Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    Hello, Im loving the latest beta. I dont really have any new feedback yet, although I am starting a France campaign (or perhaps Sicily, again?) and anyway, I had a question. Is there any way how to revert back to the original vanilla soundtrack? Thank you!
    Me, I have no knowledge on this part of the game :-(
    JoC

do the general's bodyguard ever upgrade in appearance? they're supposed to be the most elite, but they keep their mailed armor appearance from the early medieval period. meanwhile, there's common horsemen and knights with far better looking equipment, full plate. i remember in vanilla custom battles, there should be early and late general's bodyguard variants. should i expect to see the change soon? i've already reached gothic plate event. maybe i need to build armor factory and retrain?

quick questions (before I screw up my campaign): How long does it take for war monger status to wear off (per settlement or total)? Does the mod inform you when it wears off? Thanks.

Also, the unrest from population really needs to be toned down, or the suppression from armies needs to be dramatically increased. The upgraded settlement buildings that give both +order and +growth generally cancel each other out, making the settlement increasingly unstable. "That's what it's supposed to do!" No, because the solution is to delete the buildings that give -order and +growth, like markets and ports, which is even more idiotic. So you build up the pop until you can max out the settlement, and then you delete the markets, sewers, ports, etc. to keep them from revolting. It's pointless min/maxing only necessary because the garrisons (even full stacks) are insufficient to maintain order.
    Last edited by Gaku; November 08, 2023 at 10:31 AM.

after becoming an empire, i had no choice but to sack every city to cull some unrest, and leave gallows up for a long time, stock the city with a full army or governor or preferably both. its unavoidable. can't really be a chivalrous emperor when it involves killing fellow christians, almost all my generals are dreadful by nature. **** the pope and **** my neighbors. rules and consequences don't matter much against great force of arms. everyone hates you anyway when you become too large and powerful. so ruin every city you come across to establish order, because being kind screws up your progress, and you'll end up losing the city anyways and have nothing for all your work

Quote Originally Posted by Sllhouette View Post
    do the general's bodyguard ever upgrade in appearance? they're supposed to be the most elite, but they keep their mailed armor appearance from the early medieval period. meanwhile, there's common horsemen and knights with far better looking equipment, full plate. i remember in vanilla custom battles, there should be early and late general's bodyguard variants. should i expect to see the change soon? i've already reached gothic plate event. maybe i need to build armor factory and retrain?
    This is a question for @kostic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    quick questions (before I screw up my campaign): How long does it take for war monger status to wear off (per settlement or total)? Does the mod inform you when it wears off? Thanks.
    Yes, there's an info

;-------- Aggressivity system (2) : deterioration of diplo standing after capture of a settlement (GeneralCaptureSettlement) ;==================================================================================================

; This mechanism aims at slowing down the expansion of the player at the VH difficulty.

; How does it work:
    ; - the increase of the "player_aggressivity" counter is coded in ;---------- Capture of settlements script
    ; (every time the player conquers a settlement, the counter increases by 3-18 (depending on FL intelligence and crown).
    ; - information for the player about getting to levels of "aggressive" and "warmonger" is also therefore
    ;
    ; - first info about the system is here below (minde that the monitor is terminated after the first city taken by the player)
    ;
    ; - the counter decreases every turn by 1 (here below), if the player hasn't active any war that he had started himself
    ; this is done in the script at the beginning of PLAYER turn - see: --- AGGRESSIVITY SYSTEM (1):

; The impact of the mechanism (ie value of "player_aggressivity" counter):
    ; 1. increased turmoil in settlements (this file script: ;-------- Settlement Situation)
    ; 2. deterioration of the player's reputation (in file descr_faction_standing.txt).

set_event_counter player_aggressivity 0 ; counter 0-40, used in determining turmoil for each settlement
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_feedback 0 ; which info was given to player: 0 - nothing yet, 1 - acceptable neighbour, 2 aggressive, 3 warmonger

;@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement not IsFactionAIControlled ; only for the player

log --- AGGRESSIVITY SYSTEM (2): first info window for the player

if I_EventCounter DifficultyLevel < 4 ; only for VH difficulties
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

historic_event PLAYER_AGGRESSIVITY_FIRST_INFO ; info window pops-out - should be updated after the changes are made
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_feedback 1 ; ("acceptable neighbour")
    terminate_monitor ; fires only after first settlement conquered

end_monitor
    ;@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ;======================================================================================================
    ;---------- Aggressivity system (1): decrease of counter, info windows ------------

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity > 0

inc_event_counter player_aggressivity -1 ; a natural process of forgetting sets in
    log ------ player_aggressivity decreased -1

if I_EventCounter faction_size_small == 1 ; just in case of omission somewhere: 0 for small factions
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity 0
    log ------ faction small: aggressivity zero
    end_if

if I_EventCounter DifficultyLevel < 4 ; just in case mistakes in the code: 0 for any other difficulty
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity 0
    log ------ not VH difficulty: aggressivity zero
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity > 40 ; cap
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity 40
    log ------ cap 40 applied
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity < 6 ; if below 6, then it's acceptable: some turmoil, little change of diplo standing
    and I_EventCounter player_aggressivity_feedback > 1 ; fires only after a drop from a higher level
    historic_event PLAYER_AGGRESSIVITY_ACCEPTABLE
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_feedback 1
    log ------ acceptable neighbour
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity > 30 ; 4
    and I_EventCounter player_aggressivity < 41
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level_4 1
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level 4
    log ------ aggressivity level 4
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity > 20 ; 3
    and I_EventCounter player_aggressivity < 31
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level_3 1
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level 3
    log ------ aggressivity level 3
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity > 10 ; 2
    and I_EventCounter player_aggressivity < 21
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level_2 1
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level 2
    log ------ aggressivity level 2
    end_if

if I_EventCounter player_aggressivity < 10 ; 1
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level_1 1
    set_event_counter player_aggressivity_level 1
    log ------ aggressivity level 1
    end_if

end_if
    Also, the unrest from population really needs to be toned down, or the suppression from armies needs to be dramatically increased. The upgraded settlement buildings that give both +order and +growth generally cancel each other out, making the settlement increasingly unstable. "That's what it's supposed to do!" No, because the solution is to delete the buildings that give -order and +growth, like markets and ports, which is even more idiotic. So you build up the pop until you can max out the settlement, and then you delete the markets, sewers, ports, etc. to keep them from revolting. It's pointless min/maxing only necessary because the garrisons (even full stacks) are insufficient to maintain order.
    I understand your point. Indeed, such issues need to be balanced. Supperssion from the armies cannot be increased beceause it would unbalance the situation of Towns, Large Towns, and to some extend Cities. So rather fewer bonuses.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 08, 2023 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Yes, there's an info

I understand your point. Indeed, such issues need to be balanced. Supperssion from the armies cannot be increased beceause it would unbalance the situation of Towns, Large Towns, and to some extend Cities. So rather fewer bonuses.
    Thanks! Does that mean ten turns per province, though?

Also, this results in probably unexpected and counterintuitive METAs. e.g. as a ruler, you never want to claim the crown. Claiming the crown practically guarantees revolts if not outright civil war the moment your leader dies, because the seamless transition of the crown is impossible to guarantee. That is, if you need the crown to maintain order, then it's just a ticking time bomb that can't be accounted for, so it's best to just not use it and deal with the higher base level revolt risk - which you can deal with.

or Citadels being impossible to maintain without a general. You would think a Citadel should be able to suppress a revolt by its mere presence, even with a minimal garrison. but the opposite is true. Citadels lack many of the buildings that only improve order, and instead have buildings that increase pop at a rate that cancels out their order bonuses. And since you can't drop the tax rate on a Citadel, you have to fill them with absurd amounts of troops just to attempt to keep them from rebelling.
    Last edited by Gaku; November 08, 2023 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks! Does that mean ten turns per province, though?

Also, this results in probably unexpected and counterintuitive METAs. e.g. as a ruler, you never want to claim the crown. Claiming the crown practically guarantees revolts if not outright civil war the moment your leader dies, because the seamless transition of the crown is impossible to guarantee. That is, if you need the crown to maintain order, then it's just a ticking time bomb that can't be accounted for, so it's best to just not use it and deal with the higher base level revolt risk - which you can deal with.

or Citadels being impossible to maintain without a general. You would think a Citadel should be able to suppress a revolt by its mere presence, even with a minimal garrison. but the opposite is true. Citadels lack many of the buildings that only improve order, and instead have buildings that increase pop at a rate that cancels out their order bonuses. And since you can't drop the tax rate on a Citadel, you have to fill them with absurd amounts of troops just to attempt to keep them from rebelling.
    I agree. The crown should go to the next FL automatically. Also citadels need more order buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    I agree. The crown should go to the next FL automatically. Also citadels need more order buildings.
    For the public order issue Jurand could develop the chain building called "gallows", creating several levels in which you can have dungeons-prisons so you can get the maximum benefit from this chain building.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

I would like to suggest an increase to the damage dealt by towers during sieges, currently castle defences contribute about 3-4% casualties before the attacker is on the walls and through the gates, this seems a little low to me.

I have a question about rebel armies. Currently I have 3 rebel armies in my kingdom and all of them could easily besiege and take my cities near them. However they are not doing it and also they ignore my armies and won't attack me even if I am close. Is that a normal behaviour for rebel armies?

Quote Originally Posted by Mixons View Post
    I have a question about rebel armies. Currently I have 3 rebel armies in my kingdom and all of them could easily besiege and take my cities near them. However they are not doing it and also they ignore my armies and won't attack me even if I am close. Is that a normal behaviour for rebel armies?
    I'd love to make them more active, but I have no clue how to do it. We may interpret it as a peasant revolt that doesn't aim at taking cities.

Quote Originally Posted by hazman232 View Post
    I would like to suggest an increase to the damage dealt by towers during sieges, currently castle defences contribute about 3-4% casualties before the attacker is on the walls and through the gates, this seems a little low to me.
    Again, no idea which parameter to change to increase this damage.

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    For the public order issue Jurand could develop the chain building called "gallows", creating several levels in which you can have dungeons-prisons so you can get the maximum benefit from this chain building.
    yes, indeed, higher levels of the "gallows" are in the plans.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

For my part I would suggest an easy purchase/corruption for small rebel armies, so the player could choose between paying or fighting to bring order to his territory.
    For this, it would also be necessary to increase the number of diplomats...

Anybody know what could cause the game not to load in the Descer_events.text when starting a new game? for some reason my SSHIP does not load it in propperly so I will never get the important events like Heavy mail or plate
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

Is it possible to include a download of the previous Komnenian themed Byzantine skins and UI to use?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bones4491 View Post
    Is it possible to include a download of the previous Komnenian themed Byzantine skins and UI to use?
    If you just want to change the theme and images of the ui folder, that shouldn't crash the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Bones4491 View Post
    I second @kostic: as far as I know, @nicossaiz, who made this revamp 4 years ago, hasn't changed anything but appearance of the units and changes in the descriptions. Actually, there might be problems with the descriptions, as that file was a bit modified over those 4 years.
    For a modder it should be realitively easy to restore previous skins.
    However, we don't has a simple "set of files" to provide you, @Bones4491, with a patch - somebody would have to make a minimod.

Hi,

I’m on turn 185 of my campaign and weirdly the Mongol invasion has never happened. I’m not sure what is going on, has anyone else experienced that before?

^related to that, i'm shocked that teutonics and timurids never occurred. are they not a planned part of the mod? i was looking forward to them shaking up europe a little... that's my only disappointment with the mod so far. without events like these, europe tends to settle into large blobs especially in the east. in my current campaign, muslims don't even exist...the entire east is jerusalem now, no jihads, no crusades, no goal

silly question, how to choose faction heir? because my faction heir when he's dead and notification of choosing a new heir appear and i click accept button , nothing change just familly tree shows up

Quote Originally Posted by MoorsihSultan View Post
    silly question, how to choose faction heir? because my faction heir when he's dead and notification of choosing a new heir appear and i click accept button , nothing change just familly tree shows up
    you need to click on the right picture (of the chosen by you family member) and then, iirc, click on the icon in that window that is in red circle

Quote Originally Posted by Sllhouette View Post
    ^related to that, i'm shocked that teutonics and timurids never occurred. are they not a planned part of the mod? i was looking forward to them shaking up europe a little... that's my only disappointment with the mod so far. without events like these, europe tends to settle into large blobs especially in the east. in my current campaign, muslims don't even exist...the entire east is jerusalem now, no jihads, no crusades, no goal
    teutonics do occur but not as a separate faction, but as units and buildings.
    timurids - I've never gone in this subject but for sure there's no separate timurid faction