Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to create a new accent

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to create a new accent

Ok, your file is strange.
    I don't geht him to be recognized in his original format, even though there seems to be nothing wrong with it, you can use mp3 from 22050hz mono to 44100hz stereo for camp map voices.
    If I use him in the provided format of yours, I as well get the 1kb files for the voices, but not for the events.
    If I convert him to 22050hz mono, the voices.idx and .dat get created as they should.
    But in both cases your recording just is not palyed, but you recognize the silence in the latter case, where the game really trys to play the sound, but cannot!
    So there must be something really fundamantelly wrong with it, either in the way you recorded it or in the way you named it.
    That said, I can't find something wrong in the way you named it, rename it to something very simple and edit the export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt accordingly to test whether or not it might be the naming of the file.
    If it ain't the naming, then you've somehow done something strange with recording, do you use audacity and if so, have you configured it right?
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 20, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

It had to be something with the name of the file. It works now. Thanks. (+rep)

Blog Entries

You're welcome.
    Enjoy modding

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I think I do now know what the problem was. My idx-file is still only 90 kb, but it works. So I suppose that the game redirects to the vanilla files, if the names in the sound files are vanilla.

Blog Entries

As long as you have "[io]file first" in your .cfg the game will always read the foldered (moded) files first and not the packs, thus it simply cannot read the vanilla (packed) files first.

Edit:
    Of course, if the game does not find said file names in your modname\data\sounds\... folders it will look them up in the vanilla files.
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 22, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Well, that's the theory, but everything I've seen suggests that it looks in the vanilla directory first, even though I have the file_first line. But it doesn't matter, as the solution is already found.

Hello there, I'm a first time potential modder and would like to tweak the voices of some units in the Call to Warhammer mod. I was just wondering whether it's possible to assign individual voices to individual generals in the M2TW engine? There are some female generals that would greatly benefit from not sounding like a huge man-demon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Hello there, I'm a first time potential modder and would like to tweak the voices of some units in the Call to Warhammer mod. I was just wondering whether it's possible to assign individual voices to individual generals in the M2TW engine? There are some female generals that would greatly benefit from not sounding like a huge man-demon.
    There are a few ways to do this. First of all, you have to realise that voices are tied to units. There's a little bit of embellishment in the case of generals based on dread/chivalry scores but you probably want to ignore that for now (you could hack dread to mean "is female" but then you'd still have to live with male grunts and death cries). In the EDU you can assign accents to units, and AFAIK that does get used. Then to make doubly sure you probably want to tie the general's unit's voice type to "general" and then modify the sounds for the general voice type with the custom accent to be female equivalents to the default male ones.

Alternatively you can experiment and tie voice type of the female unit to the Female voice class which is a RTW one but could still be supported by M2TW (given that the events pack still has room for that 5th voice class). This might however not work if the General voice type gets used by default for General's (named character) commands and so-on -- I am not sure if that is the case, it's been a long time since I did experiments like that.

Anyway, in either case you will need to regenerate events.dat/events.idx afterwards for the game to pick up your new accent + voice types, and you may want to repack the sound files as well.
    -Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

hi Aikanar~ I am following the instructions "Verbatim" but when I get to the step in using the "extractor" (I have just changed it to read the code you provided) when I double click on the bat. I get a black box giving the mod name also saying that it failed to extract, I do as it says and hit any key but then it just closes and nothing happens?any clues why this may be happening?
    thank you

:solved, rectified,
    Last edited by Druvatar De Bodemloze; May 15, 2014 at 04:00 AM.

success! I have created "hindi" for my hindu factions in my newest mod~ thanks Aikaner~

Blog Entries

Hi and sorry for not replying, my subscription to this disappeared a year ago, I've just refreshed it.

I'm glad it works for you now

Enjoy modding!

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Hi and sorry for not replying, my subscription to this disappeared a year ago, I've just refreshed it.

I'm glad it works for you now

Enjoy modding!
    will do, thank you

Excuse me!
    I want to make some current unit in one faction to mercenary unit.
    everything fine but it lost their voice on selection in battle.
    examples: spear unit would say " spear men " on the selection.
    anyone tell me why?
    i just change the type and dictionary of that unit.
    type: Dunedain Rangers -> Dunedain Rangers Mercs
    dictionanry: Dunedain_Rangers -> Dunedain_Rangers_Mercs

Blog Entries

You need to ad the selection sound for that new unit in the export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt.
    Open the file and search for the unit Dunedain Rangers. Add the following after that entry:
    Code:
     unit Dunedain Rangers Mercs
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
                                                      Rangers_2.wav
                                                      Dunedain_Rangers_2.wav
                                        end
    save the file and start your game, now you have added the battle map selection sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    You need to ad the selection sound for that new unit in the export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt.
    Open the file and search for the unit Dunedain Rangers. Add the following after that entry:
    Code:
     unit Dunedain Rangers Mercs
                                        event
                                                      Rangers_2.wav
                                                      Dunedain_Rangers_2.wav
                                        end
    save the file and start your game, now you have added the battle map selection sound.
    i've tried to add it on export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt but
    it doesnt work at all.
    should i need to change something on /data/unit_models/battle_models.modeldb

Blog Entries

No, sounds are not related to the bmmdb. Which faction has access to the merc unit? Maybe you've to add it to another accent, too. Because the above only adds that to the English accent.

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

First of all thank's Dad for this great tutorial! It is really helpful!

Though I'd like to point out an issue, but I am not actually sure if anyone is aware of this or I just missed something.
    You see, the new sound packages are created from the delta of files you find in your sounds folder of your MTW II vanilla installation and
    the ones in your modding sounds folder. I.e. you will only have the files that differ from the ones already packed in the vanilla sound packages as newly created sound package file.

I came across this problem, while I tried to add in HaHawks Native Languages mod, which adds native voices to almost every faction.
    Most of the time I still had partly German speaking units/agents and that was because MTWII extracted only the files, which were not already present in the vanilla sound packages.
    I solved it by temporarily deleting my vanilla sound files and have now a complete voice package for my mod.

Just wanted to mention this, in case somebody else has the same problem

Cheers,
    Aneirin
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

crosscheck86's Avatar Civis

Hello everybody!

I'vr "created" a swedish accent and successfully hearing swedish voices on the StratMap.But on the Battlefield my units won't respond when I click on them. They're not silent, I'm hearing them talk, swearing, screaming.

crosscheck86
    export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt
    accent Skaven (your new accent)
    class General
    vocal Unit_Select
    engine town_ladder, medium_ladder
    event
    Skaven_General_Select_Ram_01.wav
    Skaven_General_Select_Ram_02.wav
    Skaven_General_Select_Ram_03.wav
    Skaven_General_Select_Ram_04.wav
    end
    engine tortoise_ram
    event
    end
    engine siege_tower, middle_tower, heliopolis
    event
    end
    unit Skaven Stormvermin bodyguard ;- script voices clack general unit(your name type unit to export_descr_unit.txt)
    event
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_01.wav
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_02.wav
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_03.wav
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_04.wav
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_05.wav
    Skaven_Stormvermin_bodyguard_06.wav
    end
    class Heavy
    vocal Unit_Select
    event
    Skaven_Heavy_Select_Ladramtow_01.wav
    Skaven_Heavy_Select_Ladramtow_02.wav
    end
    engine tortoise_ram
    event
    end
    event
    end
    unit Night Runners, Gutter Runners, Skaven Assassin
    event
    Skaven_Night_Runners_01.wav
    Skaven_Night_Runners_02.wav
    Skaven_Night_Runners_03.wav
    Skaven_Night_Runners_04.wav
    Skaven_Night_Runners_05.wav
    end

class Light
    vocal Unit_Select
    event
    Skaven_Skaven_Jezzails_03.wav
    Skaven_Ratling_Gun_03.wav
    Skaven_Ratling_Gun_05.wav
    end
    engine tortoise_ram
    event
    end
    event
    end
    unit Skaven Jezzails
    event
    Skaven_Skaven_Jezzails_01.wav
    Skaven_Skaven_Jezzails_02.wav
    Skaven_Skaven_Jezzails_04.wav
    Skaven_Skaven_Jezzails_05.wav
    end

---- Delete events.idx (\data\sounds\) start game
    Sorry my English is bad

Bagabigna's Avatar Civis

Is adding new sound effects to descr_sounds_weapons.txt and descr_sounds_units_fire.txt would require a similar method when it comes to adding new sounds?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast