Thread: Far Cry: Primal

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Far Cry: Primal

So this was just announced

actually kinda excited for this, definitely an under explored setting. Hopefully the low-tech weaponry makes animals a much bigger threat.

blurb from Ubi
    About Far Cry Primal:

The award-winning Far Cry franchise that stormed the tropics and the Himalayas now enters the original fight for humanity’s survival with its innovative open-world sandbox gameplay, bringing together massive beasts, breathtaking environments, and unpredictable savage encounters.

Welcome to the Stone Age, a time of extreme danger and limitless adventure, when giant mammoths and sabretooth tigers ruled the Earth, and humanity is at the bottom of the food chain. As the last survivor of your hunting group, you will learn to craft a deadly arsenal, fend off fierce predators, and outsmart enemy tribes to conquer the land of Oros and become the Apex Predator.

Key Features:

- RISE ABOVE EXTINCTION
    You will play as Takkar, a seasoned hunter and the last surviving member of your group. You have one goal: survival in a world where you are the prey.

- STONE AGE BY FAR CRY
    This isn’t the Stone Age you thought you knew. This is the Stone Age with irreverence and mayhem. This is the Stone Age by Far Cry.

- A WORLD RULED BY GIANT BEASTS
    After the last Ice Age, the glaciers retreated to leave behind a land blooming with nature and resources where humans and animals alike can thrive – provided they have what it takes to prove their dominance.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; October 06, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Far Cry: Primal

It looks pretty badass, hopefully there will be survival elements instead of being a full on killing machine.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, since we're not going to have guns and such, I definitely hope there's actual survival elements of some sort.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I was going to make a thread about this yesterday when it leaked but I forgot, so I was gonna do it today when I remembered...then I saw Rex already did it. You're fired, rex

Can't really tell what it will be like but I am intrigued. If this is a full game like I hope it is (and not just an expansion like Blood Dragon) I think I will be pleased...but how will we discover the map when radio towers don't exist yet?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Will the C4 now become dung bombs and the hang glider the wings of a pteradactyl (or however you write it) glued together?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Will the C4 now become dung bombs and the hang glider the wings of a pteradactyl (or however you write it) glued together?
    No dinosaurs as far as I can tell, so at least your second idea is bunk

Looks pretty awful; bland, boring, super cheesy ancient language, ... I think the biggest (and only) fun in Far Cy 3 & 4 was when you got to expriment with all sorts of weapons and gadgets, things got wild and everything was blowing up, but now they did away with that. I just don't see how they're going to make this game interesting.

Jac_PS's Avatar Civis

Well, they can make some sort of Shangri-la levels with shamanistic powers and such, some kind of magical bombs...
    But the thing that i'm liking the most is the setting. The Ice Age, if done right, is THE stage for a good hunting survival game. Aside from Ark ( never played, just watched some videos ) and Turok, theres not so many games in pre-history.
    I'm looking forward to it.

Jac_PS's Avatar Civis

And it will be realy nice if they put some tribes of neanderthals in the game, enemy or ally...

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Looks pretty awful; bland, boring, super cheesy ancient language, ... I think the biggest (and only) fun in Far Cy 3 & 4 was when you got to expriment with all sorts of weapons and gadgets, things got wild and everything was blowing up, but now they did away with that. I just don't see how they're going to make this game interesting.
    Not only that, pay attention to the animals, they are all essentially the same animals that have been in previous games. It seems that this is another re-skin only a bit braver and interesting than fc3 to fc4 transition.

I mean until they release some solid gameplay footage this is all we can speculate, but never the less I have no idea how do they intent to compensate for the lack of weapon variety.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Game should be set in Western North America. Short Faced Bears, Mammoths, Sabre Tooth Cats, American Lions, Giant ground sloths, Huge armored armadillos, Condors with 16 foot wingspans, Dire Wolves, Stag Moose, 7 foot long beavers, etc.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Apparently it will be a 60 dollar game, so the price is higher than Blood Dragon was. That kind of disappoints me though, this would have made for a perfect 10 hour expansinon rather than a full Far Cry game since it seems to me it will be more gimmicky (only spears, bows and axes for weapons obviously, no vehicles). The other possibility is that Ubi is trying to make their own massive multiplayer survival game, but then they wouldn't have given us a named character I guess.
    Last edited by Mhaedros; October 12, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    It looks pretty badass, hopefully there will be survival elements instead of being a full on killing machine.
    this is ubisoft, asking them for subtlety and originality is like asking obama to speak without a teleprompter

After watching some reviews and some controversial news, yep it's just a fancier reskin, something which modders could have easily acomplished if they had support.

The only thing that I heard some praise about, is story telling.

Nick The Hun's Avatar Foederatus

It's only €40 now for the moment on Steam, i brought it Actually i've never played any of the earlier Far Cry games. So i'm very pleased to some extent.
    The graphics and gameplay are lovely, also the environment is good. The stories are so so, alright.
    What sucks is, i have a PC and the controls aren't made for the PC and you can really feel that in the gameplay -.-' . Especially when you are fighting, but also with walking and climbing. It just doesnt feel right.
    Also the game is very much focused on exploring and finding out stuff yourself. Like subquests disappearing on your screen next to your mainquests. It's mostly about hunting, and gathering resources to make tools and equipment. And now i'm a bit further i'm also building shacks for the few friends i've made through out the story. So i got like 10 people living together all cosy, then the evil tribe attacks. So ye the story progresses. But the interaction with NPCs is uhm ye minimal to my taste.
    But for now its enjoyable