Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlefields in Warhammer

Default Re: Battlefields in Warhammer

That map turned me off completely. Custom designed map sounds good but if they are all like that with predefined attack and defender zones as well giving defenders a nice big hill and very little terrain variety except a small woods far off from the center of the map sounds really boring. I'd guess it is from a Quest battle for some Empire LL but still... that is not dynamic at all.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

What I'm disappointed the most is the Dwarven sieges. I was expecting something like this:

Perhaps sans the bridge.

Instead it seems we get exactly the same as regular sieges with a changed sky box. Hell The Third Age mod made a better dwarf stronghold map.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by flippers View Post
    That to me looks like another flat terrain , I mean Why They are making all battlefields the same with just a little noise in terrain and a different texture and skybox? That's boring it shoudl be a Fantasy game ! MAke Cracks , mountains, strange cliffs, huge trees , break the terrain into parts , Cmqon they can go wild with fantasy and instead all they can do is make over and over the same battlefields with slightly hilly look or almoust flat ones?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    That to me looks like another flat terrain , I mean Why They are making all battlefields the same with just a little noise in terrain and a different texture and skybox? That's boring it shoudl be a Fantasy game ! MAke Cracks , mountains, strange cliffs, huge trees , break the terrain into parts , Cmqon they can go wild with fantasy and instead all they can do is make over and over the same battlefields with slightly hilly look or almoust flat ones?
    Well as it's the first warhammer title to be released don't expect to much from it, just expect it like it'll be a rome 2 release and just surprise yourself

This one looks a bit more interesting. Still a massive open space, but I do like the swamps being difficult to cross. Best map I've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfJzBJCzqo

Indefinitely Banned

It would be nice though to see a bit more detail. A bit more realism as well, have swamps tough to cross and men going real slow up hills.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

What video?

The Last I saw shows a siege and apart the nice supersized Castle on the back , wich looks just as a background scenery , the terrainis completely flat and uninsteresting . I understand some purists like only flat battlefields , but I find them extremely boring , uninteresting and after a while all battles are the same like that .
    You'know. Its really more courteous to go and find the video for yourself rather than demanding it to be posted here for our convenience. You're responsible for your own education when arguing a point.

That battlefield does look alot more interesting and finally they mention that terrain can have 'some' effect on unit stats. I'm curious how much effect and if that can be modded...

Senator

I'm ok with more or less flat and similarly looking battlefields because battles were actually mainly fought on ... flat and similarly looking battlefields. No army would join a fight if the odds were too different. I remember the R1TW battlefields when plaing EB with a lots of hills making it very easy to get advantages as player. In WTW (still not decided to buy...) it seems to go more into the "artificially designed way" again but the game is a kind of fantasy anyway, isn't it?

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

I have to say that looking at all the videos CA are making a good stab at creating the Warhammer world, its going to be Warcrap no matter what happens but overall it looks like fun.

Have CA gone back to each province having its own tactical map so Hel Fenne has only one tactical map as seen in the video and its the same for all of the provinces, each province has its own custom map?

Honestly, with the maps I think the main problem is, they're a little too large. It just ends up being VAST TRACKS OF LAND with very little difference in terrain. This for me, was my biggest problem with Rome 2. It was miserable. I don't remember ANY distinct features in battle maps in Rome 2. Shogun 2 was better, if only by a little. I was quite happy when the first details of Warhammer came out with the Black Fire Pass video. I was excited for smaller, and more concise maps. Yet later maps especially blood pines look generic as all hell.

Arena maps are very nice for how many tactical differences the terrain makes. Empire actually had some very varied maps if I recall. Random towns/garrisonable ruins in some areas/ fences-stone walls/ dense woodlands. In any case hopefully with the map editor coming out we can get some work done on the battlemaps. There was one series for Shogun 2 that added a ton of new siege maps and battle maps that were custom tailored and great.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

I personally don't mind the field maps. (though siege ones absolutely require more variation)
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Absolutely agree with you. And what about new kinds of 'houses' (like in ETW or NTW). May be special giantic trees, where units can fight on/in? Or battle among the waterfalls?

Quote Originally Posted by steve1945 View Post
    There was one series for Shogun 2 that added a ton of new siege maps and battle maps that were custom tailored and great.
    Do you remember name?

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Do you remember name?
    Better Maps is the one I believe they are talking about. I use it and the new maps are fantastic, especially where the castles are surrounded by actual villages and towns you can fight in.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Have they said anything about if the maps they show in the videos being playable in campaign or just custom battles? and if its in campaign do you have to be at an exact location or just like a general area of them? I really liked that last one. Also something cool shown in the newest livestream if you're in a very wooded area you can turn the leaves off in battle using a toggle so you can see underneath the foliage, there was other toggles for the units like banners, character aura, fire arcs, etc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Well, this certainly quells any fears of all of the maps being plains. Why Prometheus would even think they would give up entirely on multitudes of terrain and environments in the tiles in the first place, I don't know. From what we've seen, W:TW has the most visually interesting and varied environments in any TW game as of yet.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grudgebook View Post
    Well, this certainly quells any fears of all of the maps being plains. Why Prometheus would even think they would give up entirely on multitudes of terrain and environments in the tiles in the first place, I don't know. From what we've seen, W:TW has the most visually interesting and varied environments in any TW game as of yet.
    Keep in mind though that those are hand-crafted battlefields, most likely those used for quest battles and such. Generic, "random-generated" campaign maps will most likely be plainer.

I would have shared your concerns not that long ago but after watching all the recent campaign streams I find that random battlemaps overall are fairly nice with some exceptions. Nothing crazy good though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast