work has been done towards the medieval campaign end goal but it would surely allow for a much more indepth perspective on all the Western factions. In my personal opinion at least, it is these countries and cultures that people generally think of when they imagine the medieval ages (+crusades I suppose), it is a shame the map doesn't extend far enough to include the Teutones but that is a minor issue. I have not however bought the DLC yet and to be honest, this mod will likely be the only reason I eventually will if necessary.

So err...wadaya say?

P.S. I apologise if any of what I have said above seems rude in regards to work done on the Eastern factions.

In fact now that I think about it, the Justinian campaign map would be ideal for a focus on the Islamic attack conquest of spain and southern italy, but that is a little less important (to me at least )

Default Re: Where does the mod team stand in regards to Age of Charlemagne?

While it's very tempting, we are focusing on the grand campaign right now. We MIGHT do something with that map eventually but it's too soon to say. Good news is in theory we can retrofit some of the elements from Charlemagne in the grand campaign. I know cause I asked Jack Lusted himself at the mod summit.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

So is it possible to bring some campaign elements like creating kingdoms into the GC?
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Yeah, in theory. Though I do believe it's tied in the lua scripts and might be harder to execute but there's nothing hardcoded that can stop us. The only thing is whatever charlemagne stuff we want to bring over we need to rename to take out the cha_ moniker. Otherwise it won't work.

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    While it's very tempting, we are focusing on the grand campaign right now. We MIGHT do something with that map eventually but it's too soon to say. Good news is in theory we can retrofit some of the elements from Charlemagne in the grand campaign. I know cause I asked Jack Lusted himself at the mod summit.
    Good to hear it'll be used I'm quite keen on the war exhaustion mechanic. Would be nice to wear a nation down to accepting peace terms. Far too hard to force them into peace without destroying them entirely.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Yeah, in theory. Though I do believe it's tied in the lua scripts and might be harder to execute but there's nothing hardcoded that can stop us. The only thing is whatever charlemagne stuff we want to bring over we need to rename to take out the cha_ moniker. Otherwise it won't work.
    This is actually extremely awesome news I hope you manage to get it working! You're great artists!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

But I guess, to implement some stuff from charlemagne wont work for "big" things like cities, city positions, provinces or medival buildings??
    Is that correct?

I can always "re-skin" the Attila walls and other buildings to give it a medieval flavor to them.

Yeah, its completely clear that your reskins will be awesome in any case
    But if it would work, it could save you much time and whats more important and the main point from my question; you would have more cities or regions to work with (for example Paris which isnt on Attila map or the great amount of regions in England and the HRE).
    I think its impossible to do that since Attila´s map is hardcoded... but maybe, there is a way to implement these regions in Attila´s map ADDITIONALLY because Attila and Charlemagne are using nearly the same system, so you dont really need to change anything basically.
    Correct me, if I´m wrong.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

I think the team should focus on the grand campaign first and then maybe do the Hundred Years War on Charlemagne and maybe the Italian Wars on Last Roman (if that isn't too far out of the time period).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

I'm gonna be done after the grand campaign. Somebody else can make a sub mod.

Is it possible you could retrofit War Weariness?

Quote Originally Posted by Incoherencel View Post
    Even if Medieval Kingdoms wont do it, you'll surely be able to use War Weariness: Attila Campaign by Magnar alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Incoherencel View Post
    Even if Medieval Kingdoms wont do it, you'll surely be able to use War Weariness: Attila Campaign by Magnar alongside it.

The map would be awesome for he sub campaign themed on the Hundred Year Wars.

Since AoC came out, has any thought been given for formable nations? Granted, forming nations like Spain would be anachronistic but being able to rename your empire the Byzantine Empire as Nicaea or Trebizond after reconquering Constantinople and putting down the other pretender states is appealing. Taking down the Abbasids as the Ayyubids and taking the mantle of caliph, things like that would be fun stuff to spice up a campaign, unless I'm being a dunce and nation forming is limited to the AoC map.