Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration Open: Introduction to Java <Temporarily closed pending Professor's Return>

kshcshbash's Avatar My Good Sir CNSW
    Civitate

Default Registration Open: Introduction to Java <Temporarily closed pending Professor's Return>

Hi there guys,
    I've been absolutely bloody swamped with school and work for the past two weeks. This is my first logon on ages.... I'll be back permanently on Friday. Tonight, I sleep. Tomorrow, I finish up stuff in Canada, in the evening I party and on Thursday I fly out to the UK, where I'm spending Summer.

Anyways, the course!

I'll be teaching you all how to do your basic Object-Oriented Programming, working with Java as a language and nailing the practicalities of programming that the books rarely, if ever, tell you about. More about that in the Classroom (I'm typing up from my notebook; there is currently a rather non-descriptive list)

Teaching will be via posts here, MSN or IRC conferences, and an email-based mailing list. Expect to have to do some independent study and reading, and please don't think that you won't have to do any programming. I believe strongly in practical experience! Anyways, you'll get more on that later.

If you want in, just drop me a line here and give me a brief overview of your proficiency!
    Last edited by gigagaia; September 09, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
    Simetrical's homeboy, yo.
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Default Re: Registration Open: Introduction to Java

Proficiency: I know HTML, but that's about as far as it goes.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

chris_uk_83's Avatar Physicist

Proficiency: I know Kung Fu. Also I have a bit of basic Java already and a bit of basic HTML and a bit of very basic PHP, lots of things at an incredibly basic level basically.

If I've helped you, rep me. I live for rep.

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

I would like participate.
    14 years ago programmed a bit on Basic; 10 years ago studied Turbo Pascal; Have very very basic knowledge in Javascript.
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Yeah, I'll opt in
    Proficiency: very basic understanding of php; and some html, as we all do. To summarise: nothing
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

I would like in as well.

I have some background in C/C++, very very basic PHP, and then html. I just don't know enough to make anything useful so hopefully this will add another experience and some sort of practicality to my knowledge.

Arrington's Avatar Miles

I know nothing at all but I'm ready and willing to learn. Sign me up.

LorDBulA's Avatar Biarchus

Sign me up.
    I program regularly in C++. I have read book about Java programing quite some time ago and made few Hello World programs.
    But I sticked with C++ and never programmed in Java after that.
    I think this is good opportunity to dust of my knowledge of Java.
    Do You plan to continue this course to Applet programming?
    This is what interests me the most in Java.
    Last edited by LorDBulA; June 20, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Civitate

Yep, I can take everyone who's signed up so far. Also, a quick update: You need to be proficient in English if this is going to work for you!

And registration continues until the end of next week, or people stop signing up.
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

I would like to sign up.

I know HTML, and a very little javascript.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

bubka's Avatar Miles

Signing up.
    I know C++ quite a bit, and since the two overlap, automatically I know java a bit (the 'if' statement syntax say )
    Co founder of the Rookie's Nook!
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?
    Then Rookie's Nook is just about the perfect place for you! Join the other newbies in your first projects here! Make your dreams come true ...

Civitate

you're both accepted.

I'm in (although, like in the Texture lessons, I don't know if I'll come here after signing in ).

I know PHP pretty well, but I'm hardly an expert. I've tried simple PHP CMSs and forums.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

How deep is this introduction going to be? What topics are going to be covered?

After working with C/C++ on Unix for almost 8 years, I switched to Java a few months ago. I'm already familiar with OOP and know the basics. I found Eclipse to be really beginner-friendly with its auto-build and context assist features (though it's a pig on resources).

I'd like to learn about the more fun stuff like threads, Swing, using XML/XSLT transformations, JSP, and servlets.

I've basic familiarity with HTML, JavaScript, Perl. Pretty good with SQL (used it with MySQL and more recently MSSQL). Basic understanding of XML, but not much experience using it.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

I would like to join.

Very basic knowledge of Python and fairly competent at HTML.

Civitate

HouseOfHam, that's going much further than the scope of this course. The Technical Overview can be found in the Classroom. Would you be interested in taking a position as a kind of teaching assistant?

Dusty4Prez, you're in.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by kshcshbash View Post
    HouseOfHam, that's going much further than the scope of this course. The Technical Overview can be found in the Classroom. Would you be interested in taking a position as a kind of teaching assistant?

Dusty4Prez, you're in.
    Sure. No better way to learn than by teaching.

Edit:

I used "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel to learn Java. I can't remember what edition, but it covered Java 5 generics. Shaolin3a seems to like this book, too. I went through about 2/3 of it before I had to put it down and start using what I learned at work. We mostly use Java with databases, so I never finished the file IO chapter. I'll stick around, even if only for that part of the course.

You can download 3rd edition here, free from the author: http://www.mindviewinc.com/downloads...edition4.0.zip
    Last edited by HouseOfHam; June 26, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

I'd like to join in the fun.

I know nothing also but I'm willing to learn and work hard.

Signing up.
    I know C# a bit and VBA a bit.
    Last edited by phoen!x; July 10, 2007 at 05:59 AM.

I am interested in the lessons since I will need Java next year.

I know my bit of C and C++

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast