Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Thank you Kostic.
    yes, it's a mystery.... I'm just playing a campaign in SS6.4 to overcome the situation in the meantime...

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Hi! Sorry, from m'y knowledge having a good mac compatibility would require rewriting a lot of path names in a lot of files...
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

I'm on turn ~200 with England now and can't fight (siege) battles anymore without eventually crashing with the "unspecified error". I don't know if it applies to country battles as well, since the last two, where the error occured consistently, were sieges. Sometimes it runs fine for the whole battle and then crashes at the end. It's not like this hasn't happened before but now it's happening constantly.

I tried the compatibility settings from Gigantus' post, but to no avail. I also tried a different resolution, killed all unnecessary processes, cleared space on the hard drive the game is installed on, ran the file cleaner script, verified the files through steam and even played without the LAA patch (which only gave me greatly reduced framerates). It's really frustrating.

I'm on Windows 10, RX 6800, Ryzen 7 5800X, 32 GB Ram.

Can anyone give me any hope?

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

There are clearly one or more errors in the coding of the fights which sometimes cause them to crash. The only alternative I found is to systematically save just before a battle to be able to replay it in the event of a crash.
    We would need a competent coder to fix this aspect of the mod.

@Michael Westen: So far - but I'm about 100 turns in - I haven't had any repetitive crashes during my campaign battles. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have the same problems as you on lap 200!
    Can you post a backup so we can check if these CTDs are not coming from a correctable error?

Of course. Here it is. When you press the turn button Respublica Veneta will start the attack on Lyon.

Thank you.

I tested your campaign. Great progress! What is your difficulty level?
    In any case, I was able to do 2 battles without CTD:
    - Defense of Lyon
    - Attack on Zaragoza

My PC : Win10 - Intel i5 6600k - 16 Go - NVIDIA GF GTX1070

Backups:
    Tower 205
    Tower 205+

Some images below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Of course. Here it is. When you press the turn button Respublica Veneta will start the attack on Lyon.
    Thank you.
    Ah, so this is a battle with third party reinforcements. Such battles are very likely to crash, afair. It's rather the Med2 issue, but I recall it's been an issue for long time.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I tested your campaign. Great progress! What is your difficulty level?
    In any case, I was able to do 2 battles without CTD:
    - Defense of Lyon
    - Attack on Zaragoza
    Thank you for looking into this. And thanks for the pictures! You really went in hard on Zaragoza. xD
    I'm playing on medium. Just got my king crowned 3 turns or so ago.

I was afraid you'd say this, though. Maybe my Windows setup is too cluttered, too many things running in the background? Also, you're running some older components which might be factor?
    It was a while ago, but I remember installing newer drivers on my old graphics card and running into issues with other games, whereas the old driver worked perfectly, especially with older games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Ah, so this is a battle with third party reinforcements. Such battles are very likely to crash, afair. It's rather the Med2 issue, but I recall it's been an issue for long time.
    Thanks, that's useful. Seems like I should avoid those then.

Btw, the crowning process was a bit weird. On one turn my king got the "Crowned" trait, but no money was subtracted for the process. I thought it must have been a fortunate bug and spent it all. But then on the next turn the script kicked in, the related message popped up, and I went into debt, which actually halted building production. Nothing my economy couldn't handle, though. Just thought I should mention that.

There is hope!

Kostic, since you were able to complete the battles without crashing, I thought to myself that I should continue to try and find out, if there's still something I could do.

So I redownloaded SSHIP and replaced the files - no luck.
    Then I moved the DLCs out of the mods folder to a different location and went into the AMD control center to switch off every function, that claimed to be optimizing the game (like Anti-Lag and Surface Format Optimization). In addition to that, I used the Windows XP compatibility setting for the medieval2.exe. With this, I had less crashes but it still wasn't perfect.

During my struggle to get it to work and trying different compatibility settings, the game would sometimes hang itself up, with the only remaining option to sign out or log off from the current Windows account via Ctrl+Alt+Delete. So I signed out and cancelled it immediately. This left Windows still running, but only with the most essential processes.

This seems to be ideal for running M2TW, at least on my system. When I do this (in addition to the other measures mentioned above) I can play without crashes. I've been playing for a few days now and hope it continues like that. And yes, it even works for battles with 3rd party reinforcements.

TLDR
    I sign out of my Windows account and cancel the process immediately, which gives me a bare windows with no unnecessary processes and M2TW running flawlessly. For me, the option to cancel appears consistently when I have Steam open and at least one file explorer window. Depending on how fast your system is, it might otherwise go straight to the login window.

Btw, the crowning process was a bit weird. On one turn my king got the "Crowned" trait, but no money was subtracted for the process. I thought it must have been a fortunate bug and spent it all. But then on the next turn the script kicked in, the related message popped up, and I went into debt, which actually halted building production. Nothing my economy couldn't handle, though. Just thought I should mention that.
    Any comment? Is this normal?
    Last edited by Michael Westen; November 12, 2023 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Added more info for cancelling sign out process

Laetus

Hey so able to install the Aug 23 version on Windows 11, on MTW Steam. Did the kingdoms.exe fix. Able to launch campaign and change turns but in Sicilian campaign able to launch and complete siege battle of Naples but upon completion experience CTD " fatal graphics error, and even when auto-resolving have CTD with "unspecified error." Started a new campaign had same issue. Was able to play custom battle without CTD, did a quick England test run and was able to do an field battle autoresolve without issue. Is this a known bug or way to fix?

@Celtic Hannibal : Hard to say. I play with win10 and it can happen that a CTD occurs, although this is rare for me.
    As I wrote above, it is advisable to save before starting a battle. In the event of a CTD, you can redo it without necessarily having the CTD return.
    If a CTD persists for a battle, post your save here for us to test. Maybe we can find the cause.

Laetus

Sorry to be that guy, how do I post a save?

Quote Originally Posted by CelticHannibal View Post
    Sorry to be that guy, how do I post a save?
    any upload site will do (preferably not the TWC). I'm using mega.nz, others temporary uploads, that's a standard upload as any other file like photos or text documents.

I don't remeber this (this depends on the course of the scripts), but it may be right. I will check this at some point, thanks for the info!

whenever I start an SSHIP game, the history file dosnt load, I can load into the game but I wont get the events listed on the history file, meaning I never get things like the heavy mail event, this is pretty annoying as it means im stuck using all the nations starting units and never upgrading to their later units. how do I fix this issue I have tried doing a clean install but that hasnt seemed to fix it
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

Maybe you have some other mods that interfere?

Quote Originally Posted by FOR GONDOR View Post
    whenever I start an SSHIP game, the history file dosnt load, I can load into the game but I wont get the events listed on the history file, meaning I never get things like the heavy mail event, this is pretty annoying as it means im stuck using all the nations starting units and never upgrading to their later units. how do I fix this issue I have tried doing a clean install but that hasnt seemed to fix it
    An easy solution: tell me your parameters (difficulty level, size of units, etc.) and the faction you want to play - I'll start a game for you and you'll continue from my save.

M/M Difficulty, Huge unit setting, manage all cities, and could you give me one for France, Norway, and Byzantium?
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

I am now having the same issue as OP

The only thing I can see that is similiar is he is running a 5800x and I am running a 5600x I have a 308012gb and 32gb of ram windows 11

but the siege battles keeps ending in "medievel 2 has closed with unspecified error"

I'm going to try again with having next to ntohign running as well as lower xp compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by FOR GONDOR View Post
    M/M Difficulty, Huge unit setting, manage all cities, and could you give me one for France, Norway, and Byzantium?
    Here you go: Norway, France, Romaioi.

I just downloaded the newest version on my new laptop and when I select a campaign and faction and click start lo