Thread: Deleting Unhistorical units

Civis

Default Deleting Unhistorical units

First of all I am grateful to the Developers for FOE, it is a huge improvement over vanilla in every way. I would like to deal with one problem. I believe that Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion had it right on the unit rosters. Slingers were practically extinct, with low quality slingers only available to the Sassanids and the Celts. No one used pikes during this time period. Steppe factions did not have super infantry. I believe these are accurate. Dogs are such fantasy units they are more appropriate for a Lord of the rings game. In FOE Artillery is fantastically exaggerated in presence and effectiveness. I understand that balance is a concern, but as a lifelong history geek ( I'm 63) I am more concerned with accuracy. I want to use and face "Real" armies. Can I delete the unhistorical units? Would that cause other problems? I have the steam version.

Default Re: Deleting Unhistorical units

Quote Originally Posted by Dantman40 View Post
    the unit rosters. Slingers were practically extinct, with low quality slingers only available to the Sassanids and the Celts. No one used pikes during this time period. Steppe factions did not have super infantry. I believe these are accurate. Dogs are such fantasy units they are more appropriate for a Lord of the rings game. In FOE Artillery is fantastically exaggerated in presence and effectiveness. I understand that balance is a concern, but as a lifelong history geek ( I'm 63) I am more concerned with accuracy. I want to use and face "Real" armies. Can I delete the unhistorical units? Would that cause other problems? I have the steam version.
    Actually all units are hiper real and historically researched for long and deep. You may argue about artillery, but unless there is no possibility to move them into siege equipment nothing else is to accept.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    Actually all units are hiper real and historically researched for long and deep. You may argue about artillery, but unless there is no possibility to move them into siege equipment nothing else is to accept.
    I have been reading about and researching this time period at depth and it has been a hobby since I was a child. I read Gibbons "Decline and fall of the Roman Empire" when I was 10, which was 1967. My experience says otherwise, that Barbarian Invasion got it right. We will have to agree to disagree on the subject, as I do not intend to get into a debate on the matter. It is your mod, not mine, and I greatly appreciate your work to make the game better. You have seriously improved the base game and I am grateful for your hard work. I mean no disrespect. But to get to my original point, can I delete these units? Do I have to do something else to remove them? I have the steam version and know nothing about modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantman40 View Post
    I have been reading about and researching this time period at depth and it has been a hobby since I was a child. I read Gibbons "Decline and fall of the Roman Empire" when I was 10, which was 1967.
    Gibbon's book is actually widely rejected while more comprehensive is barbarisation theory now as well as just ancient sources which Gibbon simply missed or had no idea they exist. All you don't believe you still can observe on the monuments - slingers, spears, heavy german infantry, mounted elite huns and so on. I suggest to look at some columns and archs like Traian, Constantine or Arcadius. The same is suggested within the names of specific units like "lanceari", "ursariences", "balistarii". Gothic pikemen are pretty mentioned at least in ancient descriptions of Battle at Adrianople (can't remember the source). You can even see slinger at Bayeux Tapestry, while Procopius recorded a slinger who fell hunnic warrior. So no, nothing to debate, all is correct.

Anyway if you insist on deleting anything, use workshop section to learn bases.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    Gibbon's book is actually widely rejected while more comprehensive is barbarisation theory now as well as just ancient sources which Gibbon simply missed or had no idea they exist. All you don't believe you still can observe on the monuments - slingers, spears, heavy german infantry, mounted elite huns and so on. I suggest to look at some columns and archs like Traian, Constantine or Arcadius. The same is suggested within the names of specific units like "lanceari", "ursariences", "balistarii". Gothic pikemen are pretty mentioned at least in ancient descriptions of Battle at Adrianople (can't remember the source). You can even see slinger at Bayeux Tapestry, while Procopius recorded a slinger who fell hunnic warrior. So no, nothing to debate, all is correct.

Anyway if you insist on deleting anything, use workshop section to learn bases.
    I wasn't implying that Gibbon was my main source, in fact its been so long I really don't remember it well. I brought it up to illustrate that I have been at this a long time. Thank you for the recommendation, I will try the workshop. I do not mean to denigrate your work.

If you want hyper realism play the IB3 mod when they eventually come out with it, FOTE is great but its no where on the same level in terms of research. Aetius has a lot of contacts within the historical and archaeology fields and is on top of all the latest developments regarding the 5th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    FOTE is great but its no where on the same level in terms of research. Aetius has a lot of contacts within the historical and archaeology fields and is on top of all the latest developments regarding the 5th century.
    Yeah? I guess i can doubt it. I made really deep research on sources and tried to verify every possible unit within so models were stripped of questionable gear. The fact is almost every aspect of the game - starting from units' composition ending with gear/wear is pretty questionable - starting with your Vesontes during Aetius time. Probably most Notitia Dignitatum armies (taking they are really correct) were not existing anymore about Vandals' conquest being wiped or reformed into mostly mercenary "on fly" organized ones. So Aetius himself commanded a squadron-like unit of bucellarii which you find nothing about in most sources.
    Anyway it is still a game, you may actually promise it will never be "hiperrealictic".