Thread: Question About Population

Default Question About Population

Hello, just regarding the population; playing as Sparta, have the main building at t2, as well as a barracks and a marble quarry. I've not reached imperium 3 yet so i can't build the t3 one.

I'm trying to really carefully nurture my Homoioi population to get a large number of them, but every time i seem to get over e.g. 1,000 a lot of them seem to just randomly disappear, e.g. for no reason 500 of them will go and i'll just have 500 left in the city etc. What causes this please? Is it the events which pop up e.g. Riot in the Capital, does that reduce it? Or are people migrating to more sparsely populated areas etc?

Also, if i have a large number of peasants does that stop my Homoioi pop from increasing or are they totally separate things? (Totally willing to go on a peasant massacare spree if it means increasing the number of true-blood spartans

Thanks guys!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Question About Population

You'll probably get a few hints from our population guide here.

You will have to check the various factors in the game. But growth, total population of the city, and immigration could all be at play. Also if you have a fleet somewhere that can't replenish locally, it will use your capital's population.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Aaah thanks guys that guide was really helpful

And i had no idea about the fleet thing, hah

It happened to me too, but since I played it on patch 18 version, I thought it would be sort of irrelevant report to make. But hence you experienced it in the newer version (my guess), I may as well share it.

Difference is, I played Athens, but everything else is just the same. At some point between turns 15-18 I lost 3000 of the second class pops, they simply vanished. I reloaded auto and tried to redo my actions to see what may have caused it, but they disappeared all the same. Then I reloaded once more and it turned out they weren't there even at the start of the turn.
    This also repeated in the then new campaign, about the same turn. So, had to sadly give up on playing Athens.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Furgon View Post
    It happened to me too, but since I played it on patch 18 version, I thought it would be sort of irrelevant report to make. But hence you experienced it in the newer version (my guess), I may as well share it.

Difference is, I played Athens, but everything else is just the same. At some point between turns 15-18 I lost 3000 of the second class pops, they simply vanished. I reloaded auto and tried to redo my actions to see what may have caused it, but they disappeared all the same. Then I reloaded once more and it turned out they weren't there even at the start of the turn.
    This also repeated in the then new campaign, about the same turn. So, had to sadly give up on playing Athens.
    Do you have a save game with the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Litharion View Post
    Do you have a save game with the problem?
    Unfortunately, no. Will keep it next time this issue pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by corsair831 View Post
    Aaah thanks guys that guide was really helpful

Our pleasure

Just one more population question ha ha (still trying to solve the mystery of my god damn disappearing Perioikoi )

When you capture a new city or your city is attacked and the garrison is depleted, will this regeneration of the garrison consume population; e.g. will a garrison Perioikoi hoplite unit use Perioikoi population to regenerate to full strength?

Thanks again!

Yes, garrison units use your population pool to replenish.

thanks man

was wondering where they'd gone, hah . just one more thing; the overcrowding mechanic, is it a separate entity for each population class? so if my peasant population is disproportionately high is that going to have an overcrowding effect on my nobility/citizen populations? (as in should i try and actively lower the peasant population by getting them killed in battles etc. so that i can raise the nobility/citizen populations?)

Cheers!

Yes total population can impact base growth/overcrowding across all the classes - if I remember correctly

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Awesome thanks

So, I'll take that as implicit permission from Dresden to genocidal my own peasantry to boost citizen growth

Quote Originally Posted by corsair831 View Post
    Awesome thanks

So, I'll take that as implicit permission from Dresden to genocidal my own peasantry to boost citizen growth
    Not 100% sure about it. Try it and let us know.