Thread: It's possible to add New factions apart of the original of Vanilla?

Default It's possible to add New factions apart of the original of Vanilla?

Hi! I would like to know if you could add new factions to your mod apart of the original or the engine doesn't allow It?
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 13, 2017 at 02:32 AM.

Default Re: It's possible to add New factions apart of the original of Vanilla?

It's possible but not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    It's possible but not easy.
    Thanks for answer!

So you are open yo suggestions about It? Because I think that I have found a very good candidate as a new horde faction for Central Arabia: the confederation/kingdom of Kindah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    So you are open yo suggestions about It? Because I think that I have found a very good candidate as a new horde faction for Central Arabia: the confederation/kingdom of Kindah.
    I guess? The main thing that is important would be for it to be a faction that has both a decent amount of historical research and can be differentiated from the other similar factions. Something like Avetis' Armenia mod is a perfect example. It's well-researched, has enough flavor to differentiate it from the Sassanids, and the actual history behind Armenia as a kind of battleground between the eastern powers (from at least the Achaemenid period if not further back) and western powers and Zoroastrianism vs. Christianity is amazing. Basically, it has to be worth the effort to modify the startpos and create new units, political parties, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    I guess? The main thing that is important would be for it to be a faction that has both a decent amount of historical research and can be differentiated from the other similar factions. Something like Avetis' Armenia mod is a perfect example. It's well-researched, has enough flavor to differentiate it from the Sassanids, and the actual history behind Armenia as a kind of battleground between the eastern powers (from at least the Achaemenid period if not further back) and western powers and Zoroastrianism vs. Christianity is amazing. Basically, it has to be worth the effort to modify the startpos and create new units, political parties, etc.
    Ok, I see your point .

Well, until where I have read the confederation/kingdom of Kindah was active in the central and parts of northwestern and southwestern Arabia since at least the II AD, as pyrates and raiders of the "Incense Road" that since Syria and Nabatea went down to Saba and later Himyar. In fact they become so dangerous for this lucrative bussines that the Roman Empire and Aksum collaborated military (the first with ships to transport the army of the second to Arabia) to repel them from the sorroundings of the route to the deep deserts of Central Arabia, and not one time if not several times (in fact it seems that during his brief reing the emperor Macrinus, 217-218, has time to send an army against them for the same reason.) And when weren´t the Romans or the Aksumites were the Arabs of Saba who should fight them to protect their commercial incomes.

Respect for the begining of the timeframe of the mod, the Kindah were a vassal nomad-kingdom of Himyar that played the same paper of the Ghassanids for the Romans and the Lakhmids for the Sassanids: control the desert frontiers of these states and defend it against the Arab bedouin tribes. In fact for 425 AD before the growing threat of the tribes of North Arabia to the trade line between Yemen and Syria, the Himyarites decided to support the establishment of a Kindite kingdom as a vassal state that controlled Central and Northen Arabia, which was along the strengthening in numbers so in military force of the Kindites being Ḥujr 'Akīl al-Murār ibn 'Amr the first King (Hujr) of Kindah.

Finally, this kingdom was a powerful enemy and rival of the Lakhamids from the north with which they were engaged in several wars during the V century, and one of his most famous kings Al-Ḥārith ibn 'Amr was able to capture the Lakhmid capital of Al-Hirah, altough for 529 the infamous pagan king of the Lakhmids al-Mundir recaptured the city and executed the Kindite king Al-Ḥārith along fifty members of his royal family. However, the Kindite kingdom survived at least until the 525 AD when was devided in minor kingdoms after the fallen of their masters of Himyar at hands of the Aksumite kingdom.

Notes:

The composition and the look of their armies were probably composed of nomadic tribes with the typicial light infantry and cavalry along some heavy elite units with equiptment obatained from their raids of the Lakhmid realm and bought form their Himyarite lords. So their armors and weapons would have been a mixture of North and South Arabian military traditions.

On other hand, it seems that at least until the VI AD century they remained pagans altough some of their tribes and clans could become jews under the influence of Himyar.

And below I put some of my sources (academic articles and wikipedia) and some pics of some archeological pieces founding in their old capital of Qaryat al-Fāw, some of which I think that could be perfect for the symbol of the faction (personally my favourite is the lion scupture):

Pics:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lion's head and tip of paw
    From Najran in Saudi Arabia

200 BC – 100 AD

Bronze

Pergamon Museum, Berlin, Germany

Roads of Arabia Exhibition: 26 Jan - 9 Apr 2012

A pic of a hunter or a knight?

Sculptures of Divinities

Bronze busts simmilar to the Himyarite ones

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

More sculptures

Links:

http://qudama-alarab.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/blog-post_6810.html

https://libral.org/vb/showthread.php?t=236753

https://twitter.com/abbasaleissa/sta...72942162096128

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindah

http://www.persee.fr/doc/crai_0065-0...um_140_2_15622

https://www.academia.edu/6492668/Tow...story_of_Kinda
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 15, 2017 at 06:38 AM.