Thread: Looking for a historical reference for the word 'change'

Default Looking for a historical reference for the word 'change'

Like Pyrrhic victory for hollow victory or Munich for giving in.

I'm trying to describe a complete reversal of a opinion.

Thanks.
    Last edited by youngfool; April 09, 2016 at 08:09 AM.
    Reg: They've taken everything we had and what have they ever given us in return!?
    Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah that's true.
    Activist 1: And the sanitation!
    Stan: Oh yes...sanitation, Reg you remember what the city used to be like.
    Reg: all right, that's two things that the Romans have done...
    Matthias: And the roads...
    Reg: Well yes obviously the roads goes without saying. But apart from...
    Activist 2, 3, 4, 5: Irrigation...Medicine...Education...and the wine...
    Francis: Yeah the wine. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Looking for a historical reference for the word 'change'

Good question, what kind of opinion? First thought was capricious, from the free, irregular tempo or music style capriccio. That may not answer your question completely, but it's all I got.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you're talking about the etymology of the word, change comes from Old French changier, which in itself is from Late Latin cambiare, though to derive from Gaulish cambion. You can check out wiktionary for the complete etymology.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

He is looking for a historically inspired byword for "complete reversal of a opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by krste View Post
    He is looking for a historically inspired byword for "complete reversal of a opinion".
    Like somersault or something with saltate?

New Labour.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Praeses

The "Road to Damascus" is a metaphor for a complete reversal of opinion, referring to Saul's conversion experience. "The British cabinet, having offered Hitler peace terms now found themselves on the road to Damascus after the occupation of Czechoslovakia, and determined to prepare for war".

The text of Acts mentions "something like scales fell from his eyes", this is another metaphor for a realisation: "When the conquistadores began looting the scales fell from Montezuma's eyes, and he ordered armed resistance".

A person's "Waterloo" is the end of their career, a dramatic permanent negative change. "Hannibal met his Waterloo at the battle of Zama, and fled to the Hellenistic East a hunted man".

Another metaphor is "Walk to Canossa" where a person admits defeat, and refers to the Emperor Henry IV humiliating himself before the Pope. "Implicated by the evidence of the blue dress, Clinton finally walked part of the way to Canossa, admitting only partial wrong doing, and the electorate met him halfway".

The "Sun of Austerlitz" is a metaphor for the revelation of a positive reversal of fortune, referencing the moment in Napoleon's most celebrated battle when the sun rose, driving away the mist and revealing the French infantry advancing across the Pratzen Heights to cut of the bold Russia outflanking force. "Thomas Dewey entered the final days of the 1948 election a near certainty, but the morning after the election the Sun of Austerlitz shone on the Truman camp: his personal appeals to the electorate had overcome his party's terrible disunity"
    Last edited by Cyclops; April 12, 2016 at 08:05 PM.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

There must be hundreds of anecdotes from Chinese history.

It is said that Yuan Shao was a capricious lord whose opinion was easily swayed however he always accepted the advice that he heard last.
    Yuan Shao listened to Ju Shou, Xu You and Tian Feng first but Guo Tu last hence he made war on Cao Cao. Later Yuan Shao listened to Xu You first and then to Shen Pei last and hence he ignored Xu You's advice. This offended Xu You and he defected to Cao Cao thus ensuring that all of Yuan Shao's secrets had reached Cao Cao's ear and he defeated Yuan Shao.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 12, 2016 at 09:42 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō