Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

I just downloaded the newest version on my new laptop and when I select a campaign and faction and click start loads the game but then I get a black screen with the message "fatal graphics error ..."
    It it my resolution thats higher (2560 x 1440) than 1820 x 1080?

Cant you play at higher resolutions or is there is fix?

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Hi Grimreaper,

have you tried setting the resolution in the file 'configuration.cfg' in the main mod folder?

Yes, I changed it to my native screen resolution 2560x1140 and it still crashes.
    It only works with 1920x1080 ... (no crash)

Have you applied the 4gb patch to med2.exe and kingdom.exe?

Running as admin?
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Patch?? Its the steam version so it will be up to date.

It wont let me run as admin because it cant find the medieval or kingdoms exe ... :-s
    "you probably installed sship in the wrong folder" it says ... . I installed it in the mods folder and from there I launch te game.

BTW custom battles work and vanilla version works too, its only the start of the sship campaign that crashes

It works now!
    Dunno what I exactly did :-) but it was something with large adress aware.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Yes, I changed it to my native screen resolution 2560x1140 and it still crashes.
    It only works with 1920x1080 ... (no crash)
    it should work also on 1920x1200, but on the higher resolutions it does crash for me as well. And on Windows 11 I still need to find solution to constant crashes :-(
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Yes, the large address aware (4GB) patch is crucial.

I'm using 2560x1440 for both battle and campaign resolution. It works for me, although not without some workarounds. I'm on Windows 10 with an AMD RX6800.

For the record I have no problem playing any mo on windows 11, with:
    - LAA patch
    - admin rights
    - no compatibility settings
    Plus EOP add some stability to the game, but some mods I work on don't use it, so I really think this setup is right by itself
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Hello,

I installed SSHIP .98 and was playing with almost no issues at all until the game crashed with the classic: " Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."
    The crash happened after a battle where I was defending. After reloading the game I played the same battle, but this time I saved before the battle starts. Again the game crashed after the battle.

Now the game will not even start from that save, it will crash right away. Any ideas on what's wrong?

I am on windows 10, the original game was installed through steam and is installed in C drive.

I will include the `SSHIP_098/logs/full` file as a zip, and I could also include the .sav file if it's useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Hi all,

I'm on turn 113 of an England campaign in which it crashes over the end-turn every time it gets to the Abbasids/Denmark. I'm not quite sure what's causing it as I try rearranging my generals or doing different moves on the end turn to see if it will bring about a different result, but still get the same crash. I'm playing on Windows 10 and utilize the 4gb patch.

I'll attach the SSHIP_098/logs/full file in case it helps to figure out what's wrong. Any assistance would be appreciated!

full.zip

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@lolakos and @KmanBEAST:
    Zip files uploaded to the site are not downloadable. You must use another hosting site.
    Otherwise, I recommend posting a save of the game to be able to reproduce the bug at home. It's easier to correct because often the "full log" doesn't tell me anything (personally)

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

@kostic

Had a copy of the save uploaded, hopefully this works!

https://personal392.sharefile.com/d-...5efea12ed5c422

Hello folks, new to the forum, old guy here, sorry if I seem lazy, but there are 8 pages of content to sift through and I thought it'd be better to try my chances here, to see if I can get this issue fixed. Ever since I got a new laptop, with Windows 11, I have experienced issues with SSHIP_098. At first, my install just did not want to work, opening to Vanilla M2TW when I tried to run the SSHIP_098.bat, somehow I retraced my steps and got SSHIP to run, and now I have come across other issues. I would also like to state, up front, that I did manage to get this game working successfully on my old Windows 10 laptop. I modded it lightly, just changing some unit stats in export_descr_unit and their availability in export_descr_buildings: these changes presented no issues when running this game on Windows 10. The issues now are as follows.

1. At first, simply starting a campaign caused a CTD. So, I lowered all of the video specs to the lowest value possible, as well as setting the screen to a margined window (gameplay is more important than graphics for me, so this is a sacrifice that I am willing to make).
    2. Following the changes above, it would crash upon trying to save a game. So, I did the whole LAA process again, seemed to have an impact as I was able to save a game.
    3. Completing step 2 above, I managed to get about 5-7 minutes of play time before a CTD. Note, I did not end turn.
    4. I tried following the advice to delete the "trigger" function from export_descr_character_traits, but I could not load the game that I had previously saved following this, and so I copy-pasted my backup of this file afterwards.
    5. Following this attempt, I decided to post here. My laptop specs are as below:

Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13500H 2.60 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Make no mistake, I am not particularly computer literate, just doing my best to share a full breakdown.

I have read around that a fix for these issues is to simply downgrade my system to Windows 10, but there has allegedly been problems with other users doing this in the past, basically swapping one batch of issues for another, along with the mild inconvenience of backing up files, I think I'd rather just wait until old total war games and modern Windows operating systems can get their compatibilities fixed. However, in the mean time, is it actually possible to run this game on my system, or will I simply have to wait. Again, I am not as computer literate as you might believe, so please, in layman's terms if possible, and of course, thank you for any advice you provide.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KmanBEAST View Post
    @kostic

Had a copy of the save uploaded, hopefully this works!

https://personal392.sharefile.com/d-...5efea12ed5c422
    I come across a ShareFile Login login page...
    Not being registered, I cannot access your file.
    (this page doesn't even give me the option to register for the site)

@Azzlington1989: I was able to install the game on my daughter's laptop (gaming laptop) which also has Windows 11. I was able to launch a campaign and even test a battle and everything seems to work well...
    However, I notice that your laptop does not have a graphics card. Is this why it is blocking?

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

@kostic: That's rather unfortunate! I tried uploading the file to Google Drive instead, hopefully you can access it from there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x6Y...usp=drive_link

Greetings.

I write here today to see if anyone here knew how to solve this error that I get when I try to open Medieval 2.

"Medieval 2: Total war has encountered an unspecified error and is about to close".

The specifications of the pc I am using are as follows:

Windows 10 64 bit
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) 847
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 0x1019 (0x9997)
    2gb Ram

I don't have the game from steam and I don't think it has anything to do with the Kingdom either. I have tried opening the game in compatibility mode for windows 7 and it didn't work (I used to have this OS before and it wouldn't open there either). I have tried installing directx 9 and it didn't make any difference either and I even changed the game directory to one outside the Program Files and it didn't have any effect either. I think that maybe the error has to do with some incompatibility with the generic graphics card that comes with the pc, but the truth is that otherwise I'm a little lost, since the error does not tell you what the problem really is. If anyone has had a similar problem, I would be happy to have your help. I will provide as much information as possible.

@kmanBEAST: I was finally able to test your backup and I indeed get the same crash. The last lines of the full log seem to show a scripting problem, which is unfortunately not in my area of ​​expertise.
    11:57:40.710 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <destroy_units> at line 44196 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    11:57:40.712 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait> at line 44197 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    11:57:40.712 [game.script.timer.display] [trace] Display timer start 0.10, line number 44197, display_update_total_time 294.66
    11:57:40.742 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055_T_Invasion_Neutral_AI> fired
    11:57:40.742 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_INVASION from transgressor faction 170195BC against faction 1704CB14
    11:57:40.823 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    11:57:40.823 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    11:57:40.913 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    @Sebaish : Win 10 is not the problem. I use it without asking for compatibility. Do you have the M2TW game + the Kingdoms expansion? Without this, SSHIP will not be able to function. On the other hand, your PC seems very weak with only 2 GB of RAM.
    I have the game without Steam too, but for it to launch, I had to replace the kingdoms.exe with a "no CD"... I don't know if these comments can help you.

Hi, I've been having a problem with the mod. After a couple of turns the trees strat to flicker and the FPS goes completly down. Also i'm stuck in my french campaign, after I took Clermont by battle the mod crashes and shows a message about somre graphic fatal issue and that I should lower the graphics options but I think my system should handle the mod perfectly.

My System Specs: Core i7-13700F, RX 6800XT, 16GB RAM and Windows 11.
    Last edited by Angelo_Auditore; February 03, 2024 at 11:10 PM.