Thread: Texture Mapping

Default Texture Mapping

Hey guys.

A question. 3DSMax can do texture maps in both the 256x256 and 512x512 range, right? Is there a way to get it to read a 512 map in the 256 resolution?

Let me explain. I had an idea for saving myself drive space and at the same time getting extra space on a texture map by using 256 textures on a 512 texture file. Officers are in 512, units in 256. So by using unit textures on the background of an officer texture, I thought I might get more space to play with.

In theory, I could combine several unit textures into one file (e.g. Militia Hoplites, Hoplites, and Armoured Hoplites, say). This way, I could use the one texture file for several units. By doing some UVW manipulation in Max, I could share some parts of the texture (e.g. heads), add parts unique to the different units, and still have lots of room for accessories, all on one file. Entire shields, for example, could be used without having to cut them in half or quarters. Or, it could also allow designs that don't have to be symmetrical, like Parthian criss-crossed tunics. And the best part, though the texture files would be larger, there would be much fewer of them, thus not taking up so much space in the files

Unfortunately, when I tried out one of my new textures in Max, the texture gets the horrible, pixelated resolution of when you shrink the UVWs real small, even when I try remapping.

Is there any way around this? I'm not real familiar with Max, but I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Default Re: Texture Mapping

could you post a picture of your uv maps and maybe an in game screen?
    Last edited by Publius; February 22, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    could you post a picture of your uv maps and maybe an in game screen?
    I don't believe an in-game shot is necessary, as it shows up in Max quite by itself.

1a)Original texture (256x256) with UVWs

1b)on the model in 3DS Max 6. It's not as bad as the pic, but JPGs suck, as we all know.

2a) Same UVWs on an early version of my new texture, using 256x256 textures on a 512x512 file. As you can see, whether you use a 256 or a 512 image, the UVWs stay the same.

2b)After manipulating the UVWs (i.e. shrinking, moving vertices, remapping, etc.), this is the best look I've gotten.

I think what I need is a way of enlarging the texture map without the UVWs resizing as well. Or perhaps the model itself needs adjusting, since Officer models, which use the 512 textures, can also use the 256 textures used on Units, and Unit models can use the 512.

Yet for some reason Max automatically resizes the UVWs to fit. Load up an Officer texture on a Unit model, and you'll see what I mean.:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by sleighr View Post
    I don't believe an in-game shot is necessary, as it shows up in Max quite by itself.

1a)Original texture (256x256) with UVWs

1b)on the model in 3DS Max 6. It's not as bad as the pic, but JPGs suck, as we all know.

2a) Same UVWs on an early version of my new texture, using 256x256 textures on a 512x512 file. As you can see, whether you use a 256 or a 512 image, the UVWs stay the same.

2b)After manipulating the UVWs (i.e. shrinking, moving vertices, remapping, etc.), this is the best look I've gotten.

I think what I need is a way of enlarging the texture map without the UVWs resizing as well. Or perhaps the model itself needs adjusting, since Officer models, which use the 512 textures, can also use the 256 textures used on Units, and Unit models can use the 512.

Yet for some reason Max automatically resizes the UVWs to fit. Load up an Officer texture on a Unit model, and you'll see what I mean.:hmmm:
    Just out of curiosity, you aren't thinking what you see in the viewfinder is the actual texture lod, are you? Press F9 to take a render of the unit (this is what the unit looks like in game).

Still mildly confused as to your problem, are the UV's reverting to their old place when you try to export? Make sure that after you apply the unwrap UVW modifier, you convert it back to editable poly afterwards (vs deleting the modifier, which will delete everything you did and leave you where you started).

[QUOTE=Publius;1533288]Just out of curiosity, you aren't thinking what you see in the viewfinder is the actual texture lod, are you? Press F9 to take a render of the unit (this is what the unit looks like in game).

I did think that actually.

Jeezus. Now I know I'm a noob. Sorry for wasting your time.

No worries, wouldn't be much of a community if you couldnt ask questions. Glad it's resolved

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

I thought the same a few days ago, till someone pointed out the rendering...

Quote Originally Posted by mac89 View Post
    I thought the same a few days ago, till someone pointed out the rendering...
    Well, I knew about rendering but, God knows why, it didn't even cross my mind to try it. Being ignorant about it is one thing. That's excusable.

Since I knew about it, and yet I've spent about a day and a half trying to figure this out...jeezus!

Time to go abuse my liver. Cheers guys