Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genetic predisposition to obesity

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Default Genetic predisposition to obesity

I came across this when searching about diets and on a whim I decided to search for genetic predisposition to storing fat. Or specifically I searched for the fat gene. Not surprisingly I found that research had been conducted that found a gene associated with this but the early suspect gene FTO was showing uncertain signs. Later research has now said that FTO is linked to the gene IRX3 which regulates the expression of the first gene. What the research has shown is that without IRX3 the body does not produce as much white fat and in fact produces brown fat which is easier to lose and burn through. More in depth information can be found here.

This article is on IRX3 research
    http://news.uchicago.edu/article/201...ciated-obesity

bellow is the old information on FTO
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/07July/P...e-obesity.aspx

Some further links

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0312150057.htm

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture13138.html

I hope you enjoy digesting this data and information and that regarding this we can chew the fat.

Epilogue:

Since "Winter is coming" and it will be colder the following might help with regard to the above.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0204123619.htm

Shivering and moderate exercise may help turn white fat into brown fat and then be easier to burn through.
    Last edited by G-Megas-Doux; September 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Epilogue

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Genetic predisposition to obesity

Being cold on purpose. Sounds idiotic...
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Quote Originally Posted by Town Watch View Post
    Getting frost bite yes, making your body work to keep you warm not so much. Is it any more idiotic then exercising?

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

On the flip side, I have a much harder time sticking to a healthy diet when it starts to get cold out. I see it as a sort of "Winter is coming, eat up!" genetic reaction.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Of course, you could also catch obesity, what with Adenovirus serotype 36 being a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    On the flip side, I have a much harder time sticking to a healthy diet when it starts to get cold out. I see it as a sort of "Winter is coming, eat up!" genetic reaction.
    I feel better regarding my weight in winter, I keep the house at 16 degrees C as well so that helps me lose weight. When spring comes I tend to put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Loveless View Post
    Of course, you could also catch obesity, what with Adenovirus serotype 36 being a thing.
    Sadly that is true, however as there are people with that strain who are not obese, there is likely a predisposed weakness to that disease.
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: consecutive postings

Also credit avatar from.

flota's Avatar Tiro

Predisposition doesn't mean someone is gonna get it.
    I shower daily with cold water
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Loveless View Post
    Well, there is a difference between the relatively benign subcutaneous obesity and the visceral obesity.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Town Watch View Post
    Let me put it this way. Those researchers in Antarctica. They're on a 6000 calorie diet or something insane like that usually. And they're maintaining even weight.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Too many agendas involved in limiting antibiotic use these days for this to pass the smell test, I'm of this opinion.

Dr Graham Burdge, Reader in Human Nutrition, University of Southampton, said:

“The study by Bailey et al. investigated whether there is a link between obesity in childhood and treatment with antibiotics in infancy. Unfortunately, the design of the study, like those which preceded it, did not allow testing as to whether antibiotic use during infancy causes obesity in childhood, only that there may be an association.
    The whole study is completely useless outside of a "mmm thats interesting" without caloric intake data and the like.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Let me put it this way. Those researchers in Antarctica. They're on a 6000 calorie diet or something insane like that usually. And they're maintaining even weight.
    It's an extreme way of doing it to be sure. What's worse though a guy forcing his body into an extreme situation to make it lose weight, or a guy who's too fat or too lazy to lose the weight so just gets an expensive surgery instead?

The diet industry is full of extreme behaviour though. At the very least you have to subject people to long term starvation through a calorific deficit. Then there are more restrictive diets that say you must not eat x type of food. Also even if you do lose weight unless you are eating protein and performing specific strength exercises you will lose muscle mass before you lose fat because the starving body burns muscle first. So again putting someone in a fridge for 15 minutes at 3 degrees and then having an hour work out and actually burning brown fat sounds much less extreme and more effective.

Also credit avatar from.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    The diet industry is full of extreme behaviour though. At the very least you have to subject people to long term starvation through a calorific deficit. Then there are more restrictive diets that say you must not eat x type of food. Also even if you do lose weight unless you are eating protein and performing specific strength exercises you will lose muscle mass before you lose fat because the starving body burns muscle first. So again putting someone in a fridge for 15 minutes at 3 degrees and then having an hour work out and actually burning brown fat sounds much less extreme and more effective.
    Dieting can be extreme done wrong or wacky, but its not really extreme if done properly. I managed to lose a lot of weight and gain muscle without putting myself in the freezer

Nothing wrong with the idea, but people make losing weight far more difficult then it needs to be.

My shameful truth.

Just for fun sake I will tell you of what I eat between Monday last week and Tuesday this week.

1 x roast chicken, 3 x Salmon filets, 1 x 500g pack of red seedless grapes, 1 x 250g pack of raspberries, 1 x 100g pack of blueberries, 2 bowls of porridge each with a table spoon of blueberry jam. 1 x pack of spring onions, 9 x bananas, 3 x 30g packets of almonds, 1 x packet of Tomatoes (cant remember the weight) 8 x 568ml of full fat milk, several bottles of buxton water, 1 x mug of orange juice pure.

With that amazing diet I went from 220 llbs 2 oz to 210 llbs 6 oz. Its amazing how much you can lose in a week and a bit doing nothing.

Also credit avatar from.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    Just for fun sake I will tell you of what I eat between Monday last week and Tuesday this week.

1 x roast chicken, 3 x Salmon filets, 1 x 500g pack of red seedless grapes, 1 x 250g pack of raspberries, 1 x 100g pack of blueberries, 2 bowls of porridge each with a table spoon of blueberry jam. 1 x pack of spring onions, 9 x bananas, 3 x 30g packets of almonds, 1 x packet of Tomatoes (cant remember the weight) 8 x 568ml of full fat milk, several bottles of buxton water, 1 x mug of orange juice pure.

With that amazing diet I went from 220 llbs 2 oz to 210 llbs 6 oz. Its amazing how much you can lose in a week and a bit doing nothing.
    You should do a macro break down and see how many calories you are getting. My theoretical maximum for losing weight in a week would be, based on my lifestyle and no metabolic slow downs, about 6 pounds a week. Now due to extra water loss I'd lose more weight from glycogen stores being depleted, but actual MASS loss would be about 6lbs (assuming I burn about 3000 calories a day which is actually slightly above my average, at least before I started crossfit).

Its not an exact science, but my warning would be don't loose too fast due to muscle break down potential. The rule of thumb is 1lb a week, personally I think 2lbs is ok if you are doing resistance training and high protein.

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Too many agendas involved in limiting antibiotic use these days
    Unless you have a political agenda, don't mix political agendas with scientific studies.

The whole study is completely useless without caloric intake data
    No, it's not useless without caloric intake data.There are many factors that increase a child's risk of becoming overweight. Caloric intake (diet), family history and family factors, socioeconomic factors, psychological factors, lack of exercise, etc. A risk factor is something that increases your likelihood of getting a disease. Many factors usually working in combination increase the risk of obesity. It seems that the early use of antibiotics is another factor that can increase the risk of obesity.
    Last edited by Ludicus; October 02, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    It's an extreme way of doing it to be sure. What's worse though a guy forcing his body into an extreme situation to make it lose weight, or a guy who's too fat or too lazy to lose the weight so just gets an expensive surgery instead?
    It's not a healthy way to lose weight. And I posted my example of what being cold does to your body. Those guys down there are doing what they're doing to specifically maintain weight as a goal after all.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Unless you have a political agenda, don't mix political agendas with scientific studies.

No, it's not useless without caloric intake data.There are many factors that increase a child's risk of becoming overweight. Caloric intake (diet), family history and family factors, socioeconomic factors, psychological factors, lack of exercise, etc. A risk factor is something that increases your likelihood of getting a disease. Many factors usually working in combination increase the risk of obesity. It seems that the early use of antibiotics is another factor that can increase the risk of obesity.
    Early exposure to broad-spectrum antibiotics was also associated with obesity (RR, 1.11; 95% CI, 1.03-1.19 at 0-5 months of age and RR, 1.09; 95% CI, 1.04-1.14 at 6-11 months of age) but narrow-spectrum drugs were not at any age or frequency. Steroid use, male sex, urban practice, public insurance, Hispanic ethnicity, and diagnosed asthma or wheezing were also predictors of obesity; common infectious diagnoses and antireflux medications were not.

Its just a very vague and not very useful bit of information at this point. Very much correlation and causation issues.

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Steroid use, male sex, urban practice, public insurance, Hispanic ethnicity, and diagnosed asthma or wheezing were also predictors of obesity; .
    And your point is?

Conclusions and RelevanceRepeated exposure to broad-spectrum antibiotics at ages 0 to 23 months is associated with early childhood obesity.... narrowing antibiotic selection is potentially a modifiable risk factor for childhood obesity.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast