Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust (Alpha game)

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Rust (Alpha game)

I just bought Rust off Steam, haven't had the chance to play it yet, though I can see a few Steam friends have it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(video_game)
    http://playrust.com/about/
    http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/252490/

It's a game inspired by the likes of Minecraft and DayZ, created by the team behind Garry's Mod. You're on a big island and the goal is to survive: you can craft weapons, chop trees, hunt animals, eventually somehow get hold of firearms, build bases (check their website, some pretty huge forts there ).

It's basically a more FPS-y version of Minecraft, or DayZ without zombies and with building. It's Alpha, so very little of what it will be currently exists. Anyone remember MC Alpha? It was pretty basic. This game shows great promise, though.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Default Re: Rust (Alpha game)

Picked it up and am having quite a bit of fun with it already, looking for some other people to play with
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

I saw a guy named Nevins on a server I was playing on, was that you by any chance?

Civitate

Thats the IGN I have on it, I just had to quit the server I was on for a bit because I circled around a guy, gave him a chance and then he killed me. The shotgun is broken

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Thinking about getting it when I finally get a new computer, why does everything cost money?

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    Thinking about getting it when I finally get a new computer, why does everything cost money?
    Because its too cumbersome to mail a cow.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

We got annoyed at the lack of admins on the server we (mostly Minecraft Center guys) were on, so we decided to make our own a couple days ago.

Server Name: (UK)(PvP)(OXIDE)(NOOB FRIENDLY)
    Server IP: 5.63.147.38:28035

The server is currently running a bunch of helpful mods to fill in some of the game's gaps due to being in Alpha. Some of the things these mods add are: player lists, private messaging, group chat, and death messages. How to use these plugins is displayed in game periodically over the server messaging system. The server also has a lot of active admins to make sure any hackers etc are expediently removed (none so far).
    Last edited by Ditronian; February 03, 2014 at 01:16 PM.

I approve this message, come join us!

Poach's Avatar Civitate

As do I!

Mike92574's Avatar Tiro
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Same. Join us

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I love this game, I love this server.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Civitate

Ill be on whenever I have a few minutes, I look forward to crafting our fortress of doom

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

I'm tempted to say it and buy it even with my balls PC, how busy is the server, would it be worth it chaps?

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Early Access is for chumps. Buy a finished game that deserves your money. There are plenty out there.

And Rust is alpha. Make no mistake about that and in my opinion it's not even fun. My friend bought it and showed me it, and after an hour we were both of the same opinion. It's not a finished game. Why did he pay for it?

It's a really cowardly way to develop a game, asking your consumers to take the risk on whether the game will turn out good, instead of the developer and then asking money for it.
    Last edited by Lord of Lost Socks; February 05, 2014 at 06:29 AM.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    Early Access is for chumps. Buy a finished game that deserves your money. There are plenty out there.

And Rust is alpha. Make no mistake about that and in my opinion it's not even fun. My friend bought it and showed me it, and after an hour we were both of the same opinion. It's not a finished game. Why did he pay for it?

It's a really cowardly way to develop a game, asking your consumers to take the risk on whether the game will turn out good, instead of the developer and then asking money for it.
    +Rep.

Unfortunately we're in the age of "I want it now!"

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    +Rep.

Unfortunately we're in the age of "I want it now!"
    No. We're in an age of "People say this is amazing. I can have it now without any consequence on my life. Why not buy it?"

But yeah, these early mods-turned-games are annoying. Just make sure it takes 4/5 of those features; Survival, loot, crafting, zombies, no faction vs faction war - in the bestseller list on Steam.
    You've got no customer support to get your money's worth or if the game will ever be finished. Really exploit the lack of Steam's quality security as there are early access-games on the list that haven't had an update since april 2013.

That said, Day Z is a pretty cool, stable game with a mate.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Civitate

There is always someone thats going to come here to whine. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I feel like I have already got my $20 investment out of it and it isn't even finished yet.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Early access just gives developers a reason to release unfinished games that are immune to criticism. Early access at best, should be a more or less feature complete beta meant to iron out the last bugs before the final release. Anything other than that is an alpha, and do remember people, beta's and alpha's used to be free.

If you're charging money for it, then you've in all but name released the product and it's completely fine to slam it. Potential post-release support for an unfinished game was never a reason to not criticize it when they were taking your money for it.

Early access should have a max time limit for how long you can stay in early access or be kicked off from the store. I wonder if some of the early access games will ever truly be released. If you look at stuff like Folk Tale, it's already been in early access for 8 months and probably won't release this year either.

And yes, I won't buy it. Doesn't make the business practice any better or less anti-consumer than preorder bonuses, season passes and other such nonsense. And the fact that people like to defend these things is just depressing.

And their description:
    “We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.

I have no reason to trust a game dev that admits that they don't even know what they're doing. You don't even know what game you're buying. And frankly, based on the fact that everyone and their mother seems to be buying this game (based on this game being top 2 top selling on steam for the past weeks along with DayZ), I don't even see why they'd want to continue developing this game that much since by the time they're finished those interested will probably already have bought it.
    Last edited by Lord of Lost Socks; February 05, 2014 at 09:37 AM.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    There is always someone thats going to come here to whine. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I feel like I have already got my $20 investment out of it and it isn't even finished yet.

Each to their own.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    And their description:
    “We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.

I have no reason to trust a game dev that admits that they don't even know what they're doing. You don't even know what game you're buying. And frankly, based on the fact that everyone and their mother seems to be buying this game (based on this game being top 2 top selling on steam for the past weeks along with DayZ), I don't even see why they'd want to continue developing this game that much since by the time they're finished those interested will probably already have bought it.
    If you don't trust them, don't buy it. I know I bought a game for €19 that I enjoyed for ~130 hours, which is longer than I have spend on many other games.

General complaining about early access can go here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...games-on-steam
    Last edited by Mangerman; February 05, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast