Thread: Source files for Translations

Default Source files for Translations

Hello MK team,

I'm currently building a team to translate the February Release in French to make the mod available to people who are not very familiar with English, but we have some difficulties to find the code lines that need to be translated, because they seem to be mixed with vanilla texts, stuff for the campaign and placeholders.

Since the campaign is actually in development, I would like to focus only on Faction names, unit names and unit descriptions first. Thererfore, it would be much much easier for us if you could provide us directly the mod texts from February Release. I think it will interest not only French players but also Spanish, German and other countries as well, since many communities are active and try to translate mods in other languages.

Let me know if you are ok, and if it is possible at all,

Cheers,
    Nelduin.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Default Re: Source files for Translations

Everything changed database wise (faction names, unit names etc) is changed by Mk Base (that would be your "source file"). Everything and anything you want to do with it is explained in this tutorial.

Basically open up mkbase.pack using PFM, head to Text>db then open factions.loc (for faction names) or units.loc (for unit names); scroll down until you find rows added by us and change them accordingly.
    Last edited by FuzFuzFuz; March 23, 2017 at 07:44 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by FuzFuzFuz View Post
    Everything changed database wise (faction names, unit names etc) is changed by Mk Base (that would be your "source file"). Everything and anything you want to do with it is explained in this tutorial.

Basically open up mkbase.pack using PFM, head to Text>db then open factions.loc (for faction names) or units.loc (for unit names); scroll down until you find rows added by us and change them accordingly.
    Nelduin knows how to do the translation stuff (this would be a better link/tutorial anyways) as he's already done it for Seven Kingdoms, he's asking for you guys to isolate the stuff that you actually edited since I presume your files have vanilla stuff all mixed up in it as well.

In that case just scroll down until you find them. It's not that hard to find if you know what you are looking for.

Edit: There were some translation links posted a few days ago in the MK Base comment section, not sure about their functionality.

Last edited by FuzFuzFuz; March 24, 2017 at 06:50 AM.

Fuz, I think they mean as in to separate the .loc files as a separate pack file, so people don't have to redownload stuff. Rather, they can just change the names of stuff and create a new language mod without hassle.

I think it would be a great idea for us to do this, but we're still constantly updating units and we might break our promise of not having another sole release of just units. We will drive the language modders crazy with our constant fixes. Lol

Exactly! We are already working like you are suggesting, FuzFuzFuz, but it's very very time-consuming because we have to look into thousands lines to find which ones is vanilla, which ones are MK and they are quite mixed in a file. It could be a lot easier if you provide us that stuff. About updated units that's not a problem and it's the burden of every translation.

Anyway if you do that you will make MK likely available to other languages, and that's as a good thing for the team as for the players. Plus if you do that on every release we can update the translations easily and quickly.

~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

So, have you considered my request?

We always wanted for translation packs, however the database isn't ready yet. As you stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    but it's very very time-consuming because we have to look into thousands lines to find which ones is vanilla, which ones are MK and they are quite mixed in a file.
    This is exactly the problem. Right now we are doing database reforms. This includes naming (and stats) standardization between the individual devs because as of now every devs have their own system. As we're changing the database periodically, it would broke translation pack in every fix and patches. As the one that dove to the db to do this, I don't want to burden you with ever-changing db. So, please wait until the database reforms are finished.

Ok I understand, indeed it's better to wait until everything is standardized to start a translation. Just please remember to tell the community when the database is ready to be translated. In the meantime, keep up the good work!