Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended barbarian faction (preferably Celtic or Germanic) for a quick run?

Default Recommended barbarian faction (preferably Celtic or Germanic) for a quick run?

I am finally getting tired of my current campaign as Epirus so I am already thinking about the next one. I had decided to go as Carthage, or perhaps Armenia since the visual rework, but I think I need a small break from civilized factions (my previous campaign was Rome). There are so many barbarian factions I am not sure which one to choose. I think I want to lean towards your classic Celtic or Germanic factions. There are some other ones I find appealing like the Odrysian Kingdom or Medewi but they are very particularly flavored, and I am looking for something more standard barbaric. I am not ready for horse archer factions yet either.

This would be a quick campaign, I don't want to linger in it too much, so I can get to playing Carthage or Armenia soon.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Recommended barbarian faction (preferably Celtic or Germanic) for a quick run?

The Arverni have a very strong late reform roster. The Volcae and Vivisci have acces to nearby Massalia as well as early game ports.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Recommended barbarian faction (preferably Celtic or Germanic) for a quick run?

The Arverni probably have my favorite late barbarian roster. But if you're into a quick one maybe try Dacians or Galatians.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Agreed with the above points. The Arverni have a serious, professional roster late game.

The Galatians have an interesting location and you can get right to raiding and pillaging! I remember running a campaign with them and stacking so much money from sacking. The minor kingdoms of Anatolia were not ready!

The Getae have a wonderful roster, both early & late as well as an interesting way to reach their reform. They start with a strong position in the IA campaign, so for a quickie, that might be worth looking at. This faction get my overall recommendation.

The Boii are a favorite of mine as well. They have a tough start as a Celtic faction in Germania, but I love those giant swords! Maybe not best for a quick session.

The Scordisci have a somewhat typical Celt/Gallic roster mixed with some Thracian flavor and are in a good position for raiding as well as having Celtic neighbors.

Luckily, most of the above factions have either been reworked or added in 1.2; so they are relatively fresh.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; December 27, 2018 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Luckily, most of the above factions have either been reworked or added in 1.2; so they are relatively fresh.
    Freshly baked indeed. I like Scordisci too. Interesting faction with mixed heritage and units.

Yessir!
    Speaking of quick and freshly baked, the Iceni may be another option to look at. They have a nice, relatively isolated starting location and have no reforms holding them back. You can go from 0 to druid real quick!

Of the Iberian factions, I'd probably recommend the Lusitani.

Another option is the Steppe factions. If you haven't played as them, you'll have a fresh battle style to mess around with (which is very rewarding and fun once you get the hang of it). They benefit from all sorts of interesting AOR units and unique reforms. Great fun if you can get into them.

I'm glad to interest in 'barbarian' factions. With their fascinating cultures, history and play-styles; I wish more people would move away from the urban, Mediterranean-centric cultures and try something new.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

The Iberian factions are fun - nice heavy infantry, and the best cavalry in the west! As a plus you can thrash Carthage and Rome... I also really enjoyed a campaign with the Illyrian faction - again thrashing Greece and Rome with a semi-civilized barbaric faction is a joy, and gives you a few short term goals if you don't want to have a long campaign. Oddly, for the Illyrians, the real challenges come from other barbarians - Thracians, Germans, and Celts are a pain in the @ss!

Haha, forgot about those crusty, double-tough Illyrians! Good call.I really appreciate the campaign aesthetic for them, the Getae, and Thracians--were their buildings are a mix of timber barbarian buildings and stone civilized buildings; not to mention what has been done with special capitals like Bibracte. Very nice touches.

I play as the Suebi, since i always play as a Germanic faction in all TW games. But i feel weird at times cause conquering the world as a barbarian culture feels funny. What i mean is you go from destroying Greek/Roman based cities with the best technology of the time to building less advanced cities with wood instead of stone. I dunno, just feels weird to me. Like the world is regressing not advancing. I usually end up mid way through a campaign saying screw it and play as Rome or Sparta lol. It's different in TW M2 as the Holy Roman Empire or in TW Empire as Prussia.

You should absolutely try to Lusitani! With the new spotting system from the last update, guerrilla tactics can be incredibly effective and really fun. They have arguably the best melee unit in the game (Ambakaro), they have amazing cavalry (Epones Aeiste are "light" missile cavalry with medium melee cavalry stats, extra ammo, and 120 troops plus Nuri Ippaece general unit), and their skirmishers Ibaranta have 200 troops which make for truly brutal javelin barrages and are the best ambush units in the game. Their spearmen are surprisingly good - maybe not the best, but more than good enough to hold for your amazing support troops. Add to all of that the Arti, which are a unique shock infantry unit with scare and huge two-handed axes. I think their weapon entry is identical to the falx, so basically you have Thracian falxmen with medium armor plus fear. Mostly though, there's no better time to try an ambush faction than now with the new battle features.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeEB2 View Post
    I play as the Suebi, since i always play as a Germanic faction in all TW games. But i feel weird at times cause conquering the world as a barbarian culture feels funny. What i mean is you go from destroying Greek/Roman based cities with the best technology of the time to building less advanced cities with wood instead of stone. I dunno, just feels weird to me. Like the world is regressing not advancing. I usually end up mid way through a campaign saying screw it and play as Rome or Sparta lol. It's different in TW M2 as the Holy Roman Empire or in TW Empire as Prussia.
    Totally agree. The victory conditions are atrocious unless you are Rome or another faction that may be able to paint the whole darn map. I hate that as every faction, you basically have to conquer the world. As a barbarian faction, it totally takes me out of it after a while I just stop the campaign. I dont want to conquer Parsa as the Nervii haha.

Can't go wrong with the royal scythians. Super heavy cavalry, durable hoplites for infantry and endless arrows. They have the best horse archers and their horse archers also have the most arrows thanks to the faction trait.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    You should absolutely try to Lusitani! With the new spotting system from the last update, guerrilla tactics can be incredibly effective and really fun. They have arguably the best melee unit in the game (Ambakaro), they have amazing cavalry (Epones Aeiste are "light" missile cavalry with medium melee cavalry stats, extra ammo, and 120 troops plus Nuri Ippaece general unit), and their skirmishers Ibaranta have 200 troops which make for truly brutal javelin barrages and are the best ambush units in the game. Their spearmen are surprisingly good - maybe not the best, but more than good enough to hold for your amazing support troops. Add to all of that the Arti, which are a unique shock infantry unit with scare and huge two-handed axes. I think their weapon entry is identical to the falx, so basically you have Thracian falxmen with medium armor plus fear. Mostly though, there's no better time to try an ambush faction than now with the new battle features.
    Wow you really are selling it for the Lusitani, they sound amazing! I am going to have to give them a go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    Wow you really are selling it for the Lusitani, they sound amazing! I am going to have to give them a go.
    I haven't touched Iberians since the earliest versions of DEI. But I remember their multicolored infantry. They were efficient plus good looking.

Haha, I don't know what it is, but I've always liked the fashion that the various Iberian peoples would be sporting. Hell, now I want to start a Lusitani campaign too! Their strength in ambushing seems more viable nowadays. But that can be said about many of the barb factions

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeEB2 View Post
    You can always use this mod when playing as them https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...t=colonization

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpera View Post
    You can always use this mod when playing as them https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...t=colonization
    Indeed that's a nice little mod. I noticed it before some time, but I have never used it while paying.

Dont forget about the nervii. They have a good selection naked warriors plus some decent armored units. Plus theyd give you a chance to try out the reworked chariots. Or give the iweriu a try if you prefer 2h swords, druids and chariots.

Quote Originally Posted by mercenary715 View Post
    Dont forget about the nervii. They have a good selection naked warriors plus some decent armored units. Plus theyd give you a chance to try out the reworked chariots. Or give the iweriu a try if you prefer 2h swords, druids and chariots.
    Indeed, have you played with them lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Indeed, have you played with them lately ?
    Played a campaign with the nervii in the last beta, but before the chariot fixes. Im going to have to give them a try again once i finish my current campaign. Nothing quite like a full stack of naked people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast