Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

The different tiers determine military technology of the time. Sweden is just lacking later technological units at the moment.

Mmh, I know that, with top tier I just mean that it ought to be a good unit. Maybe not equal to the best of the French heavy cavalry or something like that, but still a really good unit

I've read it was rather rare for the Swedish and Finnish "knights" to actually fight in the European cavalry fashion. The mounts were used to provide mobility, but once the knights wanted to join the battle, they would dismount and fight on foot. This is due to the nordic terrain in which they fought. Sweden and Finland (where most of Swedish wars were fought during this period) is was densly forrested, wild land with few open fields or valleys to suit cavalry tactics. So, I don't think Swedish cavalry should be very elite. Instead they could have a more "elite" infantry version.

EDIT: Removed the part that was obsolete.
    Last edited by Whitey McKnightey; June 07, 2018 at 02:53 AM.

Nah, that was more early period. Once they modernized their Men-at-Arms/Squires (Svennar. The full name was Sven-vid-Arm, or Sven-at-Arms. Recieved knightly training, but haven't gotten knighted due to only the king being able to knight people) started to fight more and more like their mainland counterparts. Heck, landowners, when wealthy enough were obligated by law to own a warhorse to ride in battle

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Stoked to be able to play as the Swedes, as a swede. Will they have access to the Gotland units aswell? and the Hanseatic ones? you guys have done a great job on their roster. But of course Im greedy for more units

Yeah, regional units would be very fitting. Sami, Finnish, Gotlandish and of course the famous Dalecarlians.

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

I will surely make a submod for the Swedes if possible to include the above ones. Dalecarlians, are there any resources for those? are you one of them perhaps?

Sami didn't provide military units. They paid the tax of fish and leather instead. I'll have to do some more reading around for Finnish Tribes. I can't find anything on Dalecarlians except toy horses and longest lasting runic alphabet, and maybe some revolts here and there. Were there any special military units from Dalarna?

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Sami didn't provide military units. They paid the tax of fish and leather instead. I'll have to do some more reading around for Finnish Tribes. I can't find anything on Dalecarlians except toy horses and longest lasting runic alphabet, and maybe some revolts here and there. Were there any special military units from Dalarna?
    My understanding is that they were mostly just considered a hardy, and bit isolated people often up for a good fight. Which is why Gustav Vasa specifically went there when rebelling against Denmark

Oh, and a question: have you decided to go with the a three tier heavy Cav system for Sweden?
    With the svens as the young men that have recieved knightly training but haven't been knighted. (Fun tidbit, there was a Swedish King who was a Sven his whole life, cause his dad couldn't knight him before he died, and for some reason he just didn't Knight himself)

Knights as the guys that have garnered enough political connections and glory on the battlefield to get the king to knight them and give them their golden spurs

And The Frälse who are the top cream of Aristocracy (Technically Knights were part of this class too). Though they might fit better as the lords and generals.

Tier is maybe bad phrasing. But ranking.

(I'd appreciate it if a Mod could merge these posts as I havenät unlocked the ability to Edit them yet)

Basically how the knightly system in Sweden worked: During the 13th century the Kingdom of Sweden centralized, with the last bit of big resistance against it being crushed at the battle of Sparrsätra 1247.
    And though Sweden had Frälse and some form of Heavy Cavalry before, by 1280 The King made a formal declaration of the establishment of Nobility, and that those that served him as mounted knights would be elevated to the "Adel" and liberated from taxation (So yes, this meant that those dubbed knights always served the king directly). Other nobility would also be responsible for supplying the king with soldiers.

So essentially, since I misremembered a bit before.
    Svens: The base Heavy Cavalry of Sweden, recieved knightly traiing
    Knights: The handpicked Elite serving the king directly.

Unlike Svens, the Knights would also have their own Heraldry
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 12, 2019 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Posts merged.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang12 View Post
    (I'd appreciate it if a Mod could merge these posts as I havenät unlocked the ability to Edit them yet)
    You need 25 posts before you can edit your posts.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang12 View Post
    My understanding is that they were mostly just considered a hardy, and bit isolated people often up for a good fight. Which is why Gustav Vasa specifically went there when rebelling against Denmark

Oh, and a question: have you decided to go with the a three tier heavy Cav system for Sweden?
    With the svens as the young men that have recieved knightly training but haven't been knighted. (Fun tidbit, there was a Swedish King who was a Sven his whole life, cause his dad couldn't knight him before he died, and for some reason he just didn't Knight himself)

Knights as the guys that have garnered enough political connections and glory on the battlefield to get the king to knight them and give them their golden spurs

And The Frälse who are the top cream of Aristocracy (Technically Knights were part of this class too). Though they might fit better as the lords and generals.

Tier is maybe bad phrasing. But ranking.

Basically how the knightly system in Sweden worked: During the 13th century the Kingdom of Sweden centralized, with the last bit of big resistance against it being crushed at the battle of Sparrsätra 1247.
    And though Sweden had Frälse and some form of Heavy Cavalry before, by 1280 The King made a formal declaration of the establishment of Nobility, and that those that served him as mounted knights would be elevated to the "Adel" and liberated from taxation (So yes, this meant that those dubbed knights always served the king directly). Other nobility would also be responsible for supplying the king with soldiers.

So essentially, since I misremembered a bit before.
    Svens: The base Heavy Cavalry of Sweden, recieved knightly traiing
    Knights: The handpicked Elite serving the king directly.

Unlike Svens, the Knights would also have their own Heraldry
    I've been binge reading the Scandi-wars of 1280-1320 for a while now, such as biographies of Jarl Alv Erlingsson and King Haakon the 5th of Norway. It's like Game of Thrones on steroids, unbelievably fascinating. Non-stop action and war. To top that off, if I had a nickle for every time someone broke an oath and turned their back on friends, I would be the richest man on earth. One thing I noticed was how the king of Sweden (Birger) was a complete tool for just about anyone sitting on a horse. I've heard the same words about medieval Swedish monarchs in general by other historians.

Weak king, strong nobles. One relevant example was Duke Erik of Sweden: he carved his own recognized kingdom in the center of Scandinavia, fought against all the Scandinavian kings simultaneously and came out as a legend. I remember one diplomatic incident in Bohuslen between the king Norway and the Swedish duke, it was basically peace talks and Haakon had the upper hand at this point. The peace talks ended abruptly. Håkon of Norway went berserk and almost killed Duke Erik of Sweden in a fury due to the peace-terms the duke proposed. I'm surprised Erik managed to run away, considering the size of his balls! It's fascinating just how powerful Swedish nobles were compared to kings, almost as if it's a unique Swedish characteristic.

Was there such a thing as a strong Swedish king during the high middle age?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

I made a Birkebeiner unit for the Swedes for a personal submod. Would be to be able to insert them in the Mercenary slot in Sweden

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
    I made a Birkebeiner unit for the Swedes for a personal submod. Would be to be able to insert them in the Mercenary slot in Sweden

Cool looking unit man!

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Cool looking unit man!
    Thanks. Apart from the actual birch greaves its all MKTW stuff. To browse through their stuff is simply mindblowing

Quote Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post

Mmmm, can I have some historical background for this unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    I've been binge reading the Scandi-wars of 1280-1320 for a while now, such as biographies of Jarl Alv Erlingsson and King Haakon the 5th of Norway. It's like Game of Thrones on steroids, unbelievably fascinating. Non-stop action and war. To top that off, if I had a nickle for every time someone broke an oath and turned their back on friends, I would be the richest man on earth. One thing I noticed was how the king of Sweden (Birger) was a complete tool for just about anyone sitting on a horse. I've heard the same words about medieval Swedish monarchs in general by other historians.

Weak king, strong nobles. One relevant example was Duke Erik of Sweden: he carved his own recognized kingdom in the center of Scandinavia, fought against all the Scandinavian kings simultaneously and came out as a legend. I remember one diplomatic incident in Bohuslen between the king Norway and the Swedish duke, it was basically peace talks and Haakon had the upper hand at this point. The peace talks ended abruptly. Håkon of Norway went berserk and almost killed Duke Erik of Sweden in a fury due to the peace-terms the duke proposed. I'm surprised Erik managed to run away, considering the size of his balls! It's fascinating just how powerful Swedish nobles were compared to kings, almost as if it's a unique Swedish characteristic.

Was there such a thing as a strong Swedish king during the high middle age?

~Wille

Hard to say, until the late 13th-early 14th centuries when the Folkunga dynasty took over from the feuding Eriks and Sverkers, and began to turn Sweden into more of a continental style feudal state, the basic "lord" was the Jarl, who was an official whose official role was to manage the kings lands and property whilst the king was away (With the Riksjarl serving as basically a prime minister), however, at the same time the various regions of Sweden had their own Things, which established local laws by public voting and acted as courts to settle disputes, and had their own Lawspeakers whose role it was to memorize all these local laws. With the Jarl and King likely serving as arbitrators/judges with the aid of the Lawspeaker, as well as collecting taxes and organizing the armies.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Looking forward to playing a fleshed out Swedish Kingdom! Keep up the awesome work!
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789