Default Re: Kievan Rus Unit Additions

very nice indeed!

Any faction-specific units planned btw?

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    very nice indeed!

Any faction-specific units planned btw?
    By this you mean? All that I've made thus far were planned for Kievan Rus as a faction, unless they're moved elsewhere

EDIT: Ahh, I see what you mean. Galicia-Volhynia, Ryazan-Murom, etc. It's ultimately not my decision which units will be available for the Rus factions. That said, were I to make suggestions, I'd say the two crossbow units should be Rus-wide; dismounted Boyar sons and the Suzdal units (recently changed, I'll upload those shortly) available for Kievan Rus and Ryazan-Murom; then Northern Boyars (perhaps a tweaking of this unit to create "Southern Boyars" or something with a more western/Byzantine influence for high period Galicia; I could even change up the northern Boyars to include more northerly/Novgorod helms and give the Southern unit more Byzantine influence....thoughts?), Westernized units, and Berd Axemen for Kievan Rus only. As for Galicia-Volhynia, they should certainly have a far more Western flair (more western than the "Westernized" units), whereas Ryazan should have a far more eastern flair.

EDIT (again): You made a fair point on the crossbows earlier in the thread. I'm of a mind to say that Kiev should get the levy crossbows and dismounted boyar sons, Ryazan only the dismounted boyar sons (along with the various other archers), and Galicia the levy and urban crossbows. Emphasis on archers in eastern Rus; emphasis on crossbows in western Rus; mix in-between.

Just my thoughts. Would be happy to have your opinions on which units (from those posted above and from the original roster) should be Rus-wide or specific
    Last edited by AlexiosThe1st; July 10, 2016 at 08:39 AM.

If you do not require to differentiate units by name and stats, you could alternatively give faction dependent unit variation to the same unit. This way, a single unit can appear different and have different card depending on what faction owns it.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by AlexiosThe1st View Post
    By this you mean? All that I've made thus far were planned for Kievan Rus as a faction, unless they're moved elsewhere

EDIT: Ahh, I see what you mean. Galicia-Volhynia, Ryazan-Murom, etc. It's ultimately not my decision which units will be available for the Rus factions. That said, were I to make suggestions, I'd say the two crossbow units should be Rus-wide; dismounted Boyar sons and the Suzdal units (recently changed, I'll upload those shortly) available for Kievan Rus and Ryazan-Murom; then Northern Boyars (perhaps a tweaking of this unit to create "Southern Boyars" or something with a more western/Byzantine influence for high period Galicia; I could even change up the northern Boyars to include more northerly/Novgorod helms and give the Southern unit more Byzantine influence....thoughts?), Westernized units, and Berd Axemen for Kievan Rus only. As for Galicia-Volhynia, they should certainly have a far more Western flair (more western than the "Westernized" units), whereas Ryazan should have a far more eastern flair.

EDIT (again): You made a fair point on the crossbows earlier in the thread. I'm of a mind to say that Kiev should get the levy crossbows and dismounted boyar sons, Ryazan only the dismounted boyar sons (along with the various other archers), and Galicia the levy and urban crossbows. Emphasis on archers in eastern Rus; emphasis on crossbows in western Rus; mix in-between.

Just my thoughts. Would be happy to have your opinions on which units (from those posted above and from the original roster) should be Rus-wide or specific
    I agree with most of the points, really.

AFAIK Kyiv wasn't well-known for the use of crossbows (though they would have perhaps, if they weren't destroyed by mongols, so a basic urban crossbow would be enough). I'd love to see a heavy plated western knight for Galicia tbh, based on reconstruction I posted before.
    Muscovite riders should not be available to Kyiv imho, may be as regional mercs, but this is campaign modder's decision in the end.
    Horse archers should not be used by Galich either (Chorny Clobuki from the original roster)

Do any Rus units have tryzub on their shields or coat of arms? I haven't seen any on the screens so far. As You_Guess_Who suggested, regional variations of the units could have varying textures. Giving Kiev units tryzub as well as Archangel Michael would be fitting.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A more ancient version of tryzub, could be used for variety to spice things up

These developments could be useful too

One point though, blue and yellow were not the most prevalent colours in Kievan Rus it seems (while they were in Galich). Knyaz's main colour was red.
    This shield could be applied perhaps

At the same time, golden lion on blue field for Galich as their coat of arms
    Last edited by Beregond; July 12, 2016 at 05:58 AM.

I agree with most of the points, really.

AFAIK Kyiv wasn't well-known for the use of crossbows (though they would have perhaps, if they weren't destroyed by mongols, so a basic urban crossbow would be enough). I'd love to see a heavy plated western knight for Galicia tbh, based on reconstruction I posted before.
    Muscovite riders should not be available to Kyiv imho, may be as regional mercs, but this is campaign modder's decision in the end.
    Horse archers should not be used by Galich either (Chorny Clobuki from the original roster)

Do any Rus units have tryzub on their shields or coat of arms? I haven't seen any on the screens so far. As You_Guess_Who suggested, regional variations of the units could have varying textures. Giving Kiev units tryzub as well as Archangel Michael would be fitting.

A more ancient version of tryzub, could be used for variety to spice things up

These developments could be useful too

One point though, blue and yellow were not the most prevalent colours in Kievan Rus it seems (while they were in Galich). Knyaz's main colour was red.
    This shield could be applied perhaps

At the same time, golden lion on blue field for Galich as their coat of arms
    Completely agree with you.

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

I agree as well. I also very much like the regional variations, somewhat of a "duh" solution so thanks You_Guess_Who

My plan had been to get the basics of all the units I wanted to do and then go back and create shields and standards and suchlike. There are a number of city coats of arms and Rus symbols that I want to use, I just need to get good enough with GIMP to put them on paper and onto units. Which unfortunately won't be able to happen until I go back to school and have the time for it :/

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

@AlexiosThe1st
    Is the ´Westernized´units going to be part of a technology upgrade tree, where you can choose one path or the other? In any case, nice roster.
    Then into late 13- early 14 century westernized heavy cavalry can be introduced.

Number 1 cavalryman is from Galich. Note the helmet, lamellar and the shield.

Those 2 guys are Dzys's reconstruction, who is always pretty inaccurate and goes overboard way too often, yet some ideas could be taken from the pictures. Note the same helmet, lamellar. Also western-type horse armour on the 2nd dude.

Finally late 14- early 15 century heavy horsemen and infantry, pretty much fully westernized knight. Such troops participated in Grunwald battle
    It's a shame we can't see what all these illustrations in this thread are based on, including the massive post earlier. For example:

http://102.imagebam.com/temporarylin...he%20Horde.jpg
    http://108.imagebam.com/temporarylin...181809/124.jpg
    http://imtw.ru/uploads/imperiall/img...2c5caaa_xl.jpg
    http://imtw.ru/uploads/imperiall/img...9_original.jpg
    http://imtw.ru/uploads/imperiall/img...957_03__43.jpg
    http://imtw.ru/uploads/imperiall/img...4_original.jpg

Anyway, Here is a late era tomb effigy of a lord. From the map, it's located in south eastern Poland. It might be relevant for Galicia-Volhynia.

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/3854/

If someone who understand the language, can try to search for `tomb effigy´ or `knightly effigy´, usually from a church, then that might yield results. And that pretty much all that I can contribute. :/
    Well, good luck and have a nice day folks.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; August 01, 2016 at 01:13 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post

Anyway, Here is a late era tomb effigy of a lord. From the map, it's located in south eastern Poland. It might be relevant for Galicia-Volhynia.

http://effigiesandbrasses.com/3854/

~Wille
    I hate to break it to you but the effigy is Polish.

better luck next time

Yep and if the dating is correct this one whas crafted almost one hundred year after the dissolution of Galicia-Volhynia

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It's true the ruler of the area at the time this effigy was made came from a family from Lesser Poland, as they conquered the area in the later part of the 14th century. It's also true that in the year 1212, and for the greater part of the mod, Przeworsk (where this tomb effigy currently reside) was governed by the Kingdom of Galicia–Volhynia. As far as I know, the faction is still going to need a Late Game roster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    As far as I know, the faction is still going to need a Late Game roster.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~Wille

The faction isn't even playable in the first place so there is no need to worry about its roster for now. Our focuse should be the playable factions.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

it should be

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345