Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: SSHIP ver. 0.98 - April 25th, 2024 - DOWNLOAD HERE

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP ver. 0.98 - August 10th, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ps4performer View Post
    Hello I have downloaded that file https://www.moddb.com/mods/sship/dow...98-august-2023 but it doesn't seem like the latest version of the mod. For example, I play as the Byzantines and Naissos doesn't exist or I can't select/change my heir. Also some units are absent, Symmachika Tagmata for example, even I see differences in the units icons.
    Curious. This missing unit is indeed the cause of one of the CTDs that I encountered with the August version. See here.

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Is it too late to upload a lengthy June version save chain?
    Very clean, not a single CTD! I would have continued this Pisa playthrough but Portuguese backstabbing me while I'm going all in to stop Mongol advance in Europe was complete immersion breaker for me. But I doubt it is possible to prevent this things. Good old lame M2 engine.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b896k...l2023.zip/file

A few issues encountered, some might be already fixed in newer version:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Nemenja dynasty event pestered me the whole game
    - It seemed to me that Musician ancillary was too easily gained
    - I liked that AI could understand when they were losing a conflict and it wasn't hard to negotiate peace
    - While AI could devise island invasions, they did absolutely nothing once they landed troops. Fatimid armies spent a century in Sicily and Sardinia just sitting idly while Christian factions did the same in Baleares and Crete
    - Mongols are still too strong for my taste, the fight is unwinnable especially because Christian factions war each other and not unite against Mongol threat
    - Pisan General's Bodyguard model is bugged in battle
    - Expulsion of the Jews event lacks description text. WIP maybe?

https://ibb.co/sVmnNVf
    https://ibb.co/1QqftpN
    https://ibb.co/TLpT1h1
    https://ibb.co/59KsjY0
    https://ibb.co/ykkMVMY
    Last edited by valerius karamanus; November 30, 2023 at 03:56 AM.

@valerius karamanus : The bug with the bodyguard model has been fixed. While waiting for the next version, you can correct it yourself by downloading the data folder to overwrite that of mods/SSHIP_098/data
    It's here

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Valerius:
    - thanks a lot for uploading the multiple files - that helps for analysing what's happening over time!
    - June version still good - but there'll be a big difference: @Macaras has tweaked the Mongols in such a way that their empire won't grow so big, it will crumble sooner.
    - Nemanja event is fixed in August (but another even pops out too often - the Hungarian nobility ;-)
    - Expulsion of the Jews - perhaps badly coded, I'll check it, thanks!
    - Island landing - for @Macaras, he's always dealing with hopeless cases ;-)
    - Musician - it's exactly the info I'm looking for. The chances of getting one will be lowered.

thanks again!
    JoC

- While AI could devise island invasions, they did absolutely nothing once they landed troops. Fatimid armies spent a century in Sicily and Sardinia just sitting idly while Christian factions did the same in Baleares and Crete
    It may indeed be hopeless case . In general, I am sure that AI can attack the islands, even in one of your saves Portugal is besieging you on the islands. I saw also some youtuber loosing unexpectedly his city in Cyprus. But it is true - happens may times that AI lands his forces and does nothing. Could you describe the situation when it happened?

1. Were the factions bordering each other in the mainland?
    2. Were they at war?
    3. What factions exactly were involved? (Some are mortal enemies and are allowed to start wars even without bordering (on islands), but most of the factions not)

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    It may indeed be hopeless case . In general, I am sure that AI can attack the islands, even in one of your saves Portugal is besieging you on the islands. I saw also some youtuber loosing unexpectedly his city in Cyprus. But it is true - happens may times that AI lands his forces and does nothing. Could you describe the situation when it happened?

1. Were the factions bordering each other in the mainland?
    2. Were they at war?
    3. What factions exactly were involved? (Some are mortal enemies and are allowed to start wars even without bordering (on islands), but most of the factions not)
    Proximity of islands seems to be important in the invasion calculation. This is a positive. Factions that desire the islands are always those who have settlements on nearby coasts. In my save, Byzantines never landed troops in Baleares and Moors never attempted a Cretan expedition. That being said, perhaps AI puts too much emphasis on owning nearby islands, even during peace they land expeditionary forces. Fatimid armies sent from Al-Mahdiya were always lurking nearby Palermo. I didn't see this behaviour too much in land locked regions, apart from a few regions where settlements are too close to each other, like Po Valley and Dalmatia.

Indeed, in general, AI can besiege island settlements but they are also strangely timid. They often take their time after landing on the island. They wait one, two, sometimes several turns before besieging. But the real problem begins when the invader faction and the island's owner make peace. AI doesn't have the slightest idea that the same ships it uses to land on the islands can also be used to transport its soldiers back. Landed troops just wait and wait in the island for decades, their generals dying of old age and captains eventually defecting. Using ships more sensibly, there isn't a parameter like this in files is there?

Quote Originally Posted by valerius karamanus View Post
    Proximity of islands seems to be important in the invasion calculation. This is a positive. Factions that desire the islands are always those who have settlements on nearby coasts. In my save, Byzantines never landed troops in Baleares and Moors never attempted a Cretan expedition. That being said, perhaps AI puts too much emphasis on owning nearby islands, even during peace they land expeditionary forces. Fatimid armies sent from Al-Mahdiya were always lurking nearby Palermo. I didn't see this behaviour too much in land locked regions, apart from a few regions where settlements are too close to each other, like Po Valley and Dalmatia.

Indeed, in general, AI can besiege island settlements but they are also strangely timid. They often take their time after landing on the island. They wait one, two, sometimes several turns before besieging. But the real problem begins when the invader faction and the island's owner make peace. AI doesn't have the slightest idea that the same ships it uses to land on the islands can also be used to transport its soldiers back. Landed troops just wait and wait in the island for decades, their generals dying of old age and captains eventually defecting. Using ships more sensibly, there isn't a parameter like this in files is there?
    I think naval invasions are always a little tricky, its one of the most difficult things to mod in AI, I don't really know how to help this situation... especially AI taking its troops back from the islands. One thing comes to my head that could help is to encourage AI to have more ships.

I don't know if this has a link with the naval landings, but for several years, in my campaign with the Papal States, there has been a Danish army which seems blocked on Constantinople.

I never thought I'd say this after playing Hearts of Iron 2, but this might well be the best game I've ever played. I ignore the amount of hours I've spent on it, but no matter what other games I try, I always seem to get back to this. Well done guys for making the most addictive and realistic game I've played in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by XinoFumeiro View Post
    I never thought I'd say this after playing Hearts of Iron 2, but this might well be the best game I've ever played. I ignore the amount of hours I've spent on it, but no matter what other games I try, I always seem to get back to this. Well done guys for making the most addictive and realistic game I've played in my life.
    Wow, thank you friend! We love these kinds of comments !
    This is indeed our goal: to create the most realistic and captivating Total War possible for medieval history enthusiasts... and all other players who like a challenge

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Where can I download the latest version?

this is latest version ?
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/sship/dow...98-august-2023
    Last edited by Khevsur; January 02, 2024 at 07:19 AM.

Yes, I think so. You can also find a download link in this post.

Hi, I'd like to put on record my very extensive thanks to all who have contributed to this brilliant mod. I've been playing M2TW since it came out on CD ! Played SSR for absolutely ages, then moved on. For reasons unknown, looked at the M2TW forums a couple of months agos and stumbled on this. Downloaded it - and haven't stopped playing it since.
    Initially, noodled around with various factions for a few turns to get a feel of units and buildings. Started a France campaign intending to make a go of it. Rushed to the ports in my normal way with a large army. A few turns later the shattered army staggered back to the stagnate Paris, to beg on the streets within a ruined economy. And I loved it ! SSR never whooped me that bad!
    It has totally re-invigorated, re-ignited my love of this game. You have all done a FANTASTIC job. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by adeperry View Post
    Hi, I'd like to put on record my very extensive thanks to all who have contributed to this brilliant mod. I've been playing M2TW since it came out on CD ! Played SSR for absolutely ages, then moved on. For reasons unknown, looked at the M2TW forums a couple of months agos and stumbled on this. Downloaded it - and haven't stopped playing it since.
    Initially, noodled around with various factions for a few turns to get a feel of units and buildings. Started a France campaign intending to make a go of it. Rushed to the ports in my normal way with a large army. A few turns later the shattered army staggered back to the stagnate Paris, to beg on the streets within a ruined economy. And I loved it ! SSR never whooped me that bad!
    It has totally re-invigorated, re-ignited my love of this game. You have all done a FANTASTIC job. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by XinoFumeiro View Post
    Thanks, Guys, your opinions were added here to help other players to decide whether to play the mod.

Icon9 Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP ver. 0.98 - August 10th, 2023

Has the game become too difficult for me?
    After several campaigns that turned to my disadvantage, I feel deep frustration.
    Until today, I always enjoyed playing on very hard mode and that didn't stop me from finally gaining the advantage. With the August 2023 version, too many penalties seem unfair to me and I end up abandoning my campaigns after sometimes less than 50 rounds of play.

Several elements seem unfair to me for the player:
    1- Reputation often drops for no reason even if the player has not betrayed any treaties and only fought rebels

2- Commercial treaties with exchanges of card information, alliances, peace requests are already difficult to obtain with a good reputation but seem almost impossible with a bad reputation

3- For the player, the cost of an army is enormous as long as its territory is modest, while the AI ​​has well-equipped armies which one wonders how it manages to maintain them

4- In my case, with the Holy Germanic Empire or with the Greco-Roman Empire, invasions often seem inevitable and almost impossible to contain. Despite repeated heroic victories, the player eventually becomes overwhelmed by the redundancy of the invading armies. His besieged cities cause his income to plummet, leaving him no time to recruit or build

5- I also notice that as soon as the player is in difficulty with an opponent, another neighbor takes the opportunity to attack from the other side. While the player ends up with a deplorable reputation, his attackers come away with at least an average reputation! (case observed on the Byzantines invading my Georgian territory)

To summarize: the fight seems really unequal as the AI ​​has a financial advantage over the player and this makes the defeat bitter

My idea :
    a- That a large enemy army that suffers a major defeat while attempting an invasion takes at least 2 years - or 4 turns - before returning to the attack.
    That the player has an advantage at that moment to negotiate a ceasefire, whatever his reputation (unless the latter is revised upwards and fairer to the player)
    b- More possible diplomats or greater travel capacity would be a good thing to make diplomacy more effective
    c- Princesses have too few movement points to serve as diplomats

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Has the game become too difficult for me?
    After several campaigns that turned to my disadvantage, I feel deep frustration.
    Until today, I always enjoyed playing on very hard mode and that didn't stop me from finally gaining the advantage. With the August 2023 version, too many penalties seem unfair to me and I end up abandoning my campaigns after sometimes less than 50 rounds of play.

Several elements seem unfair to me for the player:
    1- Reputation often drops for no reason even if the player has not betrayed any treaties and only fought rebels

2- Commercial treaties with exchanges of card information, alliances, peace requests are already difficult to obtain with a good reputation but seem almost impossible with a bad reputation

3- For the player, the cost of an army is enormous as long as its territory is modest, while the AI ​​has well-equipped armies which one wonders how it manages to maintain them

4- In my case, with the Holy Germanic Empire or with the Greco-Roman Empire, invasions often seem inevitable and almost impossible to contain. Despite repeated heroic victories, the player eventually becomes overwhelmed by the redundancy of the invading armies. His besieged cities cause his income to plummet, leaving him no time to recruit or build

5- I also notice that as soon as the player is in difficulty with an opponent, another neighbor takes the opportunity to attack from the other side. While the player ends up with a deplorable reputation, his attackers come away with at least an average reputation! (case observed on the Byzantines invading my Georgian territory)

To summarize: the fight seems really unequal as the AI ​​has a financial advantage over the player and this makes the defeat bitter

My idea :
    a- That a large enemy army that suffers a major defeat while attempting an invasion takes at least 2 years - or 4 turns - before returning to the attack.
    That the player has an advantage at that moment to negotiate a ceasefire, whatever his reputation (unless the latter is revised upwards and fairer to the player)
    b- More possible diplomats or greater travel capacity would be a good thing to make diplomacy more effective
    c- Princesses have too few movement points to serve as diplomats
    I completely agree with you Kostic, in my Kievan Rus campaign the same thing happens to me with my Polish and Cuman enemies... they attack me with numerous high quality and high maintenance cost armies that the player could not afford and you can't explain what it's like. possible... For example, the Poles brought numerous armies of Sergeant at arms (7-10 units of these) in several armies besieging my city of Halych one after another... the Cumans are the same case with several units of landowners Beck druzhina on the other hand, this is sometimes impossible to manage... perhaps it is as you say to increase the diplomats and limit so many armies to the AI, at least as powerful and as difficult to maintain, resembling it a bit to the player.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

This is in part why firstly I prefer the Hard difficulty.
    There are some hardcoded effects that come from playing on Veryhard that are just annoying if you are already playing a mod with many ways of creating difficulty.

Secondly, I do think part of the issue you guys are talking about is due to the high availability of landowner units and their high upkeep, which the AI can relatively side-step a bit better than us humans. I don't think it's too hard right now, but I do think it leans a bit too far towards frustrating than difficult. But mostly, this is because for many nations you simply cannot afford to field these incredible armies than the AI can. So you are forced into constantly trying to beat stacks of feudals with spear levies and some cavalry. Which you can do, but doesn't play much for power fantasy or fun.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment of the mod, and I love the work being done!

Long time lurker (old email and account are now gone)

I have been playing Med 2 since it released and SS since 6.1 and this surpasses even RR/RC for immersion in the game. I have noticed many stats have changed, is RR/RC in this in any form? (I prefer RR/RC for 6.1 over SS6.4 base)

Unit upkeep seems extreme (even with the intended difficulty of the mod). Paying 700+ upkeep for even some basic low level spear units just strikes me as off. Unit pool refill rates also seem excessive......waiting 25 turns for a pool to refill does not create an enjoyable experience.

I enjoy the new buildings / options for growing settlements.......but I often lose interest in just how long it takes to get to half / full plate units. Is the plan to release a later start date in future versions?

Is there a reason halberds and halberd MAA seem to be available in the same building and over the same time span? I seem to recall the units and availability being staggered in RR/RC. Or is this a side effect of late period rosters still being fleshed out / adjusted as time allows?

The transition between units and their replacement seems abrupt. You often have 1 unit cease being available at full plate, and it being immediately replaced by the next upgrade. This creates a gap in recruitment waiting for the crazy long refill time on units. Is there a plan to stagger this more so units still overlap a bit during transitional times?

I really enjoy the mod so far, and I am really looking forward to being able to start a game around 1200+ (if and when that happens).

On a side not I also see the trait drillmaster pop up all the time on generals and it gets really annoying. Even when they are sitting in a settlement they still pick up the trait and it kills you to have extra squalor (especially early in the game for small factions). Is the rate on this trait super high? I do not remember getting that in RR/RC / BGR unless campaigning, running low on supplies, or using full movement points each turn etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron Saint of Pie View Post
    Unit upkeep seems extreme (even with the intended difficulty of the mod). Paying 700+ upkeep for even some basic low level spear units just strikes me as off. Unit pool refill rates also seem excessive......waiting 25 turns for a pool to refill does not create an enjoyable experience.

I enjoy the new buildings / options for growing settlements.......but I often lose interest in just how long it takes to get to half / full plate units. Is the plan to release a later start date in future versions?

Is there a reason halberds and halberd MAA seem to be available in the same building and over the same time span? I seem to recall the units and availability being staggered in RR/RC. Or is this a side effect of late period rosters still being fleshed out / adjusted as time allows?

The transition between units and their replacement seems abrupt. You often have 1 unit cease being available at full plate, and it being immediately replaced by the next upgrade. This creates a gap in recruitment waiting for the crazy long refill time on units. Is there a plan to stagger this more so units still overlap a bit during transitional times?

I am really looking forward to being able to start a game around 1200+ (if and when that happens).

On a side not I also see the trait drillmaster pop up all the time on generals and it gets really annoying. Even when they are sitting in a settlement they still pick up the trait and it kills you to have extra squalor (especially early in the game for small factions). Is the rate on this trait super high? I do not remember getting that in RR/RC / BGR unless campaigning, running low on supplies, or using full movement points each turn etc.
    - extreeme upkeep - that's the feature, not an incident. But the relative costs are to be balanced in the future.
    - 25 turns - yes, in one settlement, but for many units there're many settlements gathering recruits, so you usually can do recruitment more often. And there're reserves possible to be kept (max number of units is always 2+)
    - plan for High and Late Eras - a very distant plan exists
    - halberds etc - later times were not much improved yet, sorry. this might be a reason for your feeling.
    - gap in recruitment - usually there're overlaps in availability of the units. for the knights recruited from the Landowners, it's almost always the case
    - drillmaster is indeed a trait to be improved

Getting back to playing this mod. I would post my save but I changed some files and it would probably crash. I tried desperately to turn off crusades and jihad but it doesn't seem to work despite taking out all the map resources and increasing holy war start turns to 800 in one of the edb files. Can anyone help me with that?

Also when is the next update?