Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Is there a particular place I can go in the files to learn more about how to recruit certain units? I'm a bit lost as to what's needed to get some of them. I've been reading in the export_descr_units and descr_mercenary files to learn about where mercenaries can be found and who owns certain units, but as far as I can tell I'm not able to recruit some in-game when the files would suggest I should be able to. For example, as the Holy Roman Empire, I've never seen a way to recruit Swabian Swordsmen, and in-game the Burgher Pikemen are classed as "Early", but I'm 150 turns in and never seen any way to get them

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason the Argonaut View Post
    Is there a particular place I can go in the files to learn more about how to recruit certain units? I'm a bit lost as to what's needed to get some of them. I've been reading in the export_descr_units and descr_mercenary files to learn about where mercenaries can be found and who owns certain units, but as far as I can tell I'm not able to recruit some in-game when the files would suggest I should be able to. For example, as the Holy Roman Empire, I've never seen a way to recruit Swabian Swordsmen, and in-game the Burgher Pikemen are classed as "Early", but I'm 150 turns in and never seen any way to get them
    open EDB ie export_desrc_buildings, have a look there, and then further questions
    mind section
    ;---------------------------- HISTORICAL DATES (for reference while coding) ------------------

opaxite's Avatar Foederatus

Hi, Drillmaster and Harsh taskmaster seem a bit unbalanced.

1. Triggering seems too common
    Basically once you don't realize your general has the Conscientious Trainer, just using all general's movement points a couple of times will increase the threshold. So I just move my general between settlements a couple of times and he gets it.
    Second, it seems there's another trigger when just campaingning with a large army, even without spending all movement points. I did not deep diver into the mechanics, but just waiting with my general until Mongols take a city, so I can pin them down there, has triggered the trait.

2. Added Squalor doesn't seem reasonable
    I get the reduced Troop morale, but the added squalor makes most of these generals undesirable as governors. Also, from the roleplaying perspective, I would expect lowered squalor from such a governor (but also increased unrest on the other hand)

Usually most of my generals will end up with this trait unless I'm extra cautious.
    In general, it is annoying especially when trying to develop chivalrious generals/governors, as it both lowers troop morale and population growth.

Hi Jurand! How are you? And your sship's work?
    Regarding text in the rebellion of Iberian regions i think which could give a general description divided into Castilian, Aragonese, Portuguese and perhaps also Mozarabic/Andalusian, and then more specifically in the settlement in question, example:

LEON SETTLEMENT
    - apart from the generic rebellion text, My Lord....
    -later would come the generic of the historical factions, in this case Castilian-Leonese... This region of Castile has always belonged to the Castilian warriors repelling any foreign invasion for centuries....
    -Lastly, the unique touch of a settlement would come, in this case the León settlement... León is a city rich in culture and famous for its university and historically the 2nd Castilian capital, so my lord it will be difficult for us to maintain the rebellious air of these people...

All this is an example and a brief construction, but are you interested in the idea of doing it like this in Iberia? I would send it to you in .txt format

*On the other hand, I would like to see what you started years ago in terms of PTFs, provincial tittles for Iberia, I provided you with their descriptions and heraldic shields by region some time ago... if you need it, I can finish the job or help you to include it in the list. next version of sship...

A greeting!

EDIT:I could even give it a more unique and historical touch by mentioning the "subcommunities / small kingdoms / unique regions" as we want to call it within Iberia, such as Catalans, Basques, the Kingdom of Navarra, Galicians and Andalusians
    Last edited by j.a.luna; November 08, 2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Add sub-factions descriptions
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Hi j.a.,
    I've been visiting some places to check if I have a right opinion on the certain facets of the map. A modification of at least building chain will follow.
    On the rebellions - for the moment I just need the texts for rebellions, as I've formulated in the request. The texts should be adjusted to the province and closely related to the event, so I don't think getting in the cultural details of Leon would be justified to be in, but general description perhaps along your proposal - yes.
    On PTF - I'll come back to the issue at some point, but not for now, alas. Similar with Spain - at the moment I'm more interested in Maghrib.
    best
    JoC

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi j.a.,
    I've been visiting some places to check if I have a right opinion on the certain facets of the map. A modification of at least building chain will follow.
    On the rebellions - for the moment I just need the texts for rebellions, as I've formulated in the request. The texts should be adjusted to the province and closely related to the event, so I don't think getting in the cultural details of Leon would be justified to be in, but general description perhaps along your proposal - yes.
    On PTF - I'll come back to the issue at some point, but not for now, alas. Similar with Spain - at the moment I'm more interested in Maghrib.
    best
    JoC

Ok! We will see what new improvements there are for the buildings...

what is your opinion about this example for Leon??? Do you like or would add another things???

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    LEÓN
    {SETTLEMENT_REBELLION_LEON_NORMAL_BODY}\nMylord! The Leoneses are unhappy with our rule! They have taken up arms and set up an army to challenge us! Let us fight!\n\nSuccessor of the first Christian kingdom of Asturias that resisted the Muslim invasion and began the "Reconquest", the Kingdom of León, founded in 910 by García I, played a leading role in the Reconquest and in the formation of the successive Christian kingdoms of the West peninsular. From it sprang the counties of Castile and Portucale, which later gave rise to the independent kingdoms of Castile in 1065, and Portugal in 1139.\n\nThese lands, now Castilian, have always remained under the famous and proud Leonese merchants and craftsmen, more in specifically, the city of León was the capital of the Leonese kingdom and has remained a stable and traditional seat of power after the unification of Castilla and León.
    {SETTLEMENT_REBELLION_LEON_NORMAL_TITLE}Rebellion in León!

THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Hey guys quick question, not sure if this was answered elsewhere, but my Spanish Prince married a Roman princess back in the 1150s and now every subsequent ruler is Orthodox even though every princess my FHs have married have been catholic. It's now almost the 14th century and my Kings are yet to be coronated. Do i need to just keep marrying Catholic princesses until one of the heirs is Catholic?

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos XII Rhomaios View Post
    Hey guys quick question, not sure if this was answered elsewhere, but my Spanish Prince married a Roman princess back in the 1150s and now every subsequent ruler is Orthodox even though every princess my FHs have married have been catholic. It's now almost the 14th century and my Kings are yet to be coronated. Do i need to just keep marrying Catholic princesses until one of the heirs is Catholic?
    Frankly speaking, I don't know. I haven't changed this part of the traits, so they're probably as they're in the base Stainless Steel
    btw, could you upload a save from our game?
    JoC

I'm a little tech illiterate, how would I upload a save?

any upload site, I'm using mega.nz, but I've got a (free) account there. There're many other upload sites, maybe somebody else will hit you out

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    what is your opinion about this example for Leon??? Do you like or would add another things???
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    LEÓN
    {SETTLEMENT_REBELLION_LEON_NORMAL_BODY}\nMylord! The Leoneses are unhappy with our rule! They have taken up arms and set up an army to challenge us! Let us fight!\n\nSuccessor of the first Christian kingdom of Asturias that resisted the Muslim invasion and began the "Reconquest", the Kingdom of León, founded in 910 by García I, played a leading role in the Reconquest and in the formation of the successive Christian kingdoms of the West peninsular. From it sprang the counties of Castile and Portucale, which later gave rise to the independent kingdoms of Castile in 1065, and Portugal in 1139.\n\nThese lands, now Castilian, have always remained under the famous and proud Leonese merchants and craftsmen, more in specifically, the city of León was the capital of the Leonese kingdom and has remained a stable and traditional seat of power after the unification of Castilla and León.
    {SETTLEMENT_REBELLION_LEON_NORMAL_TITLE}Rebellion in León!
    this is a text about rebellion. Those who rebel are from society, mainly aristocrats. This should be about mutinous society, not about kingdom and kings. And the rebellion can be against exactly the king, the kingdom of Castille. So I'd say this text is not really proper for the event of rebellion...
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 18, 2022 at 01:54 AM.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@Konstantinos XII: you find the savegames in .../mods/SSHIP_098/saves

Then, the ideal is to compress your file (Winzip or Winrar) to upload it to the site.
    Alternatively, you can also use a server like Google drive to upload your backup and share the link to it with us.

Hi Guys, thank you for great mod and constant improvements. I am returning player. Last time played version 0.92 or something near that. Version 0.98 is really nice improvement and it is also much harder on vh/vh.
    Temporarily playing with Georgia, year 1254. It is really hard position, but very fun. Had lots of problems with Cumans at beginning and hardly survived for 40+ years. They Bekh units were quite hard to fight on open terrains so i was defending behind walls most of time. Also, i am enyojing this new combat Ai. It is big improvement from version 0.92. Now i am surrounded with Mongols and Vizant, two biggest forces right now. Have alliance with Mongols but not sure for how long , and war with Vizant. Don't have high hopes, but looking for how long i can survive .
    Also played with Serbia but didn't last long, and had some error very often. With Novgorod i manage to get to turn 80, but Litvanians were too strong for me.

Also have few questions if you can answer and some observations from my campaings:
    1. I am getting often error after battles or on AI turns - "Medieval2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit". Anyone know why that's happening? I am running on Steam and have Win 10. Also have quite solid machine.
    2. Remembering in earlier version some civil wars on AI side. Is it disabled now in this new version? Also i didn't have any civil war on my side, but i am maintaining heirs pretty good so i guess that could be the reason.
    3. Wondering is there any scripted event that will slow down or stop Mongols? They destroying everything very easily. They destroyed Cumans, Seljucs, Zengids and now Fatmids are also near end. I know it was strongest force in history, but wondering is there any civil war or something to slow them .
    4. Didn't see many crusades. Few at beggining, and only one few turns ago to France city Barxiluna. Wondering will there be any crusades against Mongols? And what generally triggers them?
    5. Didn't see many bugs except that error that i am getting, but that could be from my side... Also, my first heir in Georgia campaign, when he become faction leader, was getting Expert mining or similar mining trait for few turns in row. Also noticed in one battle in Novgorod campaign that Lituvanian unit (rutherian or something) didn't have texture.

My experience tells me that you have to close all your applications before launching SSHIP (even the browser).
    For me this corrected CTDs. That said, it is possible that other CTDs will arise even with my advice. The best in this case is to send us the backup before the CTD so that we can try to find the problem.

For the missing Ruthenian archers texture I will check.

Regarding the Ruthenian archers, I did a test and found this unit without textures in a rebel army.
    @dijenek999 spotted that the unit for Novgorod was also in the same situation.
    No wonder: in the EDU, this unit is currently only available for lithuania, poland and kievan_rus...

To solve this problem, I will therefore make this unit an AOR unit. I believe that is also the wish of @Jurand (probably in the next version)
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 19, 2022 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Split into two threads for use of the future players

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Regarding the Ruthenian archers, I did a test and found this unit without textures in a rebel army.
    @dijenek999 spotted that the unit for Novgorod was also in the same situation.
    No wonder: in the EDU, this unit is currently only available for lithuania, poland and kievan_rus...

To solve this problem, I will therefore make this unit an AOR unit. I believe that is also the wish of @Jurand (probably in the next version)
    Perfect kostic, i like so much AOR units! Also is possible in Iberia? For Andalusian spearmen/ and a new unit crossbowmen andalusian militia in Andalusian lands? Basque unit in Pamplona, Burgos and Zaragoza and almoghavars and levy javalinmen (would be called "Peones") in all Iberia as AOR units, maybe also almughavars as mercenaries...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    any upload site, I'm using mega.nz, but I've got a (free) account there. There're many other upload sites, maybe somebody else will hit you out

this is a text about rebellion. Those who rebel are from society, mainly aristocrats. This should be about mutinous society, not about kingdom and kings. And the rebellion can be against exactly the king, the kingdom of Castille. So I'd say this text is not really proper for the event of rebellion...
    ok Jurand I'll modify it then, I just wanted to add a bit of general knowledge about that region for the player...
    I would like you to tell me a guideline to follow because for example for Brittany if I saw that there was culture within the description... if you have any other more specific example I would appreciate it to be able to finish the work...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Thank you @kostic for answer regarding my CTD. I will try your method and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dijenek999 View Post
    2. Remembering in earlier version some civil wars on AI side. Is it disabled now in this new version? Also i didn't have any civil war on my side, but i am maintaining heirs pretty good so i guess that could be the reason.
    3. Wondering is there any scripted event that will slow down or stop Mongols? They destroying everything very easily. They destroyed Cumans, Seljucs, Zengids and now Fatmids are also near end. I know it was strongest force in history, but wondering is there any civil war or something to slow them .
    4. Didn't see many crusades. Few at beggining, and only one few turns ago to France city Barxiluna. Wondering will there be any crusades against Mongols? And what generally triggers them?
    5. my first heir in Georgia campaign, when he become faction leader, was getting Expert mining or similar mining trait for few turns in row
    I'll try to answer these questions. I'll edit this post, now just a start.
    ad. 2 - there should be. Let me...
    ad. 3 - their benefits should fade away as the time progresses. But it may be too slow, need to check ...
    ad. 4 - this might be due to the lower number of priests. I don't know the mechanisms ruling the crusades, someone needs to explore it.
    ad. 5 - let me see, traits are my area of modding.

Thank you Jurand! Looking forward for your answers. Also, thank you @kostic! Your method helped me with my CTD problem. I will put few more remarks from my current campaign in 0.98 sept version thread. It may be easier for you to track.

Thank you Kostic, let me see if I can get the save for you.