Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Default Re: SSHIP_098 April 7th 2022 - for testing

I tried the save file, also have the crash and don't know why it crashes.

I'll test sieging the same city but from a new game: maybe the save file is corrupted somehow? I'll also try changing the bodyguard unit if the crash persist

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Hi to all,

As I watch the discussion, I realize how difficult it is to find the cause of the error.
    I am still in the campaign (with is great), I was starving the city until the enemy decided to attack with an excursion.
    There was no error during the defense, even though the enemy general was obviously close to my units.
    It appears that the enemy unit is either not causing the error or only causing it when player is attacking the city.

Well, part of the difficulty is the lack of info given by the game on the errors, in general.

Feels a bit like having a friend that would straight up leave without a word if you say something wrong

But thanks for the reports and infos, it's really helping us improve the mod.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Grathus View Post
    I am still in the campaign (with is great), I was starving the city until the enemy decided to attack with an excursion.
    There was no error during the defense, even though the enemy general was obviously close to my units.
    It appears that the enemy unit is either not causing the error or only causing it when player is attacking the city.
    This is exactly my experience as well. This means I don't share @kostic's conclusion about the general's unit as a cause.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Indeed, if the same general/druzhina bodyguards unit does not cause a crash when exiting, it means that the problem comes from elsewhere...

I wonder if this long conversation about this crash should be in the bug report thread. The long message from our friend j.a.luna concerning his first remarks on the version therefore went unnoticed.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

You can assign any unit as the body guard in the first line in descr_strat (see William Wallace) as long as the model assigned as battle model in descr_characters has the usual multiple animation settings (foot, camel, horse, elephant). While regular missile units as additional officers cause a crash in melee because of an animation issue this is not the case for the 'leader' due to his non missile animations even when missile units are chosen\assigned as the body guard unit in this manner in descr_strat or the script.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 15, 2022 at 07:21 AM.

@Mapengraf : You have to go to the .cfg file modify a line... it's a frequent question but I don't remember what to replace.

The Grathus crash remains a mystery. I made the missing unit cards for the rebels as well as the info_units and retried the battle: the crash still happens when the first units enter the city. The 1st log made me believe in a missing texture but this is not the case because the game still crashes even after giving the textures to the engine. Two logs:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    2022.04.15 19:10

19:08:42.472 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.472 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.473 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/banners/textures/faction_variations/kievan_rus/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.873 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:42.874 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SSHIP_098/data/banners/textures/Faction_banner_rebels_trans.texture
    19:08:51.294 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

2022.04.15 19:23

19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 39154 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 39329 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 39504 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 39679 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 39854 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <battle_wait> at line 40026 in mods/SSHIP_098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:23:39.960 [game.script.timer.battle] [trace] Battle timer started 10.00 @ 193.6, line number 40026
    19:23:41.943 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by kostic; April 15, 2022 at 02:20 PM.

Izualik's Avatar Foederatus

SSHIP_097 - Norway - turns 170 or 171 - not skippable CTD

I have tried 25 times to reload/re-roll turns 170 or 171 but never able to pass them.
    Please do you have any advice to solve this?

EDIT: @Jurand of Cracow
    upload a save, this is very interesting. we'll try to help you, if it's possible
    Thank you for your help and interest.
    You can find uploaded saves on this link: https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20220418lWzrYbst

There are 2 of the saves:
    1st - save_turn 170 - as a precaution I created every 10 turns back-up save and nowadays even this one can not be pass ;
    2nd - save turn 171 - the actual one that the game can not pass;

Just to be sure and not to bother you with CTD which can be fix by re-roll, before my post I have really tried and count the 25 re-rolls of the turn with even slight changes like train unit or build something. Sadly without any result.

I would like to thank you for SSHIP and your effort. It is really pleasure to play SSHIP and I have already played about 220 turns with Georgia and 160 with Crusader states.
    Last edited by Izualik; April 18, 2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: New answer

Quote Originally Posted by Izualik View Post
    SSHIP_097 - Norway - turns 170 or 171 - not skippable CTD

I have tried 25 times to reload/re-roll turns 170 or 171 but never able to pass them.
    Please do you have any advice to solve this?
    upload a save, this is very interesting. we'll try to help you, if it's possible

Thanks a lot for the report and saves, could you also post the logs please? Would help me have a first look at this!

I no longer have the SSHIP 097 version on my PC. Maybe the log can help us but I only test the SSHIP 098 version, preferably the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I no longer have the SSHIP 097 version on my PC. Maybe the log can help us but I only test the SSHIP 098 version, preferably the latest version.
    ahhh, I haven't noticed it's 097. I'll have that version handy only in 3 weeks time, and only then I'll be able to have a look. Sorry. I've got only 098 with me.

Same for me! I seem to remember there was a CTD in SSHIP 0.97 linked to a missing event picture.
    If you sent the log @Izualik I can verify it!

hello sship developers, I have a question about replacing some of my own files in the original mod folder, in the "text" folder I want to change the "expanded.txt and export_units.txt" files with my modified files (unit descriptions) but when I replace the files and run the game, I make sure that nothing has changed, the old descriptions continue, why is that? I don't know if it's because of the ".bin" files.
    Instead with the file "export_descr_unit" if I can replace it satisfactorily...
    With the previous version (the one from November) I had no problems when replacing them.

If you want I can continue modifying my own files and make a minimod of descriptions and attributes.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

@j.a.luna : Once you have changed the texts, you must indeed delete the .bin if you want to see the changes.
    The easiest way is to run the .bat Map and Bin file cleaner located in the SSHIP_098 folder. This also erases the map but it is immediately recreated.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @j.a.luna : Once you have changed the texts, you must indeed delete the .bin if you want to see the changes.
    The easiest way is to run the .bat Map and Bin file cleaner located in the SSHIP_098 folder. This also erases the map but it is immediately recreated.
    Thank you my friend! I run the .bat map and file cleaner and my changes are ok! But in the minimap appear the "ERROR" message in red colour... I thinh that something is wrong...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Blog Entries

The 'error' in the mini map means that the campaign script is not executing. Considering what you changed I am assuming that somewhere it created an issue in the descr_strat file, most likely with unit names depending on the EDU, that stopped processing it - and at the end of it is the command to call that script.

If you lift the fog of war you will most likely also discover basic villages that now belong to the slave faction instead of being developed cities that belong to another faction.

Default Re: SSHIP - Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Persistent turn 1 crash as HRE when the ticker gets to the Rebel Faction. Lot of errors in the trace log for missing files, did I install this correctly?

Trace log is here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/tvsoh.../full.log/file
    Save File: https://www.mediafire.com/file/57a9i...osave.sav/file

Thanks for reporting ! Please specify which version of SSHIP you are using. Most developers are on the latest SSHIP 098 beta version of April 7, 2022. Is the bug with this version ?

Blog Entries

Disabled Razer background, 3rd Party Process Manager and X1 software and SUCCESS.
    I have heard of those before in connection with M2 crashes, it does apply to game itself already, never mind less stable mods. But it's usually the very last thing taken into consideration given the probability of other causes.

Disabling third party applications used to be a standing recommendation in the days of yore when hard and software had still severe performance restrictions. Nowadays you get dedicated applications to do it for you, but it doesn't really help if you don't know whether you actually need a particular application.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 24, 2022 at 04:27 AM.