Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 555809596979899100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2149

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

uggh;

one/single
    motivation
    be
    happy/sunny

not getting anything that makes sense!

This is a movie catchphrase that became the title of a well-known rock and roll song. I'll provide more hints soon.

The person who composed and performed that song died in a plane crash.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Based on the other pics and the hints, the first pic would have to mean "That". But I don't see the connection.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

That is correct. The second word is used as a verb, although it is also a noun described in the second image.

Mak is right! Feel free to say so if you think this was way too hard.

Patrician Artifex

@sept I actually still don't understand how the first pic represents "that". I mean it had to be based on everything else, but the connection between the domino pic and 'that' ..... no idea. Care to explain?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    @sept I actually still don't understand how the first pic represents "that". I mean it had to be based on everything else, but the connection between the domino pic and 'that' ..... no idea. Care to explain?
    You were able to determine that it means "that" without getting any of the other pictures or the full context of the riddle or the solution to it, and now you ask me how the domino picture could possibly mean "that". What am I missing here? You got it, and you demand an answer on how you could have possibly got it?

Patrician Artifex

I think you misunderstood me. It's exactly from all the context (the hints and the last 3 pics) that I pieced together the first pic would have to represent "that": "will be the day" matches both the last 3 pics and the last 3 terms in the title of a Buddy Holly song. Which left me wondering how the first pic translates to the first word of the title: 'that'. I'm just curious about that clue, that's all.
    Last edited by Muizer; April 12, 2023 at 02:34 PM.

I think you misunderstood me. It's exactly from all the context (the hints and the last 3 pics) that I pieced together the first pic would have to represent "that". Still do not see how that can be deduced from the pic itself alone. And I don't demand anything. I'm just curious about that clue.
    So you knew the answer, but instead of giving it, you decided to pretend as if you didn't? I hope you understand that that sort of behaviour is going to kill these competitions.

Representing "that" is not very easy in terms of selecting pictures. Someone picking one out of many could express that. But I agree that this could have been too hard, which is why I asked Mak specifically and others in general if this was too hard. But your present approach is not helpful.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    So you knew the answer, but instead of giving it, you decided to pretend as if you didn't? I hope you understand that that sort of behaviour is going to kill these competitions.

Representing "that" is not very easy in terms of selecting pictures. Someone picking one out of many could express that. But I agree that this could have been too hard, which is why I asked Mak specifically and others in general if this was too hard. But your present approach is not helpful.
    Fair enough. To be frank, I didn't have the time or inspiration to come up with a new one, which probably had .... eh... some impact on the decision not to post a guess. Should probably not have posted anything at all then. I guess curiosity got the better of me there, for which I apologize.

Not having the inspiration to come up with a new photo set is definitely getting to be a problem... bare with me and I'll try and come up with something!

It was hard based on the pics alone - but the plane crash clue really gave it away!

Fair enough. To be frank, I didn't have the time or inspiration to come up with a new one, which probably had .... eh... some impact on the decision not to post a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Not having the inspiration to come up with a new photo set is definitely getting to be a problem...
    Okay, no need for apologies, Muizer. I agree with both of you that it is hard to come up with something for this particular competition. In my experience, it is getting increasingly hard as so many ideas have been used already.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

For the records, I think that if when comments are to be posted on the games mechanics/issues, rather than on one specific riddle, it would be better to use the Commentary and Chat thread. ATL this is why I created it, to begin with
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    For the records, I think that if when comments are to be posted on the games mechanics/issues, rather than on one specific riddle, it would be better to use the Commentary and Chat thread. ATL this is why I created it, to begin with
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
    Last edited by Muizer; April 14, 2023 at 11:27 AM.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
    By sheer coincidence your answer to Flinn is the answer to the catchphrase

over to you

Patrician Artifex

That was a very inventive riddle Mak. Especially the last pic.

This one is pretty straightforward except I don't know how many people actually know this phrase from a TV series.

Death will be robbin the cradle is pretty much all I can get of this.