Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Changes:

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Upcoming Changes:

I think it would only fair for me to explain to all of you what's going to change in the next Hotfix\Patch...or whatever you want to call it. This will be the last one before we start switching over to the new campaign, start date, factions, etc. Also, I am doing my very best to make sure it is totally save game compatible......everything I've changed has been plugged into one of my own campaigns and hasn't hurt anything. In fact, I'm at 194BC and haven't had a CTD yet.

First of all, there will be new stats by Angel which have corrected a few problems. The Legions and Romans in general are a bit more powerful. Archers and missle units in general a lit less powerful, and less moral so they run away when you chase them. All Greek units have been made MUCH more powerful to deal with. I felt they were weak and lost too easy. Now they are a force to deal with. Overall, my personal feeling is that these stats are almost perfect.

Secondly, there are a few minor texture (skin) changes that you won't really notice...except battles will be a little more 'crisp', performance-wise.

Third, and this is the major change, a lot of work has been done on the economy again....not because it was such a major problem in HOW MUCH money people had, but because of the way it gets spent (or not). RS tends to have very high happiness, law and health in it's cities....which is good, because I really don't like dealing with cities that are constantly rebelling and giving you a headache. But because this happiness was so high, players didn't really have to build all that much to keep them happy. But all that has changed.

Now, in order to keep your towns and cities nice and 'green-faced', you'll have to spend money to keep them that way. What will happen is this:

You build a governor's palace when the city reaches that level, and your citizens are going to start 'demanding things'. They want sewers, baths, markets, farms, and public facilities to make their lives easier. You, as their leader, will have a choice: build them, or your people will get more and more unhappy until they don't like you very much anymore and seek another ruler.
    Also, they will start leaving your cities...population will fall, citizens will grumble and riot. Yep, you'd better build them what they want, because they know other cities have it!

By and large, you'll have the money to do this, AND maintain your military. But there won't be a lot of excess unless you find loopholes I'm not aware of of. The whole point of this, actually, is to require the player and the AI to keep their people happy, so a lot of money gets spent on buildings rather than just on armies. In consequence, there are less armies and a bit less feeling of being overwhelmed. The Free People..every faction...must abide by these rules.

The effect on your campaigns may well be that you'll have to 'rethink' your tactics. For instance, in my own, I have had enough money to keep my little Roman Republic happy, and defend myself from the invading hordes of the Gauls, Germans, Iberians and Free People...but income is dropping and my military is chewing everything up. So i have had to carefully plan 'punitive strikes' into enemy territory...especially into Iberia....to not only distract them from trying to invade me, but to loot, sack and exterminate their cities to damage their economy, steal their money and pull out their teeth! I've done this once to them, and I guess they didn't get the message, so I'm planning another. The previous one netted me a nifty 60000 denarii of badly needed cash!

Fourth, there are now in place 'income penalties' for expansion. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Repman's BareBones8, but he had a system in his mod that penalized the player's armies if they were in enemy territory by subtracting money every turn. This involves the same concept, but it's done without a script and it doesn't really 'subtract' money. Instead, the system lowers the amount of income you're going to get from conquered territories, based on how far away from your homelands they are.

For example, if you take a region right next to your homelands, the penalty will be very small. But if you take a region in Briton, and you're playing Pergamum....watch out! That will cost you a bundle.

So these are some of the changes you'll see in the next Hotfix.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Default Re: Upcoming Changes:

Hi
    What are the new chamges for the new campaign?

Also about the income penalties will it still be less enough to surrive?
    I know spoiling the enemy and destoring their buidling does improve the cash flow.
    And will lower the green face if you destory buildings. Which does cause alot of problems. But whati find is the free peoples along with other waring factions will not wait for you. And that extra money how little it is does help!
    Iam right now in the date 190 b.c. i have all gaul,75% of spain .
    and faceing 6 stacks of Iberians to my 2 legions.
    Yet in some cities like gaul and upper germany are starting to revolt.
    I cant build anything there anymore! Tryed to remove the gov.
    and put more troops in. nothing! I lost two cities already.
    which are costing me to rebuild them because of their locations and positions
    to hold back the free peoples.
    Then i have 5 stacks of other free peoples now attacting my homelland cities.
    So the point is could there be more of a building tree to help moral and income? more wheat? trade, what can be done?

Sounds like a good challenge!

We'll uncover very shortly the new changes...

New factions
    Faction icons
    The new map

As well as....
    A mega unit preview featuring a load of new units for some existing factions and one of the new factions

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Everything sounds great but that lowered income of conquered regions. Will that stay permanent or will the income go up over the years?
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Sounds cool.

Taelok's Avatar Senator

So will it now be harder to have a huge empire due to the cost of having territorys far away?

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Its a permanent income reduction outside your home area of influence, you can think of it as the cost of maintaining your empire at a long distance because the distance to capital penalty is insignificant.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

So what you are saying is that with Romans you really can't have the Rome that it hitorically whas because it's not worth it?
    Does not sound good at all. The first thing about forsing the AI and player use more money on cities and having just few powerfull armyes sounded very good, but this other new thing sounds like making the concuering of egypt impossiple for the Rome.
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    So what you are saying is that with Romans you really can't have the Rome that it hitorically whas because it's not worth it?
    Does not sound good at all. The first thing about forsing the AI and player use more money on cities and having just few powerfull armyes sounded very good, but this other new thing sounds like making the concuering of egypt impossiple for the Rome.
    No, no. You are misunderstanding. It depends on the faction. A smaller faction like Syracuse or Pergamum will have major problems with this, but larger kingdoms like Parthia, Armenia, and Rome would have significantly lower problems expanding. Basicly if you play as Syracuse and invade the Cimmerian Bosporus, which Syracuse never ever had a chance to control, you will get penalties. Rome however, wouldn't. This is how I understand it. Correct me if I am mistaken, Dvk.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I personally don't like just having a few armies under rome's command. I love having armada's of romans. I mean at any given point I have like over 250,000 troops in total. And like 50,000 in reserve. Just giving my opinion.

Patrician

You will still be able to build empires, and you will still be able to have all the armies you want, basically. What I DON'T want to see is players with a million denarii saved up so you can buy anything, bride whole nations, and buy the military out from under your opponents. When people tell me they can do this, I get very upset...I don't like 'Rome Total Shopping'. This is supposed to be a challenging and intersting mod you have to THINK about to play....not 'VANILLA Total War' with all the money you could ever want.

It was difficult and costly for any nation to control or expand an empire. But Rome will be able to finance it with careful play and playing by historically pillaging the surrounding nations.

All we're doing is taking all that extra money and 'obliging' you to pay to keep your cities happy and carefree. You don't pay, your people will NOT love you for it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Oh well that's good. Cause if my armies were taken away from me then I would have completly lost it.

i dont know, at this point in the year 190 b.c. as the romans i have about 30,000
    or less and just holding my head up out of water.
    Gaul is mine and also spain, Carth is at war with me now also mace.
    And they have grown into a powerfull empire.

But my income is under 25,000 or 30,000
    I need armys to protect myself and fighting other threats.

not more money or income to romans..its ok..fair.
    in 200 bc 50-60.000 denarii one turn.

why quick attack??patiently..from 280 bc to ad 200 is just long..lol

just first build city with farm,forum and port and take city of free people before go in war with other faction..

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    i dont know, at this point in the year 190 b.c. as the romans i have about 30,000
    or less and just holding my head up out of water.
    Gaul is mine and also spain, Carth is at war with me now also mace.
    And they have grown into a powerfull empire.

But my income is under 25,000 or 30,000
    I need armys to protect myself and fighting other threats.
    If you play as I do, and build all the buildings you people need to keep them happy anyway, you won't even notice the difference. AND, remember, the AI has to do the same thing as well...so it balances out. But I wouldn't play anything higher than H\H...or you'll get owned.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I have a question about the "Fourth, there are now in place 'income penalties' for expansion." I really looking forward about this setting. I just wounder if RS team can add one or two buildings like Rome realism, that function as occupation and nationalization which help to strengthen the settlement, eventually reduce income penalties to the minimum. Do you think that is possible?

Does anyone like one year four turn function should be add or not?

The problem with one year four turn is that it makes things even more unrealistic time wise. Even on two turns per year it takes too little time (historically) to get to the Marian reforms - imagine it if you can fit in twice the number of turns per year!

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidj View Post
    I have a question about the "Fourth, there are now in place 'income penalties' for expansion." I really looking forward about this setting. I just wounder if RS team can add one or two buildings like Rome realism, that function as occupation and nationalization which help to strengthen the settlement, eventually reduce income penalties to the minimum. Do you think that is possible?
    Yes! I liked that system in RTR as well! You had to build all kinds of stuff to make the settlement more Roman, and then you could make them Roman Citizens. I loved that!
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Patrician

We're working on our own version of 'colonization'. It's just there's so much to do, and so few hands...

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

DVK. You need to recurit more people. Force people if u have to. GET MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast