View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Default Re: War of the Silmarils

..damn

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    Good day to all,
    As the only current active member I have decided to not continue the development of this mod any further. So yes this mod is dead.
    If someone wants to continue this mod I'll send him the map files so they can work on something). I've learned a whole lot of things regarding unit making along the years and have come a long way since my humble beginnings as a concept artist. I learned to draw a concept, I learned to reskin a unit, I learned to create a new texture from the ground, I learned to normal map in layers, I then learned to model some basic things, I'm still learning to UV-map so that the units look good.
    For this I give many thanks to the team who admitted me in the first place.
    I will dedicate my time helping other mods, and perhaps one day come back to the Silmarilion and finish the quest...
    Farewell lads!
    Any chance you'll release the units as open source?

Sorry to see this go - I've been looking forward to it.

Any chance of a final update on progress, just so anyone thinking of taking over can see what's left to be done?

It would be a real shame if all the work that has been done just gathers dust on someone's hard-drive...

First of all, sad to hear that this submod is dead.
    There is still development of First Age: Total War. I think, you can contact VIR as he seems to be the only active member of it currently.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Well, there is Silmarillion: Total War still in development.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Too sad, but can't you upload the files that was finished or at least files you have?

I can not believe we have 20 different mods on the third age, one who ventures into the fourth age, changes that make the world fights between monsters, etc ... and no one dares to help end this lovely project covering a much better that war of the ring era, and also involves the most beloved works of Tolkien. It's a shame.

Yeah too bad. There were two Silmarillion projects for M2TW, and both are dead. That gives us more responsability to finish our mod.

War of the Silmarils had great units for Kingdom of Doriath. Ours are in the same spirit. If you want to check it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Silmarillion).

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Slurm's Avatar Foederatus

Its the power of the movies, no movie or tv serie, no interest, its a pity

I kind of doubt this mod died for lack of interest.

we have 20 different mods on the third age, one who ventures into the fourth age, changes that make the world fights between monsters,
    Then, how could you explain that?apart from the fever for westeros mod and such. Definitely media drives us

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Haha, you have to build a far better case than that to sell the thesis, Slurm; how to explain all mods out there with no motion picture media behind it that are released compaired to all started mods with motion picture media behind it that dies and fails?
    However, I do concur media often have a positive impact on motivation, to attract uninitiated modders that is, obviously (fan support for a Silmarillion mod for example is undoubtly grand). But when it comes to a modding project that requires years of dedicated effort it's only a little piece in a massive puzzle, where RL factors, modding capacities and resources and sensible ability to teamwork play the greater part.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

how to explain all mods out there with no motion picture media behind it that are released compaired to all started mods with motion picture media behind it that dies and fails?
    why dont you see it upside down? anyway I only have to use basic maths to sell my thesis as you say, how many mods are there about Third age? a lot of them, now add every mods based on the other ages or covering other lands of Arda, maybe you can got 3-4. I bet if by any chance a movie about any other age was done, many people would turn on willing to make a mod based on it (BTW im looking forward eager PCI:LA).

However, I do concur media often have a positive impact on motivation, to attract uninitiated modders
    I didnt say the opposite, only that media drive us like sheeps, we have not to be sociologist to reach this conclusion

when it comes to a modding project that requires years of dedicated effort it's only a little piece in a massive puzzle, where RL factors, modding capacities and resources and sensible ability to teamwork play the greater part.
    100% agree and my best respects for all those whom spend their free time in making funny and many times very high quality stuff for others to enjoy them.

No one helped make this mod, only a few people put in a decent amount of time and effort. The map is pretty much done (done enough to set up the campaign) and quite a few units are also done (plus quite a few units of mine they were going to use) but this mod never had a capable mod leader to make stuff happen. Most of the time it was just one person making units and no one else was working on anything so naturally that one guy got sick of it and quit. These are the reasons this mod is not being worked on. It didn't die, it just never had a proper modding team to begin with (or one person that knows a lot to do most of the work). It would probably only take about six hours of leisurely coding to get a campaign working but no one is willing to work on it except the unit maker that quit for good reason. I could take it over and get a good campaign working in a short time but I already have another project I am making solo, so eff that. So if anyone is willing to actually do some campaign set up work and not just be interested in someone else doing all the work, then post here and this mod can be finished.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 16, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I get where you're coming from perfectly well, still the ratio would tell us that there's far more risk of failiure of a motion picture media-inspired mod than a book inspired mod, because of the amount of motion picture media-inspired mods started, and if two of two fails comapired to one in twenty manage, then what may be expected to result in success? Generalizations and percentages are VERY messy arguments, that has been part of my education and I do not trust a numbred conclusion that's not been twisted on its head a few times first to secure alterative explanations
    While it may be correct to say that the group with a motion picture media-inspiration that generate a working mod is the most likely to deliver, the fact is that it is also the least likley to accomplish a working mod... I love logic and statistics ^^

Thus the matter of inspiration is so ambigious that it's close to nullidied, and the matter of modders personal determination is put in the proper spot light. Mind you, I am not blind for that this modding come from TATW that was inspired from the films hehe, and that I without a fuzz can say I like the FotR's aethetics ^^
    Yet alreadyded describes the situation perfectly, and DCI is one I can present as example myself (hope you'll like it when out btw ). My inspiration did not come from the films but from the fact that the DCI mechanics had resulted in the technically opportunity to finally create the kind of Last Alliance there should be, and that inspiration came from the LotR book and Silmarillion, that I love.
    And, what makes it different from mods that fail, is how much the persons behind it are willing to invest. Being fairly experienced I know that is far superior with 3 dedicated and skilled modders in a team than 30 skilled modders who just think it's a neat idea because they seen a cool scene in a movie.
    I've seen mods, even about the Last Alliance, rallying loads of modders who liked a scene in a flick, but that did not delivered anything because there was no real heart in it. Much of what I know about modding I've learned during the DCI:LA-project and that is because I from my heart want to fulfill a beloved Tolkien book adaptation vision of mine, and thus I am ready to learn and spend time and energy, and others joined that cause. That is why DCI:LA in difference to many previous projects (SA:TW excluded) will deliver.

I hope someone with some love and determination will take up this flag soon; or Macilrille will try to make me bring it on after my current project is out and I don't want to even think about that
    Last edited by Ngugi; June 18, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

While it may be correct to say that the group with a motion picture media-inspiration that generate a working mod is the most likely to deliver, the fact is that it is also the least likley to accomplish a working mod... I love logic and statistics ^^
    The more people who likes something, the more chances to create a development team, if you have a development team is ´easier´ to accomplish (obviously the success percentage rises) a mod than if you are alone on it. And this amount of people interested on TA is due to movies, alike that westeros. Im enought old to know what interest did arouse TLotR before and after the movies, and as of their release was a madness, everybody was a Tolkien fanatic ond so on.
    to clarify a thing, in not against TATW submods, just the opposite, love them, only that i feel shame for all those ones based on any thematic which have a great potential but finally they gone for good. I hope war of the silmarils wont be the case and finally could be released sooner or later
    hope you'll like it when out btw
    Im pretty sure it will
    Last edited by Slurm; June 21, 2014 at 04:52 AM.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Haha, you have to build a far better case than that to sell the thesis, Slurm; how to explain all mods out there with no motion picture media behind it that are released compaired to all started mods with motion picture media behind it that dies and fails?
    However, I do concur media often have a positive impact on motivation, to attract uninitiated modders that is, obviously (fan support for a Silmarillion mod for example is undoubtly grand). But when it comes to a modding project that requires years of dedicated effort it's only a little piece in a massive puzzle, where RL factors, modding capacities and resources and sensible ability to teamwork play the greater part.
    He has a point. Let us compare. Third Age, which is inspired by the movies and follows their aesthetics and themes (And disregards the books far too often for my liking) had a sizable dev team while in development and has the following statistics on Mod DB.

Spoiler for TATW Mod DB Statistics

Visits: 7,413,817 (1,498 today)
    Last Update: 5 months ago
    Watchers: 3,450 members
    Reviews: 408

Now, on the other hand, Fourth Age: Total War which is book-based and has no relation whatsoever to the movies, and also is probably the most underrated TW mod ever has the following.

Spoiler for FATW Statistics on Mod DB

Visits: 474,976 (203 today)
    Last Update: 5 days ago
    Watchers: 285 members
    Reviews: 9

Now, let us look at the most popular mods on Mod DB at the moment. They are A Clash of Kings for M&B:Warband and the A Game of Thrones mod for CKII. Both of them are based on a series of books with a highly popular TV series adaptation.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

People watch TV way much than they read, sadly.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Really sad that this didn't come to fruition in the end, I was looking forward to this from the day it was announced.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

although the mod the fourth age of the TW is very good, it is, and is very much inspired by the books (little inspiration can have as Tolkien almost did not write about this age), the first age is a universe filled with things that more like in the movies; powerful armies of elves, men and dwarves, battles with dragons and Balrogs and other powerful creatures and legendary characters.

With all due respect the fourth age can never be compared to the events described in the Silmarillion and I think the TW deserves a mod of the First Age.

Too bad it's no modding field, would have lent my support without hesitation ....
    Last edited by Ngugi; June 27, 2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: on request