Thread: Upcoming Total War Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Upcoming Total War Games

Creative Assembly is a bit on a leaking mood lately, so this is all the information Total War Center about the current plans for the Total War franchise. This is based on the site's direct contacts with Horsham and corroborating evidence from independent sources:

1. Pharaoh: The game is reaching its zenith, but also the end of its development. The sales have been very disappointing, despite the already low expectations. CA took a risky bet, in order to mitigate the repercussions of its pandemic bloat, but it didn't pay off. Since the release, the plan is to compensate their losses by releasing free content and scrapping the planned DLCs. The aim is to encourage the potential customers to buy the game, instead of trying to convince those that have already purchased it to buy the DLCs. The former strategy has the advantage of appealing to a much larger audience and for a more pricey product. The map expansion will feature four new main factions (Mycenae, Troy, Assyria and Babylonia) and several minor ones, such as Elam and the Cimmerians.

2. Warhammer III: The game is in a stable condition and performed very well in pre-orders, although it somewhat failed to meet CA's high expectations on DLC sales. Right now it is exiting its middle phase with around one and a half year of development remaining. The next lord pack will feature Cathay and Ogres (Monkey King versus Golgfag) and the last DLC will focus on the en-times with Nagash and Neferata being its main advertising pillars.

3. World War I: This unannounced project has faced very serious difficulties. Its director has resigned a year ago and its budget has completely derailed, partly because it involves the creation of a new engine. It was originally planned for 2024, but it got delayed, perhaps indefinitely.

4. Warhammer 40K: On the other hand, the development for 40K progresses without serious obstacles. The game was originally planned for 2025, but plans are subject to change. However, it is not the flagship for the fantasy genre of Total War and serves more as a testing ground for the final and really ambitious project of CA.

5. Star Wars: This is the studio's big flagship. It has the potential to attract a huge audience and can also rely on an enormous pool of DLCs for long-term support/exploitation. However, it is still far from release, as at least 40K is in a much more advance stage of development.

6. Three Kingdoms II: Cancelled. CA attempted to recover its momentum by abandoning Three Kingdoms I and relaunching a newer and even less expensive version of the game under Jack Lusted, but the project was terminated yesteryear. This is the second Total War game cancelled in recent history, after the unannounced historical game originally scheduled to release after WH3 (planned for 2018) was cancelled when the project was still in its infancy. The reason was that CA wanted to produce more quickly a cheaper game to make, in order to appease the historical fans, following the atrocious reception of the Warhammer II trail and the disappointing sale figures of that game as well as of its predecessor.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Default Re: Upcoming Total War Games

Exciting!!!!

Im interested in the Star Wars and WH40K, but Idk how they can manage this level of huge scales and different scenarios, like space battles.

See more about Tierra Santa TW and other projects in Discord
    Join the official Discord server of the mod: https://discord.gg/u6VFKgDzpX
    Download TSTW here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/tierra-santa-tw-mod
    Rise of Quetzal TW (WIP) in https://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-quetzal-tw

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

BUT I DON'T WANT OT PLAY AS SPACE PONTUS!!!
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post

Pharaoh
    I recently bought it, instant buyer remorse... The battles are terrible and claustrophobic and the AI is a massive stepdown from Three Kingdoms. It does have a few redeeming qualities... The animations are the best in the series, and the unit stances are a cool concept, but haven't been implemented well.

Warhammer III
    Warhammer 40K
    Star Wars
    GARBAGE
    May they die a thousand deaths!!

World War I
    Morbidly interested, it's gonna have to be completely different gameplay wise might as well be a new IP

Three Kingdoms II: Cancelled.
    Of course they cancel this, the first real good Total War since Shogun 2... Granted the sequel there were making was probably gonna be a quick cashgrab given how quickly they greenlit it.

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

What a bummer. This means we won't see a bona fide historical title until 2028 at least. I am deeply sceptical about these new projects. They go against the fundamentals of TW formula, entering Company of Heroes territory.

Could you perhaps expand on WW1? I genuinely hope it's not cancelled.

Done well, it could introduce a whole lot of new interesting mechanics.