Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next total war game?

CenturionMBT24's Avatar Laetus
    Central region of the Commonwealth of Virginia

Default Re: Next total war game?

I am really hoping for one set in Classical China, like the 3 kingdoms period. Yes it would seem a little repetitive but I'm a huge fan of the Chinese movies about that time, i.e. "Red Cliff". But there's tons of history to be able to cover with just minor reskins, renames and new factions because the red cliff period of time was from 200 AD and Chinese military technology didn't move a lot until the Europeans showed up. So a Total War: China can cover from the Han Dynasty to the Ming, with a campaign for each dynasty. That's a lot of content as there were 10 dynasties starting with Han and going to Ming (11 if you count Qin which is just before the Han). But I'm never getting a Warhammer Total War... I've watched the videos and it does not appeal to me on any level.

Please no!!!! Anything but china.

I really wanna see Africa. Would be amazing to see.

Rome 3, where they learn from the mistakes of Rome 2.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Renissance and 30 years war all the way.

Anyway maybe its time to drop the turn based campaign and start doing it live with optional speeds similar to ck2 and m&b.

British v Zulus 1879. American Civil war. 1861 to 1865. We could have this timeframe So we can fight in America and also Africa. Indian Rebellion of 1857 Could also be in the game. The 2nd Opium war with China v USA France Britain. So 1800-99 would be timeframe. ???? Make it so Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Renissance and 30 years war all the way.

Anyway maybe its time to drop the turn based campaign and start doing it live with optional speeds similar to ck2 and m&b.
    There have been discussions about that kind of campaign and its hard to do because wars in Total War are always happening that's why its Total War. And paradox games pull so much processing power to manage all the countries. Its not practical for Total War. Battles would pop up at inopportune times, the AI is bad enough as it is. I think they just need to fix campaign AI. I enjoy the Risk-like feel to it. Plus I have hard time with Paradox games. Ive spent countless hours to figure it out but its too abstract.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by CenturionMBT24 View Post
    I am really hoping for one set in Classical China, like the 3 kingdoms period. Yes it would seem a little repetitive but I'm a huge fan of the Chinese movies about that time, i.e. "Red Cliff". But there's tons of history to be able to cover with just minor reskins, renames and new factions because the red cliff period of time was from 200 AD and Chinese military technology didn't move a lot until the Europeans showed up. So a Total War: China can cover from the Han Dynasty to the Ming, with a campaign for each dynasty. That's a lot of content as there were 10 dynasties starting with Han and going to Ming (11 if you count Qin which is just before the Han). But I'm never getting a Warhammer Total War... I've watched the videos and it does not appeal to me on any level.
    7 warring states period as the main game while 3 kingdoms period as expansion/mini campaign.

Um, what??? It was China who invented gunpowder and cannons, and covering 2000 years of history in one game is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripledot View Post
    Um, what??? It was China who invented gunpowder and cannons, and covering 2000 years of history in one game is just too much.
    Ok sir, you are right I was wrong. The Chimese did invent cannons, I knew about the gunpowder but I had never read before now anything that credited them with canon invention. Still just adding cannons is not that hard. Also the game would cover closer to 1500 years, and not in one campaign but in multiple. Like how Shogun 2 did it with the Sengoku Jidai (1400s-1600s) as one campaign, the Meiji Restoration (1850s-60s) as another and then the Genpei War (1180-85) as a final campaign. So you would have one campaign in the Han, one in the next dynasty, one in the Song Dynasty era (that would have cannons) and so on to the Ming Dynasty so the main title menu would have many campaign options and it not be in one loooooong campaign.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Why is this thread in Warhammer section?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Why is this thread in Warhammer section?
    Becuase it's complete fantasy...

anyway the next Total War game is part 2 of the Warhammer Trilogy?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I believe they said that they have a different team still working on historical games, so it may come out concurrently.

My hope is definitely for some Victorian era game. After Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, I really thought they were building up to something like that. They could do it just like they are doing Total War, with different expansions that build upon the world one at a time. The first game can focus on Europe, then the next one can add North America, focusing on the US Civil War. There could be a game focused on Africa, India, China.

So much was going on in that time period.

My second choice would be a Pike and Shot game.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Im not particularly interested in "victorian imperial expansion" but i said that for shogun too. So im sure it would be an interesting period since it would force me to study an era i know little about. But honestly i have no idea what to expect.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

There have been discussions about that kind of campaign and its hard to do because wars in Total War are always happening that's why its Total War. And paradox games pull so much processing power to manage all the countries. Its not practical for Total War. Battles would pop up at inopportune times, the AI is bad enough as it is. I think they just need to fix campaign AI. I enjoy the Risk-like feel to it. Plus I have hard time with Paradox games. Ive spent countless hours to figure it out but its too abstract.
    The campaign timer could pause whilst a battle is being fought, easy solution. I would much prefer they ditch the turn-based system in favour of a Paradox system. There is a real craving niche for a game that hits that military logistics/manoeuvres spot, in-between Paradox's macro-scale management and Total War battles' micro-scale unit tactics, where armies have track each other along geographical features looking for a suitable battlefield and with the means of sabotaging enemy supply lines or executing unlikely logistical manoeuvres that your enemy hadn't predicted. A continuous timer could enable all this. Certainly it would give far greater context to battles and could make campaign-map play far more exciting than the laborious administrative task it currently is.
    Last edited by Evan MF; October 16, 2016 at 09:12 AM.

Not sure I want a 3rd Medieval or Rome.
    Something fresh/different, WW1 maybe, if they could possibly do it well that is.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'm not particularly fussed as long as we can move away from Warhammer. It's utterly clear that it has affected the development, media and launch of any new historical title.

That being said I would love to see another Empire Total War. A poor initial release has left many thinking of the game in a poor light, but it was one of my most enjoyable games with Darthmod.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

This thread over at the official forums occasionally drops some (extremely vague) info about the incoming historical title:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...tember-2016/p1

Latest update runs as follows:

Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    Pre-production for our next historical major release continues apace, with the team working on pretty much all areas of the game at this stage, but particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts that are starting to crop up around the studio with increasing frequency.

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal.

Call me naive/optimistic, but I reckon that the historical games are going to become deeper now that the franchise has a Fantasy team. It would make sense that they would appeal to a broader base of players by making some games for the fast-action, low campaign depth crowd (with Warhammer), and the historical ones have more depth-giving campaign mechanics, where those efforts will be more appreciated.

After Rome 2 - which got a lot of heat for the excessive streamlining - the history games seem to be moving in the direction of more depth, rather than less (viz Attila => Age of Charlemagne). And when Bart says "particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts", that's a reason to be hopeful they're carrying on in that fashion.

My biggest hope would be to see a Trilogy of history titles, starting with Renaissance and moving into Empire with some fully fleshed out campaign features and a continuous timer to replace turn-based.

My preference would be for a game based on pike and shot mechanics spanning from the 1550's up until the last 1600's. Would include a game mechanic for monarchs to convert to Protestantism along with the conflict with the catholics, as well as including the Ottomans as the superpower of the day. Also like the idea of galleon warfare and armadas.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstItGiveth View Post
    My preference would be for a game based on pike and shot mechanics spanning from the 1550's up until the last 1600's. Would include a game mechanic for monarchs to convert to Protestantism along with the conflict with the catholics, as well as including the Ottomans as the superpower of the day. Also like the idea of galleon warfare and armadas.
    Quite reassuring to see the number of people expressing a desire for a game set in this period these days. It seems to be much more than a year or two ago when Medieval 3 was the one many were crying out for.

As a time period, it is quite a conspicuous gap in the franchise. I'd love to see them have a shot at it.