Thread: Indian Bodyguard Unit

Default Indian Bodyguard Unit

Is it possible for this unit to get shields? They reliably get destroyed by any light infantry unit nearby both when I play against and with them, meaning their generals die pretty often, plus watching them block swords or try to shield bash with their arms is rather strange. Since they represent dismounted charioteers or men who are attempting to engage in duels, it makes sense that these wealthy nobles both could and would be armed with normal shields to use in tandem with their broadswords like the other sword armed unit in the Indian army. Plus all other ksatriya units have shields, so its not like they have a tradition against using them.

Edit: Lmao totally forgot I asked this like 3 years ago
    Last edited by Ganos Paran; August 20, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: Indian Bodyguard Unit

agreed. they look like they are equipped for a parade rather than being combat ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    agreed. they look like they are equipped for a parade rather than being combat ready.
    Whelp, the pomp and splender that is the Vedic Warrior ethos is going to get a very nasty shock from the Nomads and Baktria the minute these Ksatriyas get past the Hindu Kush or trouble find them first .
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

TBH the Indian bodyguard unit should be a unit of elephants. But I guess that would be too overpowered and perhaps historically innacurate? I'm not even sure. Just saying this because it would be sick is all.

The problem with using elephants or chariots which are the most historically accurate/logical bodyguards is that both don't work particularly well in the Medieval 2 engine so their performance in battle is really bad and the AI usually ends up making all its generals commit suicide with these options as guards. Chariots get sent right through spearmen and destroyed and elephant generals get exterminated by any javelin infantry in the area, which causes the whole faction to die out pretty fast and is probably why infantry bodyguards were chosen. The only problem is that these infantry bodyguards can still be destroyed 1v1 by saka/persian archers or any light infantry meaning the generals still die fairly quickly.

Actually, they used to have elephant bodyguards a long time ago. They were swapped for infantry because back then elephants were incredibly strong, and it had been considered improper for them to have such a strong unit in abundance. Yet I fear nowadays elephant units are so weak, giving them back would actually be a downgrade from current state...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleitus the Pink View Post
    TBH the Indian bodyguard unit should be a unit of elephants. But I guess that would be too overpowered and perhaps historically innacurate? I'm not even sure. Just saying this because it would be sick is all.
    If Indian generals had armored Varu as a bodyguard unit it would be incredibly sick. No idea if that is remotely historical but it would definitely qualify for the rule of cool.

tbh i feel that anything - chariots or eles - would be better both in terms of accuracy and gameplay than the current "Saddam Husein's generals" arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Actually, they used to have elephant bodyguards a long time ago. They were swapped for infantry because back then elephants were incredibly strong, and it had been considered improper for them to have such a strong unit in abundance. Yet I fear nowadays elephant units are so weak, giving them back would actually be a downgrade from current state...
    They were swapped out because the AI thought they were siege equipment and it caused all sorts of problems with besieging behaviour.