Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Bollywood

Default Lets talk Bollywood

Come on to the biggest film industry in the world. I saw Partner a few days ago - lets just say, if you've seen Hitch, you'll notice more than a few similaritiees. Some of the same lines infact. Naqaab is a good movie, a great thriller. Plan to watch Apne soon, and then Chakde India.

I dont expect many replies here. The Fish, pra, ragnar, gimme some help.

Default Re: Lets talk Bollywood

Uh .. I'm not really into Bollywood movies, although there are a few that are quite good. I'm not on-board with the mellow dramas that appear in every movie and the dance sequences =(

There's this Amir Khan movie called Lagaan, which was a real fun movie.

Oh and you can't have a Bollywood thread and not talk about Mr.India! I watched that movie 50 times when I was a kid!

*Mogambo khush hua*
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat View Post
    Come on to the biggest film industry in the world. I saw Partner a few days ago - lets just say, if you've seen Hitch, you'll notice more than a few similaritiees. Some of the same lines infact. Naqaab is a good movie, a great thriller. Plan to watch Apne soon, and then Chakde India.

I dont expect many replies here. The Fish, pra, ragnar, gimme some help.
    Dont even think of watching Apne ... its a horrible movie with some horrible acting as expected since there are the 3 deols in it !!!

Chak De India should be good though i doubt SRK's acting skills now !

Anyways ... lets see

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

The few times I've ever watched a Bollywood movie, I've kept thinking to myself, "our culture came up with the Mahabharata, Ramayana, and bharatanatyam, and now THIS? WTF happened?"

Yeah. I blame the Brits.
    "In whom all beings have become one with the knowing soul
    what delusion or sorrow is there for the one who sees unity?"
    -The Isa Upanishad

"There once was a man John McCain,
    Who had the whole White House to gain.
    But he was quite a hobbyist
    at boning his lobbyist.
    And there goes his '08 campaign."
    -Stephen Colbert

Under the kind patronage of Seneca

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Icon13 Re: Lets talk Bollywood

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    The few times I've ever watched a Bollywood movie, I've kept thinking to myself, "our culture came up with the Mahabharata, Ramayana, and bharatanatyam, and now THIS? WTF happened?"

Yeah. I blame the Brits.
    I blame the Americans........and the Persians......
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Bollywood?
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

It is Hollywood version in India. Anyway, I only watch actress of Bollywood, most of them are... sexy!!!

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

Yeah, what's up with all the singing and dancing?

That's something that I never understood...

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post

In India there's many languages, it's easier to make films that appeal to many with the singing and dancing, and babes, bollywood-babes are mostly hot.

Anyway, even among Indian film, Bollywood can only ever be second to the Tamil movie industry. The reason? Two words: Little Superstar.

"In whom all beings have become one with the knowing soul
    what delusion or sorrow is there for the one who sees unity?"
    -The Isa Upanishad

"There once was a man John McCain,
    Who had the whole White House to gain.
    But he was quite a hobbyist
    at boning his lobbyist.
    And there goes his '08 campaign."
    -Stephen Colbert

Under the kind patronage of Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    It is Hollywood version in India. Anyway, I only watch actress of Bollywood, most of them are... sexy!!!
    THANK YOU !!! Atleast someone agrees !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evariste View Post

Also in India ... since ancient times Theatre has been a popular form of entertainment ... be it the elitist for the kings & nobles or the roadside shows for the common man ... and all of them included the use of dances & songs and this is what influenced the motion picture industry as well. Thus almost all Bollywood films are musicals with elaborate dance sequences with heavy costumes & picturesque imagery ! Though there are some exceptions always ... but once you grow accustomed to it you like it sometimes ... or maybe you can fast forward the songs

Prince
    Last edited by IndianPrince; July 25, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

madscientist22's Avatar Tiro
    University of Southern California, California, USA

I know I saw Hera Pheri 2 but I don't think I saw any save that in the last 4 years... Any good movies that come out in that span of time that you'd recommend to watch? Would be fun to see my parents react when I tell them to bring home a movie for me to watch next time they visit our local Indian store
    Intel Core i7 920
    Asus P6T Deluxe X58
    EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
    OCZ Gold (3x1GB) DDR3 1600

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Yeah. I blame the Brits.
    Yes, blame the British. Scum they are.

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist22 View Post
    I know I saw Hera Pheri 2 but I don't think I saw any save that in the last 4 years... Any good movies that come out in that span of time that you'd recommend to watch? Would be fun to see my parents react when I tell them to bring home a movie for me to watch next time they visit our local Indian store

Umm try "The Namesake" or "Black" or "Rang De Basanti" or "Lage Raho Munnabhai"

P.S- The Namesake & Black are in English and are really good !!!

Prince

madscientist22's Avatar Tiro
    University of Southern California, California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by IndianPrince View Post
    Umm try "The Namesake" or "Black" or "Rang De Basanti" or "Lage Raho Munnabhai"

P.S- The Namesake & Black are in English and are really good !!!

Prince
    Remembered that I've already seen Rang De Basanti and Black... Saw those in a theater too. Now that I think of it, I have also seen Iqbal but I just forgot. Anyway, is 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' a sequel to 'Munnabhai M.B.B.S'? I look into that and 'The Namesake' then. Thanks for your help
    Intel Core i7 920
    Asus P6T Deluxe X58
    EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
    OCZ Gold (3x1GB) DDR3 1600

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist22 View Post
    Anyway, is 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' a sequel to 'Munnabhai M.B.B.S'? I look into that and 'The Namesake' then. Thanks for your help
    Yes it is a sequel ... and a very good one if u believe in Gandhian principles !

Also The Namesake is in a way an "Art" film ... so dunno whether u'll like it. Its good though ... and Iqbal was pretty amazing too

Glad i was of help

Prince

Indefinitely Banned

Actually, I think Bollywood films are incredibly good fun, if a bit on the long side. No one could ever complain of being short changed by them as they all last an average of three hours. :laughing:

If you like musicals, spectacle, colour and storylines that promote the importance of family and tradition, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy them. I got into them after seeing Bombay Dreams in London a few years ago and I was just sent by the music.

I've got quite a little collection growing and they make a refreshing change from the usual Hollywood blockbusters. Bollywood stars are every bit as colourful and exotic as their Hollywood counterparts. Good looking actors like ShahRukh Khan and Hrithic Roshan and stunning actresses such as Kajol and Kareena Kapoor in their saris. And of course I can't leave out India's equivalent of Sean Connery, Amitabh Bachchan.

I recall Asoka and Lagaan doing reasonably well in the UK box office but the one I really enjoyed on the big screen was Main Hoon Na, which was a kind of Matrix meets Rambo meets Grease - great fun.

I've yet to see a Bollywood film that wasn't an emotional roller coaster and being the soppy type I just lap it all up. My all time favourite so far has to be Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham, and those who have seen it may understand why I need a box of Kleenex when I watch it - lol.

If you have an open mind, and don't mind putting reality on the back burner for three hours, give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I've yet to see a Bollywood film that wasn't an emotional roller coaster and being the soppy type I just lap it all up. My all time favourite so far has to be Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham, and those who have seen it may understand why I need a box of Kleenex when I watch it - lol.
    i feel you brother.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Indefinitely Banned

My dad's favorite actor is Amitab Bachan. You'd be surprised to find how many Afghans watch bollywood movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    Actually, I think Bollywood films are incredibly good fun, if a bit on the long side. No one could ever complain of being short changed by them as they all last an average of three hours. :laughing:

If you like musicals, spectacle, colour and storylines that promote the importance of family and tradition, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy them. I got into them after seeing Bombay Dreams in London a few years ago and I was just sent by the music.

I've got quite a little collection growing and they make a refreshing change from the usual Hollywood blockbusters. Bollywood stars are every bit as colourful and exotic as their Hollywood counterparts. Good looking actors like ShahRukh Khan and Hrithic Roshan and stunning actresses such as Kajol and Kareena Kapoor in their saris. And of course I can't leave out India's equivalent of Sean Connery, Amitabh Bachchan.

I recall Asoka and Lagaan doing reasonably well in the UK box office but the one I really enjoyed on the big screen was Main Hoon Na, which was a kind of Matrix meets Rambo meets Grease - great fun.

If you have an open mind, and don't mind putting reality on the back burner for three hours, give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    And are you of Indian Origin ??? Thats quite an extensive knowledge of Bollywood. I must say im impressed ... *props*

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    My dad's favorite actor is Amitab Bachan. You'd be surprised to find how many Afghans watch bollywood movie.
    Yeah i know ... i have so many Afghan friends who know so much about bollywood and keep ME constantly updated about it ... lolz

Prince

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast