Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Roma Surrectum III - Post your Empires

Senator

Default Re: Roma Surrectum III - Post your Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathoustra View Post
    Hi guys, here is some pics of my latest campaign, Arverni (H/VH), Large. This is one of my longest campaign ever, especially because I took a long time before the invasion of Italy.
    I must have fought 80 battles against romans on the passages of the Alps leading there , I'm a bit disappointed by the behavior of the AI with them, they never attacked Bononia or Patavium, cutting down all sorts of expansion on the east, with me on the other hand taking all their forces in the face ahah. In some campaign, they went right to Segestica so... not lucky on this one. Same kind of a deal with Carthago and Gallaeci, amazing number of battles around Nemausus. I maintained all this fine people during my conquest of Belgae nation and then go after them. In the order, Rome, Carthago and Spain together, while keeping away Boii and Dacia on the line Rugium, Hattowizha, Noreia.

These pics are taking place after the fall of the last city of Spain, Brigantion : 6 stacks coming north to Gergovia which is my only city so far with the highest levels of temples of war. A bit of retraining and ... where to ?

I must say that I'm constantly amazed by this game, it will never cease to surprise me : when I saw these Samnites unit, I was so happy, I absolutely cherish the fact that a lot of mercenaries units change appearance from one faction to another. I had never saw this blue ribbon around the shield of this unit, as for the Bruttian spermen or Brythonic spearmen !!!

But right now, with 17 full stacks, I must admit that I don't know what to do next... I am ally with greeks since 80 turns more or so, but I have only gave them 2000 denarii, while giving 15000 to their Sarmatians foes during this long period... The diplomacy is so confusing, I managed in previous party to make protectorates without forcing it for example, but never managed to keep an alliance on the long terms. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when we will get a common border, they will attack. You may see that they are facing a major depreciation with their military forces but still, I'd like to be cool with them. Or just take Greece from them...
    I'm hesitating between conquering north africa and Egypt, annihilate Boii (except Segestica perhaps) and face all the Dacian kingdom (which I only fight at Rugium so far) or keep the status quo with these two last and invade Greece...

Cool stuff - did you defeat the Romans before the named legions came at you? How did you find the effectiveness of your ranged units against them?

Also, what's the bright green colour in the East?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    Cool stuff - did you defeat the Romans before the named legions came at you? How did you find the effectiveness of your ranged units against them?

Also, what's the bright green colour in the East?
    I defeat them after the Marian reforms. They kept coming along the coast near Massilia from the early beginning of the campaign, again and again. I mean, almost each turn, my two forts were sieged by full stacks, republican then imperial. Waiting the moment I was strong enough to finished them off in a few turns with 6 armies : many battles in north Italy and once Ariminium was taken they became really weak, 3 republican stacks remained in Sicily, not so difficult to deal with.
    Even though imperial legions are more challenging than polybian ones, the difference regarding my losses in battle were not that important, the Arverni units have an amazing moral in the melee, it's not easy to rout them off, besides I always put two arverni champions units in each stack, one for each wing, their impact is very welcome.

Regarding the ranged units, I did modify the scale of effectiveness back to what it was in 2.6. Slingers throwing rocks from one corner of the map to the other is really odd according to me ! In any case, if I can't make them flank the infantry line, their effectiveness is really week. I am in need for nice ranged units, especially if I have to face Sarmatians, Parthians and even Dacians.
    Green colour in the East is Parthia, I'm really not fond of that original pink colour, so changed it, as for the Dacians

Senator

I defeat them after the Marian reforms. They kept coming along the coast near Massilia from the early beginning of the campaign, again and again. I mean, almost each turn, my two forts were sieged by full stacks, republican then imperial. Waiting the moment I was strong enough to finished them off in a few turns with 6 armies : many battles in north Italy and once Ariminium was taken they became really weak, 3 republican stacks remained in Sicily, not so difficult to deal with.
    Even though imperial legions are more challenging than polybian ones, the difference regarding my losses in battle were not that important, the Arverni units have an amazing moral in the melee, it's not easy to rout them off, besides I always put two arverni champions units in each stack, one for each wing, their impact is very welcome.

Regarding the ranged units, I did modify the scale of effectiveness back to what it was in 2.6. Slingers throwing rocks from one corner of the map to the other is really odd according to me ! In any case, if I can't make them flank the infantry line, their effectiveness is really week. I am in need for nice ranged units, especially if I have to face Sarmatians, Parthians and even Dacians.
    Green colour in the East is Parthia, I'm really not fond of that original pink colour, so changed it, as for the Dacians
    Aha, I see. Yeah, I find using heavy spearmen to hold the flanks against cavalry and utilising my heavy swordsmen/axemen in the centre to be most optimal for the Boii. I only have two units of Champions in my army, so they tend to be held in reserve in the second line to be sent where they are most needed! Thanks to the very high defense of both the Roman cohorts and my own heavy units, the melees often drag out very long. The closed nature of a cohort's formation compared to the looser formation of my warbands, however, means that I can often without much movement needed at all encircle/split off groups of Romans and maximise the efficiency of my units by having some of them fight one cohort and some of them another, at the same time. In the battle screen I recently posted in my thread, towards the end I had one unit of heavy swordsmen fighting the remnants of three cohorts at once.

Of course, when they are bogged in melee and NOT surrounded by infantry, it frees up the perfect cavalry charge - so eliminating the threat of cavalry (followed also usually by their missile troops and siege equipment, though the insistence of the Romans to fire their siege equipment at the enemy lines regardless of whether or not their own troops are engaged in melee can lead to some pretty amusing consequences) is a must. It's always interesting to hear how other Celtic chieftains are dealing with those pesky big noses

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I only have two units of Champions in my army, so they tend to be held in reserve in the second line to be sent where they are most needed! Thanks to the very high defense of both the Roman cohorts and my own heavy units, the melees often drag out very long. The closed nature of a cohort's formation compared to the looser formation of my warbands, however, means that I can often without much movement needed at all encircle/split off groups of Romans and maximise the efficiency of my units by having some of them fight one cohort and some of them another, at the same time. In the battle screen I recently posted in my thread, towards the end I had one unit of heavy swordsmen fighting the remnants of three cohorts at once.

Of course, when they are bogged in melee and NOT surrounded by infantry, it frees up the perfect cavalry charge - so eliminating the threat of cavalry (followed also usually by their missile troops and siege equipment, though the insistence of the Romans to fire their siege equipment at the enemy lines regardless of whether or not their own troops are engaged in melee can lead to some pretty amusing consequences) is a must. It's always interesting to hear how other Celtic chieftains are dealing with those pesky big noses
    That is an interesting tactic indeed, what you are doing with your champions unit especially. I always put them on the wings and make them engage along with the rest of the infantry. And I realized that the AI - we can't always get piss at it - really likes to target these elite units wherever they can ! As for the missile units ... So I should try keeping them in reserve to see how it goes. Same deal with my cavalry and the general, they are my first flanking group, all of them together, they charge all together the back lines, targeting ennemy cavalry, missile units and finally the infantry melee. I think I have never hold back my general behind my infantry line, just watching and blowing trumpets, though it's a nice view !
    Last edited by Zarathoustra; May 03, 2018 at 12:03 PM.

Senator

That is an interesting tactic indeed, what you are doing with your champions unit especially. I always put them on the wings and make them engage along with the rest of the infantry. And I realized that the AI - we can't always get piss at it - really likes to target these elite units wherever they can ! As for the missile units ... So I should try keeping them in reserve to see how it goes. Same deal with my cavalry and the general, they are my first flanking group, all of them together, they charge all together the back lines, targeting ennemy cavalry, missile units and finally the infantry melee. I think I have never hold back my general behind my infantry line, just watching and blowing trumpets, though it's a nice view !
    Definitely, it wouldn't be fitting of a Celtic warlord to sit back! If I don't have heavy cavalry units spare I like to bring in 1-2 more other generals and family members to use in this fashion. They should fight like men!

You should make epic raids of every coastal city you can reach. Viking style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    You should make epic raids of every coastal city you can reach. Viking style.
    Ahah, you mean landing, besiege with siege weapons armies, depopulate and sail away right on ? I must say I never thought about that but love the idea. Just huge bounces to the treasury without the upset to have to defend lands cut down from your own empire.

Well... 2nd Civil War is going to be epic this time ! Never had so many defections until then.
    Five armies in the Balkans to deal with Greece, Minor Asia (+ one full stack in Apamea) and Italia. Three armies in the south of France to reclaim Hispania and North Africa. One at Paraetonium and one in Amasia. At war with Arverni, Dacia and Seleucid Empire...

My princeps to be, Publius Cornelius Scipio remained faithful, not sure about his brother yet !
    Last edited by Zarathoustra; August 17, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234