Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER - Vampire Counts Siege Battle Let's Play

Foederatus

Default Total War: WARHAMMER - Vampire Counts Siege Battle Let's Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SFM6-LC6io

Just wanted to let you know guys

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER - Vampire Counts Siege Battle Let's Play

I really dont know what to think anymore. I am not a fantasy Warhammer fan. I played a lot of W40k Relic RTS and it was a good fun. The lore itself sounds interesting and the strategic map looks super awesome.

Altdorf (hope the name is correct) looks awesome. I am absolutely enjoing the city walkthrough - it looks stunning. On the other hand - the dwarf city from earlier videos looks so and disgusting...I was really having a hard time to finish that siege video.

Some units look crazy funny (Vampire counts death cart) and some look just meh (wizzard on the flying unicorn).

Having a limited siege from only one side of the city is probably ok for a single player, but a bit meh for the MP.

Battles are super quick + now they look so "League of legend-ish". So "WoW-ish". So many random colors and not very inventive magic effects.

But what I miss the most is a sense of epicness. It just looks like an ordinary TW with different units and more clickfesting magic (so it looks more MOBA).
    Where is the real feeling that this is ing epic battles that are deciding the fate of the world with massive armies and big monsters? I mean? Where are the 40units stack when we need them to achieve some progress in immersive-visual experience?
    Siege with three towers and invisible ladders...No. That just does not cut it for me.

I think I will pas on this one and I hope they gonna bring some major changes for their new historical title (heck...I hope they are working with two teams nowadays and they will launch Medieval III next year).
    Othervise I hope there is someone else who can dig into this genre and come up with something Total War series used to be about - massive tactical battles with great strategy scheme.

This is good for the fanboys + mainstream US audience.
    Last edited by pacifism; March 25, 2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: censor bypass

Didn't they say that the cities were gonna be multi layered at higher tiers? What happened?

It's such a shame that the cities are still 25% percent of the map no matter what upgrade tiers. With the new ladder mechanic I can imagine that you could do multi layed city sieges no problem, just like Med2.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrew View Post
    and invisible ladders...No. That just does not cut it for me.
    If you ask me, the invisible ladders are just the next step for Total Wars arcadization.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrew View Post
    I really dont know what to think anymore. I am not a fantasy Warhammer fan. I played a lot of W40k Relic RTS and it was a good fun. The lore itself sounds interesting and the strategic map looks super awesome.

Altdorf (hope the name is correct) looks awesome. I am absolutely enjoing the city walkthrough - it looks stunning. On the other hand - the dwarf city from earlier videos looks so and disgusting...I was really having a hard time to finish that siege video.

Some units look crazy funny (Vampire counts death cart) and some look just meh (wizzard on the flying unicorn).

Having a limited siege from only one side of the city is probably ok for a single player, but a bit meh for the MP.

Battles are super quick + now they look so "League of legend-ish". So "WoW-ish". So many random colors and not very inventive magic effects.

But what I miss the most is a sense of epicness. It just looks like an ordinary TW with different units and more clickfesting magic (so it looks more MOBA).
    Where is the real feeling that this is fucing epic battles that are deciding the fate of the world with massive armies and big monsters? I mean? Where are the 40units stack when we need them to achieve some progress in immersive-visual experience?
    Siege with three towers and invisible ladders...No. That just does not cut it for me.

I think I will pas on this one and I hope they gonna bring some major changes for their new historical title (heck...I hope they are working with two teams nowadays and they will launch Medieval III next year).
    Othervise I hope there is someone else who can dig into this genre and come up with something Total War series used to be about - massive tactical battles with great strategy scheme.

This is good for the fanboys + mainstream US audience.
    they are working whit two teams one historical another warhammer
    try MTW2 has epic battles and you can download a warhammer mod for free
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Med2 really doesn't look that much more 'epic' than Warhammer. All the games have been the same for me in terms of feel. That said, I hope there are some multi-tiered sieges to get into.
    I'm really looking forward to this game, but I can accept that there will be the usual totalwar weirdness with the AI etc.

Senator

Darren's ability to lose makes me feel good about myself.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Well now since we know how big the sieges will be (regardless of settlement size), I hope every race will have at least more than a couple variations.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Best video yet, finally some unscripted, unrestricted gameplay. Not quite sure why Darren stacked it so heavily against himself though.

If you ask me, the invisible ladders are just the next step for Total Wars arcadization.
    I disagree, Shogun 2 had something very similar in concept and it's apparently the best TW. The conjuring of ladders as silly as it may be, is a pretty powerful tool for the besiegers to use. Shogun 2's sieges were very difficult to defend at times and that's because the AI was not limited by pre-constructed siege equipment. Now they have a huge amount of options, as well as monstrous infantry and flyers.. I'm glad they have included them, but if I were designing it I would have made every unit start with ladders in front of them which they could pick up and run with rather than just appearing, a cosmetic change with no effect on the gameplay.

Where is the real feeling that this is fucing epic battles that are deciding the fate of the world with massive armies and big monsters? I mean? Where are the 40units stack when we need them to achieve some progress in immersive-visual experience?
    In another battle? I mean he even said you can do 40v40 but this battle is 20v24 or something. If every battle is deciding the fate of the world then no battle is deciding the fate of the world. This was just a fairly normal siege.

The combat itself is an OK pace, obviously I will pick up a mod to make units larger and combat slower but for a vanilla game that actually is acceptable.

The sound effects are pretty cool, but to be honest the narration makes it hard to hear a lot of it. Wouldn't mind it they released a version with no commentary. TBH I don't know a lot about Warhammer so I'm unsure of what to think of magic effects? They seem similar to the ones in DOW, which was a fairly gritty game. The actual effects they have on the battle are very cool and a nice new direction.

Collisions are finally improved, when those Vampire Knights rode through one unit directly into another like the Rohan in ROTK was pretty satisfying.

I'm probably going to pre-order, not that I'm going to be able to pick up the game until mid-June, but hopefully by then the mods I want are out.
    Last edited by Sharpe; March 25, 2016 at 01:14 PM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post

I'm probably going to pre-order, not that I'm going to be able to pick up the game until mid-June, but hopefully by then the mods I want are out.
    I will have time to play the game around similar time so hopefully I will add larger battles/slower combat submod, provided that PFM will be updated with new tables.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Civitate

Best video yet, finally some unscripted, unrestricted gameplay. Not quite sure why Darren stacked it so heavily against himself though.
    He probably did it to give the AI a chance and to show us that the AI can actually win.

I disagree, Shogun 2 had something very similar in concept and it's apparently the best TW. The conjuring of ladders as silly as it may be, is a pretty powerful tool for the besiegers to use. Shogun 2's sieges were very difficult to defend at times and that's because the AI was not limited by pre-constructed siege equipment. Now they have a huge amount of options, as well as monstrous infantry and flyers.. I'm glad they have included them, but if I were designing it I would have made every unit start with ladders in front of them which they could pick up and run with rather than just appearing, a cosmetic change with no effect on the gameplay.

In another battle? I mean he even said you can do 40v40 but this battle is 20v24 or something. If every battle is deciding the fate of the world then no battle is deciding the fate of the world. This was just a fairly normal siege.

The combat itself is an OK pace, obviously I will pick up a mod to make units larger and combat slower but for a vanilla game that actually is acceptable.

The sound effects are pretty cool, but to be honest the narration makes it hard to hear a lot of it. Wouldn't mind it they released a version with no commentary. TBH I don't know a lot about Warhammer so I'm unsure of what to think of magic effects? They seem similar to the ones in DOW, which was a fairly gritty game. The actual effects they have on the battle are very cool and a nice new direction.

Collisions are finally improved, when those Vampire Knights rode through one unit directly into another like the Rohan in ROTK was pretty satisfying.

Ohh---I must have overheard that (well I was trying to ignore their blabing tbh, but thats just me )

I must admit that the collision system looks fantastic and adds much needed essence to the battles.

I will wait till late august for all the DLCs and experience and than I will get in with some 20% discounts or something (maybe...)

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Will they be bold enough to show unscripted siege with the AI as the attacker? Or are they afraid of the same fail of R2?

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Will they be bold enough to show unscripted siege with the AI as the attacker? Or are they afraid of the same fail of R2?
    It's stated in the comments, that they will upload a video with the AI as attacker in the future:

Nope, we'll show both sides, I'm guessing you would've asked to see us attack if we showed defence.Defence next time it is!

Very nice, liked that the lighting was better (hopefully it'll translate to the Karaks as well, which was pretty poor imo), the improved UI on spells and that similarly matched armies didn't result in a cakewalk for either side. Dare I believe this game won't suck? I've been hurt before...
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

It's definitely progress. By which I mean they reverted to things from Medieval 2 but improved on them.

I'm getting to the point where I'm actually considering ordering it early.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; March 25, 2016 at 03:58 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

I like what I see. Not going to nitpick.

Hope they have the medieval 2 kind of model to model combat, with rare kill moves being displayed every now and then.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    HAHAHAHA, that was exactly what I was thinking when I was watching the video.

If you look at the video carefully, you would notice that on the walls, the AI was a complete cluster trying to reform and form. While the siege towers were approaching, many of the gunners were not on the walls shooting, instead being positioned BEHIND THE WALLS! WTF? When they finally reached the walls, the AI was still walking back and forth trying to reform their formations LOL.

Talk about some seriously good AI.

Quote Originally Posted by J1N6666 View Post
    HAHAHAHA, that was exactly what I was thinking when I was watching the video.

If you look at the video carefully, you would notice that on the walls, the AI was a complete cluster trying to reform and form. While the siege towers were approaching, many of the gunners were not on the walls shooting, instead being positioned BEHIND THE WALLS! WTF? When they finally reached the walls, the AI was still walking back and forth trying to reform their formations LOL.
    And what would the gunners do against the towers? Nothing that I can see. If they were nearby when the siege tower gates went down they'd end up mince. Even then they'd get what? One volley off before the 4 Fell Bats units could munch them? Far better they stay behind the wall were they can actually receive support.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I disagree, Shogun 2 had something very similar in concept and it's apparently the best TW.
    Wat? Unless you are saying that Shogun 2 was the best TW because units crawled up any old wall they wanted, then you're just wrong. Just because Shogun 2 was great, doesn't mean it did everything well. Thinking otherwise is simply a logical fallacy. Shogun 2 was amazing for so many reasons; units crawling up walls was not one of them.

The correct response to seeing ladders appear out of nowhere is to wonder why RTW 1 had features that WTW can't have. No matter how you slice it, this is a step backwards.

Knowing which units had ladders was very important in RTW, because those were in the units you knew could scale the walls, and therefore had to counter using strategy. There should be some visual indicator, since this is a strategy game. Maybe every unit should just fly in WTW, who needs terrain and the strategy it offers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast