Thread: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Default Re: Divide and Conquer Public Beta Release - New Version 0.5 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Hadgard View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone else is have a problem with erebor attacking allies and not the evil men . iny campaign the have attacked thranduin halls and taken it plus the vale and are now attacking the dunedain in the north. This is a real problem for me because I am Gondor and I see this potential threat from an ally that will that me for ever to kill. Any advice for this problem
    In my Erebor campaign Thranduil keeps sending spies every turn, in some turns I even excute 2 or three of them, only to do the same on the next turn. If the same happened when the AIs are dealing with each other, I could unerstand very easily why even AI Erebor goes for the head of that treacherous Mirkwood imp. But I have no idea why they are going for the other factions.

I only once played a campaign where Khazad Dum lost their only settlement (Khazad Dum itself) and went crazy after that, attacking literally EVERYONE they could reach, Rohan, Isengard, OoMM, Anduin, Lothlorien, Dol Guldur, Dunland and me (Imladris). They declared war on the mentioned factions in between three turns after loosing Khazad Dum.
    Last edited by FengrAvUlver; August 12, 2015 at 01:15 PM.

I was so excited when I saw that governor buff in the changelog!Now they can start generating money instead of just basically paying for themselves!Also...Is there any way to avoid the extremely negative traits that my governors seem to get like corrupt,lazy,drunkard etc.I tried it all!Demolished the inn build line in every city,demolished the culture build line for the dwarfs(since the first tier is a brewery,I thought that gave them the social drinker trait)when I had enough culture points and did the good ol`Med2 "exploit" of low taxes in every city,expect when a building is about to finish,then you set the taxes to very high to get the best traits...Nothing works...Is it because of the corruption modifier for distant cities?!Some advice would be helpful...Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    I've said this before, several times, but I strongly recommend players looking for some kind of challenge to limit themselves to one General per army. It makes battles in the early game, so, so, so much more exciting.

Incidentally there will be some changes to Generals and bodyguard units in 0.51 which should be out the door very soon:

- The unit size of all bodyguard units has been significantly reduced. Heavy cavalry bodyguards especially so.
    - Bodyguards are now free upkeep when garrisoned in any settlement with the Town Hall line of buildings. Thus it's now a lot more financially wise to use more of your generals as governors rather than out in the field.
    - You can now recruit additional Generals from your capital via training bodyguard units, they replenish very slowly so about 30 turns per General. The AI can train them from 2 additional settlements so they can pump out more (to offset the fact that players are a heck of a lot better at keeping their Generals alive than the AI; or at least they should be!).
    I've no clue about the mechanics, but wouldn't it be better to reduce the replenish rate instead of size? I like the idea of having a (really) OP unit, but once they lost their man, they're lost for a (maybe long) while. Or (maybe also in addition) they could not replenish at all, but can be retrained at extremly high cost like twice the cost of comparable elities. So you would really have to double check whether you want to throw in your General units to kill half the enemy army but lose most of their men.

Anyway I like the changes on BGs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    I've said this before, several times, but I strongly recommend players looking for some kind of challenge to limit themselves to one General per army. It makes battles in the early game, so, so, so much more exciting.

Incidentally there will be some changes to Generals and bodyguard units in 0.51 which should be out the door very soon:

- The unit size of all bodyguard units has been significantly reduced. Heavy cavalry bodyguards especially so.
    - Bodyguards are now free upkeep when garrisoned in any settlement with the Town Hall line of buildings. Thus it's now a lot more financially wise to use more of your generals as governors rather than out in the field.
    - You can now recruit additional Generals from your capital via training bodyguard units, they replenish very slowly so about 30 turns per General. The AI can train them from 2 additional settlements so they can pump out more (to offset the fact that players are a heck of a lot better at keeping their Generals alive than the AI; or at least they should be!).
    It's really the most usefull reform you could do in this fantastic mod. It will revolutionne the game, especially for all faction with cavalery bodyguards.

Congratulations for this bold decision !

The two others decisions are quite good and comfortable too (free upkeep and recruitable generals).

Quote Originally Posted by GetScared View Post
    Im having a weird issue where the playing a battle in dale always crashes. Sometimes it says "fatal graphics error" and other times its the famous "Medieval 2 had encountered an unspecified error"
    I should note I am playing as the dwarves as a reinforcement army, and Dale is defending with almost a full stack (including garrisson units) and OOTMM is attacking with a full stack.

Sometimes the battle starts working but I get about 5 frames a second, at least when my camera is facing dale. When I face my camera toward my own troops where they're coming in then I get pretty much normal FPS.

Its weiird though because yesterday this battle worked perfectly fine for me except for the crash at the end of the battle.

Any ideas anyone? I deleted the descr geography files btw.
    Try lowering your unit sizes. Most of my crashes are due to having to many units but usually at bridges and fords

The above image links to the Youtube playlist of this series!

Quote Originally Posted by mustache97 View Post
    Also...Is there any way to avoid the extremely negative traits that my governors seem to get like corrupt,lazy,drunkard etc.I tried it all!Demolished the inn build line in every city,demolished the culture build line for the dwarfs(since the first tier is a brewery,I thought that gave them the social drinker trait)when I had enough culture points and did the good ol`Med2 "exploit" of low taxes in every city,expect when a building is about to finish,then you set the taxes to very high to get the best traits...Nothing works...Is it because of the corruption modifier for distant cities?!Some advice would be helpful...Thank you!
    Okay, don't leave taxes on low, with the same governor in charge, for more than four turns in a row. Regularly move your governors & generals. Leaving them idle (with 100% movement points at end turn) gives chances of bad traits (I've had generals get the Lazy trait while besieging a city). I try to make it a habit to rotate all my governors every fifth turn. And if I am looking at a particularly city during the turn, I will move the governor in and out of it. Or try to do things that get the anti-trait to the negative trait, eg the anti-traits to Corrupt are Upright and Loyal, using characters with those traits makes it more difficult to get the bad traits (look over Salisian's trait guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/931592-me...war/faqs/50116 )
    Eventually you may have a lot of generals and governors, however, and then it becomes a pain (if I end up with too many, I start killing off the less important (i.e. those with too many bad traits or those that are not actually part of the bloodline), and you just gotta live with it, and focus on a few major ones.

edit:
    There also, for me, always seems to come a point in a campaign where a whole generation comes of age with the Insane trait, while I find it amusing to play with a character like that, when it happens to a whole lot, then it is time to open the cheat-console...
    Last edited by Infidel144; August 12, 2015 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Okay, don't leave taxes on low, with the same governor in charge, for more than four turns in a row. Regularly move your governors & generals. Leaving them idle (with 100% movement points at end turn) gives chances of bad traits (I've had generals get the Lazy trait while besieging a city). I try to make it a habit to rotate all my governors every fifth turn. And if I am looking at a particularly city during the turn, I will move the governor in and out of it. Or try to do things that get the anti-trait to the negative trait, eg the anti-traits to Corrupt are Upright and Loyal, using characters with those traits makes it more difficult to get the bad traits (look over Salisian's trait guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/931592-me...war/faqs/50116 )
    Eventually you may have a lot of generals and governors, however, and then it becomes a pain (if I end up with too many, I start killing off the less important (i.e. those with too many bad traits or those that are not actually part of the bloodline), and you just gotta live with it, and focus on a few major ones.

edit:
    There also, for me, always seems to come a point in a campaign where a whole generation comes of age with the Insane trait, while I find it amusing to play with a character like that, when it happens to a whole lot, then it is time to open the cheat-console...
    I've been considering doing a video on this as it seems alot of people don't know how to groom governors that earn 1.5k just with their presence. It's really simple just requires alot of micromanagement I might record that once I get home actually

Thank you both for your responses!Stay awesome!

You are welcome. I should mention that Salisian's trait guide is for M2 and may, in some cases, not be directly applicable to DaC. You should have a look at the EDCT file in DaC as well (for example, greek culture (Elves) in DAC cannot get the Corrupt trait, while the Byzantines in M2 are more likely to get it.

edit:
    Another thing with Corrupt, keep your treasury at less than 50000 at end turn.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopbutters View Post
    I've been considering doing a video on this as it seems alot of people don't know how to groom governors that earn 1.5k just with their presence. It's really simple just requires alot of micromanagement I might record that once I get home actually
    Yep. Too much micro some times, particularly during later stages when your family has expanded. I think I played one mod where you could pretty much leave a general alone in a settlement, and he would not get/it was harder to get the usual bad traits if he had the ancillary/trait that said he was the ruler of the settlement. It was a nice touch. I don't remember which one it was now, though.
    Last edited by Infidel144; August 12, 2015 at 07:05 PM.

So I made a guide to Medieval 2 governor traits in general, using DaC as my playground. Its in 1280p at 30fps, I didn't want to wait for 1080p 60-fps to render to get the video out. Watch if you want, I am not great at Tutorials so it may be hard to follow

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also if anyone is interested, including the dev team, I will be streaming DaC every week on Friday at around 9pm EST (I work until 7 that day sadly and need to be awake all night for Saturday overnight) so there will be regular streams where I will fail miserable while finding potential bugs and whatnot.

Also also I will be stream a TATW mod in marathon for my 400 subscriber special, I currently sit at 394. It will most likely be DaC as I found PCP a tad bit to unstable and slow paced for my liking though it is an interesting mod. It'll be at least 4 hours the Tuesday or Thursday after I hit 400, as those are my days off So that'll likely be happening in a week or so. I'll be streaming at VH/VH unlike my LPs on Youtube and holding a vote for the subscriber special on whether to be Elf, Man, Dwarf, or Evil then from there I can decide/vote on faction. I think it could be fun to get the forum posters engaged in a livestream. Fair warning: There will be facecam and it will be unpleasant

Twitch Link below in da spoiler if you wanna follow before hand to know when I stream the sub special and all that

ALSO ALSO ALSO

I noticed something odd in my Lindon campaign. I was hiding in the woods at Fornost waiting for Angmar to siege as the ND were being slaughtered but they constantly refused an alliance with me. So one turn I was suddenly at war with them and my alliance with Bree was broken. They didn't attack me, I didn't attack them. There were no prompts during the end turn that we had an armies near each other but next turn we were at war. I immediately sued for peace and they were eager enough to give me 10000 for it which barely made a dent in their money but which helped me, I was just starting to sail a Sindarian and Noldorin army to Umbar xD Well that leaves Bree completely open for the taking, might declare on them once I take Lond Daer from Endenwaith. Get peace and declare on Duneland, taking Argond and Tharbad then push on Bree from south and west
    Last edited by bishopbutters; August 12, 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Jarl Bread Maker's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by bishopbutters View Post
    So I made a guide to Medieval 2 governor traits in general, using DaC as my playground. Its in 1280p at 30fps, I didn't want to wait for 1080p 60-fps to render to get the video out. Watch if you want, I am not great at Tutorials so it may be hard to follow

I noticed something odd in my Lindon campaign. I was hiding in the woods at Fornost waiting for Angmar to siege as the ND were being slaughtered but they constantly refused an alliance with me. So one turn I was suddenly at war with them and my alliance with Bree was broken. They didn't attack me, I didn't attack them. There were no prompts during the end turn that we had an armies near each other but next turn we were at war. I immediately sued for peace and they were eager enough to give me 10000 for it which barely made a dent in their money but which helped me, I was just starting to sail a Sindarian and Noldorin army to Umbar xD Well that leaves Bree completely open for the taking, might declare on them once I take Lond Daer from Endenwaith. Get peace and declare on Duneland, taking Argond and Tharbad then push on Bree from south and west
    I had that happen with Angmar in my Woodland Realm game, also made a super governor by mistake (max trade and tax profits in a city I can get green loyalty on very high taxes all with free upkeep units).
    Last edited by Jarl Bread Maker; August 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
    Jarl Bread Maker | Gamer | Streamer | Bread Maker | Tester | New Zealander
    Twitter for streams and other thingys https://twitter.com/JarlBreadMaker
    Catch Streams here https://www.twitch.tv/jarlbreadmaker

Hello, I was wondering if anyone still has the export_descr_unit.txt file from either 0.4 or 0.3, because I would like to have it to see some stuff from that file, if anyone out there can help, thanks in advance, because I was gonna reference it with the current file for it.

terciperix's Avatar Foederatus

Hello I have been experiencing a bug I think.

Playing as Rohan in the last version Gineard keeps getting attacked by the same Dunlending army every two or three turns. They spawn in front of the city with two units of low tier archer, one unit of axemen and a general which I have killed or capture about ten times now but who is still continuing to spawn anyway.

Edit : Nevermind I found a solution.
    Last edited by terciperix; August 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM.

Jarl Bread Maker's Avatar Civis

Is there any good way to get past the faction leader settlement crash, its stopped my recent game completely (or getting a army out of a settlement).
    Jarl Bread Maker | Gamer | Streamer | Bread Maker | Tester | New Zealander
    Twitter for streams and other thingys https://twitter.com/JarlBreadMaker
    Catch Streams here https://www.twitch.tv/jarlbreadmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl Bread Maker View Post
    Is there any good way to get past the faction leader settlement crash, its stopped my recent game completely (or getting a army out of a settlement).
    We think it is due to UAC or possible having the game structure outside of program files x86.

Unfortunately neither I nor our scripter Gsthoed can replicate this crash in our games.

If anyone wants to test his game having a conflict with UAC by installing M2TW+Kingdoms outside of Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder, does not need to lose his current DaC progress.

Copy and paste somewhere ( just not in your M2TW folder ! ) your whole FOLDER WHERE DaC IS INSTALLED ( it should be Third_Age_3 folder ) and later on, after you reinstall M2TW+Kingdoms, can just copy paste it back into M2TW/ mods folder, and continue playing.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    If anyone wants to test his game having a conflict with UAC by installing M2TW+Kingdoms outside of Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder, does not need to lose his current DaC progress.

Copy and paste somewhere ( just not in your M2TW folder ! ) your whole FOLDER WHERE DaC IS INSTALLED ( it should be Third_Age_3 folder ) and later on, after you reinstall M2TW+Kingdoms, can just copy paste it back into M2TW/ mods folder, and continue playing.
    I think I had problems with an install in Program Files(x86) once which is why I put it just in C:/Medieval... So is it generally recommended to use the default path?

Will try this though and report if it solves the CTD I get with Khamul. Moving him out of the settlement and surrender Dol Guldur solved the problem though, so I could continue my Dorwinion campaign.. close to victory now

Mae Govannen
    For all of your gaming pleasure, here is patch 0.51. This will fix most if not all of the crashes that have thus far been reported. It is now almost essential to disable UAC and if possible do as ElvenKind has suggested and move DaC out of Program Files x86. In the ocntent box below and now on the first post (OP) you will find video guides of how to install all of DaC and how to disable UAC.

Please keep reporting bugs as you find them, keep enjoying and playing DaC and keep telling us about your campaigns! If you have any issue do come back here to tell us or on Mod DB but for now, happy gaming!

If you want to learn a little bit more about DaC then do head over to my Youtube page wherein you can find a plethora of DaC related information videos.

Patch 0.51:
    Mediafire - Mod DB

Installation Guidelines:
    - You need a fresh Third Age Total War 3.2 installation (3.0 plus 3.2).
    - No other DaC files are required. Only Version 0.5 Parts 1, 2 and 3 and patch 0.51.

1) Download each file.
    2) Run them as an administrator in numerical order.
    3) You shouldn't have to change the destination folder unless you have steam or you have moved it yourself, the installer defaults to where the game defaults its own installation.
    4) With Part 2, when asked about 'read-only' files, click retry for all and it will work fine.
    5) DO NOT RUN THE CLEANER AFTERWARDS. (IF SOMEHOW YOU STILL HAVE IT).
    6) Please disable Windows UAC (User account control) - ElvenKind's Guide : Youtube Guide

Videos:
    Installation Video Guide
    0.51 Installation Guide

Regards
    Arachír Galudirithon
    Araeinior e-Hûdoll DaC

Berio i refn-en-alph len. (May the wings of the swan protect you)

P.S I will now be away for two weeks. The first of these is away camping so I will leave you in the hands of the excellent modding team.

Last edited by Arachir Galudirithon; August 13, 2015 at 07:08 AM.

Laetus

Nice news Arachir, as always! Btw, is the patch save game compatible?

For the most part, yes. You should still be able to continue with any current campaigns without issue; I still have a Lorien campaign from pre .51 and it all works fine for me. Though there will be a couple of changes, such as scripting fixes and a weakened Bree, that will only take effect in new games.