Thread: [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

Centenarius

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

Indeed, essential.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Hey guys,

Sorry for a long absence and thank you very much for your much valuable feedback.

Please, feel free to always share your thoughts. Those I will always read and take into account even if I don't respond directly.

Meanwhile, the patch 1.3.1 I have been working on the past few weeks is now ready. The patch is focused solely on bug fixing and balancing.

Check the opening post for the download links. Steam links have also got updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the complete patch notes;

• Fixed the bug that gave the scripted money bonuses to the human Epirus, Macedon and Parthia (both AoH and AoH Lite)

• Slightly increased autoresolve bonus to the defensive battles for the major factions (both AoH and AoH Lite)

• CAI changes (AoH only);
      • Increased tendency for the CAI to group its army stacks while defending
      • Further decreased the military aggressiveness of the Seleucid satrapies
      • Decreased reliability policy for the Seleucid satrapies
      • Slightly upped the military budget spending percentage for total war and last stand set-ups
      • Increased settable tax level for different war set-ups
      • Some slight modifications to strength multipliers in threat calculations
      • Several minor changes to the task management priorities

• Changes to the Recruitment Script (AoH only)
      • Carthage gets a temporary bonus to the number of the recruitment slots
      • Decreased penalty for the Seleucid satrapies of Lydia, Arachosia, Drangiana and Aria as they were previously not able to recruit anything at all, or were recruiting very little
      • Increased penalty for the Seleucid satrapies of Asargata, Parthava and Persis as they were previously still able to recruit quite numerous forces
      • Decreased penalty for Rome, but increased its duration

• Significantly decreased a number of fleets available per imperium level with one fleet permitted on the lower imperium levels, two on the higher and three on the highest two levels (AoH only)

• Slightly decreased the number of allowed army stacks on the highest imperium levels (AoH only)

• Food Import Edict: the cost of food import replaced with provincial tax rate instead of empire maintenance – initially the edict allows to import 3 units of food at the price of -25% tax rate. Certain buildings allow for the increase in the amount of imported food (AoH only)

Centenarius

Thank you for the update!

Great submod Seleukos. Chapeau bas for giving us some additional flavour to the mightu DEI. Turn 92 as Atropatkan Dynasty just before a final clash (hopefully) with Seleucids. My economy (powered with an alternative economy submod) is thrivng mainly because of a constant development of my cities and some valuable resources as gold and iron. However as I see there is something a bit strange in a population system. My kingdom is constantly dealing with a food shortage (approx. -20) mainly because of a lack of sufficient agriculture facilities. The strange thing is that a population of my cities are constantly rising even if the overall provincial growth has been null since the early stage of my game. There is a severe hunger in my empire but I has not noticed any serious penalties such as revolts, depopulation, plagues etc. I have to admit that my understanding of the population system is rather basic and maybe there is a good reason for this empty stomach happiness syndrome.

Second thing that bothers me is the complete lack of any structure damage after winning sieges. I can understand that it is working as designed but for me an occasional fire or buildings colapse could give some extra spice to the overall very tasty gaming experience.

Thanks guys!

fokin, that's not actually in any way related to this mod, but the population system is entirely independent of things like food, public order, etc.

That said, you still need to make sure that you keep your food above zero as otherwise you will suffer some penalties to your public order and your armies won't replenish. Basically, you have got to find some balance between military, economy, happiness and food buildings.

Regarding the damage to the buildings, those are hard-coded limitations to the game and there is nothing that modders can do about it. Attila has actually some interesting siege escalation mechanics, but not Rome 2.

Just here to post an update. I am past turn 100. Baktria, Macedonia and Egypt are all doing ok.

I am secretly hoping Seleucids will reappear.

I am wondering if you had any plans for further delaying the invasion of Greece by Rome in your submod. I really like the DeI mod overall but I could never get past the fact that Rome always invades and conquers Greece early in the campaign leading to them ignoring much of the western Mediterranean. For me it ruined the campaigns I was playing in the west as Rome is not the threat it should be, while if I am playing in the east I don't get to really enjoy reenacting the wars between Hellenic kingdoms before I get Roman legions thrown at me.
    One of the things that got me interested in your submod is that you made some attempts to delay this invasion which makes the game more enjoyable (well at least for me). However, in most of my games Rome still arrives in Greece before turn 50. In my play throughs it seems that the speed Rome conquers Greece is tried to whether the Punic War starts before the Romans finish off the Aiakidai. If the war with Carthage starts after Rome has conquered Italy but before they arrive in Greece then AI tends to focus on the war with Carthage sometimes leading to Rome and Aiakidia make peace and the invasion of Greece is greatly delayed (it will still happen long before it happens historically but its more resendable). However, I have found that if the Punic War happens after Rome has a foot hold on the Greek mainland then AI tends to ignore their war with Carthage and focus much more effort on conquering the east.

I realise that Rome moving to Greece early is probably not a major concern to most players of this mod but if you did ever decide to have a look at it maybe a new script (like the one that triggers the Punic Wars in the main mod) would be useful. Maybe having a scripted peace between Rome and the Aiakidia after Rome conquers southern Italy would further delay the invasion of Greece.

Centenarius

I agree with your observations. Many times I use the easy diplomacy mod to force a peace between Rome and Epirus after Epirus is pushed from the heel of Italy if I play as Rome or Epirus to get around this. If I play a mainland Greek faction I always go for Epirus first so that Rome will not invade Greece so early. An elegant solution to this would be better and perhaps Seleukos can work some magic and implement it in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by david-gb View Post
    I am wondering if you had any plans for further delaying the invasion of Greece by Rome in your submod. I really like the DeI mod overall but I could never get past the fact that Rome always invades and conquers Greece early in the campaign leading to them ignoring much of the western Mediterranean. For me it ruined the campaigns I was playing in the west as Rome is not the threat it should be, while if I am playing in the east I don't get to really enjoy reenacting the wars between Hellenic kingdoms before I get Roman legions thrown at me.
    One of the things that got me interested in your submod is that you made some attempts to delay this invasion which makes the game more enjoyable (well at least for me). However, in most of my games Rome still arrives in Greece before turn 50. In my play throughs it seems that the speed Rome conquers Greece is tried to whether the Punic War starts before the Romans finish off the Aiakidai. If the war with Carthage starts after Rome has conquered Italy but before they arrive in Greece then AI tends to focus on the war with Carthage sometimes leading to Rome and Aiakidia make peace and the invasion of Greece is greatly delayed (it will still happen long before it happens historically but its more resendable). However, I have found that if the Punic War happens after Rome has a foot hold on the Greek mainland then AI tends to ignore their war with Carthage and focus much more effort on conquering the east.

I realise that Rome moving to Greece early is probably not a major concern to most players of this mod but if you did ever decide to have a look at it maybe a new script (like the one that triggers the Punic Wars in the main mod) would be useful. Maybe having a scripted peace between Rome and the Aiakidia after Rome conquers southern Italy would further delay the invasion of Greece.

Hey guys,

Yeah, I totally agree with you. The fact that Rome would always focus first on Epirus and then move straight into Greece has always been really annoying to me, too, and it was initially one of the reasons why I wanted to make this mod.

Previously, I had an idea to script it so that once Rome takes Taras then the peace is declared between Rome and Epirus and their relationship is set to neutral. I realised, though, that it was very often that Rome would take Apollonia first with their fleet and then move into Taras and that basically rendered my idea useless as that obviously wouldn't make sense to cease the hostilities between these two factions if Rome is already on the eastern side of the Adriatic and Epirus still in Italy.

However, what I guess was a pretty good remedy to this problem was to significantly strengthen Macedon and set the relations between some of the northern tribes and Rome to hostile so that they quickly go to wat against each other and then Rome needs to automatically focus on the north plus, once the Punic War triggers, also on the south.

In my current campaign, for instance, that I have been playing as Baktria and that I started playing with AoH 1.3, Rome has yet to establish themselves in Greece even though I have already played around 275 turns. They have already crossed the Adriatic a couple of times, but each time either Macedon or their client Athenian Tyrants have driven them out.

That's how the campaign looks like for me at about turn 275;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And how's that in your campaigns? Does it still happen that Rome gets into Greece so early in the game?

Centenarius

Interesting, in all my years of playing I have never seen Rome take Apollonia first by sea. Rome has always besieged and taken Taras first and only then would it take Apollonia.

I have had three AOH v1.3 campaigns so far. In each one Rome is definitely more distracted to the north (good job!). Deppending on what happens in Greece with Macedon/Epirus, Rome will take Apollonia or not. In my current Baktria campaign Rome and the Odrysons have completely taken mainland Greece. Macedon and Epirus were destroyed. Rome and the Odrysons are now on the shores of Aisia minor and I will be faced with them shortly. I am at around 170 turns in.

Perhaps make Macedon dislike, and be agressive towards, Epirus from the start of the campaign? That would ebsure that Macedon focuses on taking Apollonia before Rome can.

And also buff Carthage in Spain as I have have mentioned before that they always have a hard time there and it makes giving Rome a good fight difficult for them.

Really enjoying the mod Seleukos, thank you for your efforts!

Been enjoying 1.3.1 a lot so far! I'm playing with Cultural Tensio+ (hardcore version), Hard campaign difficulty. Here's the geopolitical status after 50 turns: https://i.imgur.com/5H2YggI.jpg

Greeks looking strong all over, Epirus is a Roman client state, Seleucia seems to have been focused on fighting Atropatkan and Armenia and trying to conquer Jerusalem (they finally succeeded and liberated them) while the Ptolamaioi have mostly gotten their asses beaten by everyone.

Campidoctor

Full version is compatible with Alternative Economy, Cultural Tensio and PIGS and it's strongly recommended that you use these mods in tandem for the best DeI campaign experience
    Are these still recommended/currently compatible? I'm unfamiliar with Rome 2 and its mods, what load order should I use for them?

Age of Hellenism has been updated to the newest version of Divide et Impera 1.2.6. Check the download link in the opening post.

Age of Hellenism Lite needed no updating.

Dooz, sorry for a late reply; Cultural Tensio is definitely still recommended. So is PIGS, though, I don't know if PIGS is currently fully compatible with Divide et Impera 1.2.6 (probably not 100%). With Alternative Economy it's more complicated since I based my CAI modifications off the economy scope in the standard DeI, though I don't think that really matters much. So if you want you can definitely play it with AE.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

PIGS is compatible but the standalone version is pretty much outdated, with less refinements than testudo version.

I see, thanks for the heads-up, Jake!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    PIGS is compatible but the standalone version is pretty much outdated, with less refinements than testudo version.
    Any hope for an update to the standalone version Jake?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

yes, I'll do, it but I wanna overhaul many things and I'm not modding politics now nor soon.
    As soon as I do the testudo version I'll update the standalone, nothing before autumn/winter though.

Is AoH mod compatible with the Alexander sub mod ? I would like to play DEI + ALexander, AoH and Cultural Tensio. What order should i load them ? Thank you.

Hey overrider, no unfortunately AoH isn't compatible with the Alexander submod. I've wanted to make an own version of AoH for Alexander, but I have never got myself to do that. I will most likely look into this the next time I feel like playing the Alexander campaign again.

Good mod but Macedon is unnecessarily too strong.
    As Rome, I can't seem to defeat them. I besiege Pella as it's their only city, out of nowhere they keep sending my general a full stack army or half, as if the script blocks macedon is being destroyed.