Thread: Need help regarding 3D modeling . . .

Default Need help regarding 3D modeling . . .

Hello,

So over the last 2 weeks i've really wanted to get into modeling for total war games, mainly Atilla:TW

Do note that I have never made a mod for any total war game or ever modeled before

now I've managed to make this helmet wich is about 700 polygons:

Now assume that I know nothing of modeling, which is kind of true as this helmet is one of my very first ever models.

So here is where I am really struggeling :

1) Normal maps : which I think is what makes dents in the armor/helmets
    2) texturing - ive tried but I really suck at unwrapping, I'm good with photoshop but find it hard with the messed up maps
    3) I think would be rigging. How do i know my model is the right Size and that it will fit a soldiers head . . . and how do I properly rig it ?
    4) actually trying to get a model ingame
    5) Whats the max polycounts on armors helmets etc by the engine ? ( I heard the helmet was around 1000 Polygons)
    6) did I miss something important ?

I have looked around for these tutorials mainly on youtube but have found very little when it comes to Total war games

Any help here would be appreciated , as I have seen some really cool mods in the making where I would love to help out, yet I feel very useless right now !

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Need help regarding 3D modeling . . .

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Moved from the TWC University.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Here is a link that i m keeping for better times , seems related even if is not matching to all your questions .

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Up-and-Helmet

And i have to tell you that having a good UV map is unfortunatly some important thing.( for example having the parts who have to receive many détails from diffuse and other texture as regular as possible ( near orthogonal projection ) is a good things.

I will follow your efforts with interest.

Best regards.
    Last edited by FréreAne; March 19, 2015 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FréreAne View Post
    Here is a link that i m keeping for better times , seems related even if is not matching to all your questions .

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Up-and-Helmet

And i have to tell you that having a good UV map is unfortunatly some important thing.( for example having the parts who have to receive many détails from diffuse and other texture as regular as possible ( near orthogonal projection ) is a good things.

I will follow your efforts with interest.

Best regards.
    Hey, thnx for willing to help me out !

Your link cuts off in the middle and just leads to 404 Page

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Normandy07 View Post
    Hey, thnx for willing to help me out !

Your link cuts off in the middle and just leads to 404 Page
    Sory for it ,hope the upper post resolve the problem.

Something arround the UV map , since your material ( here look to be some prefab material used in your meshes editor ) are not sure to be exported as it on an other display motor ),
    use of textures is the way to use to have some render ( different than a black without reflexion) in this other space ( since there is no material in warscape engine , as far i know )
    so having some textures ,been abble to provide an equivalent , is needed ( even if they may be somewhat automaticly done through the use of some function in your meshes editor)
    Last edited by FréreAne; March 20, 2015 at 05:48 PM.

Sometimes modders come to me and ask me to tutor them in 3ds max and specifically how to import your creations into the game.

I propose a trade in kind. I want the vanilla female models and their clothing with their textures from Attila. If you extract those files and upload them for me to mediafire then I will tutor you step by step to get your helmet into the game.

The tutoring usually takes one session of around an hour over steam messages and sometimes using imgur to show each other screenshots.

If you accept then PM me.