Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The origins of the prohibition of pork in Judaism and Islam

Default Re: The origins of the prohibition of pork in Judaism and Islam

according to archaeologists, the pig taboo was an attempt by the biblical authors to unite the people of the southern kingdom of judah and the northern kingdom of israel into a united monarchy ruled by the judahite kings from jerusalem. for details please google "origins of the prohibition of pork consumption"

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I find it rather strange that in a country where the Law was the ultimate to living a Godly life, Jesus found a herd of swine in which to put evil spirits and then send them to be drowned. Why were there swine there in the first place? And why was it that Peter was told nothing was unclean if it came from God? Just a thought!

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Honestly. Few weeks I had a platter of bacon and it was just as good as mediocre sex. I was really hungover though and starving.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Logios's Avatar Senator

I usually eat pork every day, but not if has been in the fridge since 2009

Funny that out of the religions to whom the recognition of God's existence is really, really important, 2/3 ban one of the few things which might arguably be admissable as evidence - namely bacon.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    Honestly. Few weeks I had a platter of bacon and it was just as good as mediocre sex. I was really hungover though and starving.
    Then you clearly cooked it wrong. A good bacon and egg sandwich can be better than good sex.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    I find it rather strange that in a country where the Law was the ultimate to living a Godly life, Jesus found a herd of swine in which to put evil spirits and then send them to be drowned. Why were there swine there in the first place? And why was it that Peter was told nothing was unclean if it came from God? Just a thought!
    The difference between the unclean and clean animals is their diet. Every animal that was considered clean were solely herbivores and those that were unclean were carnivores or omnivores, which a pig was. It was a separation of life and death in animals. It was to separate them from other nations, not that Israel always follwed that, but when Christ came he came for all mankind and this separation is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    The difference between the unclean and clean animals is their diet. Every animal that was considered clean were solely herbivores and those that were unclean were carnivores or omnivores, which a pig was. It was a separation of life and death in animals.
    Your explanation is not accounting for rabbits, hyraxes, and camels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123