Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

^^ Actually, not that much. The real benefit of the Universities was to increase the efficiency of administrations at all levels, at least for Western Europe.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

I really can't wait for the update!!!! Perfect for "working" from home
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    I like that universities reduce law. It fits for two reasons that may or may not be anachronistic. One is the idea of drunken students (I mean clearly anyone who could receive a university education in the Middle Ages had a decent amount of disposable income, and who doesn't like Animal House?) Also universities can lead to dangerous new ideas that undercut the status quo.
    100% agreed

Before and after college

LOL, nailed it

xx September 2020

well there was supposed to be an image there just poking fun and I don't seem to have an option to edit it, so now I just look like an ass lol

I see the sticky has been updated and locked, are we really within days/hours/minutes of the release!?!?! Exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    I see the sticky has been updated and locked, are we really within days/hours/minutes of the release!?!?! Exciting.
    Well...

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Guys,
    unfortunately, the 097 got in the modding process very buggy. It crashes too often to merit being published. We need to find out the sources of the crashes and fix them. We don't know when I would be done. We are sorry.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Guys,
    unfortunately, the 097 got in the modding process very buggy. It crashes too often to merit being published. We need to find out the sources of the crashes and fix them. We don't know when I would be done. We are sorry.
    JoC

No worries JoC and team. I know it isn't an easy thing to do and you aren't getting paid to do it so we (I) will wait patiently.

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    No worries JoC and team. I know it isn't an easy thing to do and you aren't getting paid to do it so we (I) will wait patiently.
    Yes Jurand, same opinion, dont worry and we will wait patiently for a best new release
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Yeah, take all the time you need.
    We just feel bless to have access to such a magnificent mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    ^^ Actually, not that much. The real benefit of the Universities was to increase the efficiency of administrations at all levels, at least for Western Europe.
    Since that's sorta what the distance to capital public order & corruption sort of is used for.

In fact, I think in M2 vanilla/default ini values, 1 pip* of law (5% public order and corruption reduction) counteracts the 1 "pip" of distance penalty (so 5% public order and resulting corruption). And in Rome1.
    *SSHIP might need two pips (as in 2 points in the EDB file) to get 5% public order, you can check the ini for that. It makes law less powerful pip-to-% for public order than happiness, for example.

Especially funny since while your Public order penalty is capped, the corruption effect isn't, so building +law at home can overcome even high distance penalties, while moving capital makes those otherwise severely penalized frontier settlements not penalized.

Icon6 Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Guys,
    JoC
    Well... Amidst the aparent struggle, I had the idea of adapting the "Native voices" Mod by Ha Hawk, but for the SSHIP (He made it for vanilla), which makes every faction speak in it's native language, and releasing it sometime in the future as a submod (would that be ok?). Just wanted to mention it briefly to encourage you guys in the team over the recent issues!

Moreover, just found some very usable battle voices in swedish, polish, turkish, arabic and portuguese in the EmpireTW folders.

Well... Amidst the aparent struggle, I had the idea of adapting the "Native voices" Mod by Ha Hawk, but for the SSHIP (He made it for vanilla), which makes every faction speak in it's native language, and releasing it sometime in the future as a submod (would that be ok?). Just wanted to mention it briefly to encourage you guys in the team over the recent issues!

Moreover, just found some very usable battle voices in swedish, polish, turkish, arabic and portuguese in the EmpireTW folders.
    This would be nice to have, really neat. Just my suggestion though since I have done the Toponymy submod; Swedish voices would be good for Denmark and Norway, Turkish for Rum and Seljuks. From what I had uncovered from my research for my submod is that the Zengids were much more Arabized than the other Turkic dynasties.

If we had this I wouldn't play as anybody but the Germans lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post

I would be willing to help in my area, for the Spanish factions, such as Castilian or Aragonese.
    Anything to improve this wonderful sship mod is welcome to me.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalophore View Post
    If we had this I wouldn't play as anybody but the Germans lol
    Let me attempt to prove you wrong! haha

Icon3 Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post

As the SSHIP sound dev, I can say that of course it would be ok!

IIRC HaHawk mod uses voices from foreign localizations, which means there are some gap areas (there are only English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and Moorish (Arabic-accented Spanish) voices - i.e. no Polish, no Hungarian (and making them speak Russian is... controversial at best imo), no Danish, no Greek, no Arabic, no Cuman, and no Mongolian. So that's an obstacle, but not impossible one.

export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt contains the list of voices used on stratmap, quite a lot of them (especially for diplomats and princesses) but with some "clever" lines (like "yes sire!" or "indeed!" - applicable to many situations) it could be filled without too much trouble.

In theory we could assign a separate accent to each faction, so everyone could speak their own language (surpassing the limits HaHawk met). It would be a challenge to properly distribute accents across the units for battle and stratmap voices (to reflect the units' origins) but that would be a fun challenge tbf.

Speaking of battlemap voices: as I outlined above, stratmap voices would be a lot of work (narrator ones too), but battlemap ones seem relatively easy to do, especially since you already found the Empire's TW voices - so changing battlemap responses could be a good place to start (imho), even one faction at a time.
    export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt is one of the files of interest. If it's of any use, here is my tutorial on voices

also a useful tip I found thanks to ROTK team; you can group units to assign them to a single voiceline (instead of adding it to each unit of the same kind), like that:
    Code:
    unit ZYhan_light_sword, HBhan_light_sword, JZhan_light_sword, JDhan_light_sword, XLhan_light_sword, BShan_light_sword, Heishan_raid, Nanman_han_infantry
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
                                                      ch_Idle_017.wav
                                        end
    Anyway, feel free to create your submod (of course!), and in case I can be of any help - hit me up

Cheers
    Last edited by Just let me post; October 10, 2020 at 09:22 AM.

how's the work in terms of bugs in the new version? I hope it is not very problematic for you and that the effort becomes light and we can soon enjoy that good version 0.9.7.
    cheer up developers!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    no Greek
    As a thought- might it be possible to approach the EB2 team for Greek? All educated Byzantines (ie any character appearing on the strat map of SSHIP) would've been able to fluently communicate in ancient Attic Greek, so it's not even particularly anachronistic, even if the everyday spoken "Romaic" language was by this point quite similar to modern Greek.