Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tomberry View Post
    Great experience so far. Turn 210.

I restarted the Denmark campaign and took care of my reputation and its a completely different game.
    Rep is everything! Especially when you are small.
    After beating Norway, the HRR betrayed me again, but this time I was prepared.
    After 5 crushing defeats at the walls of Ribe they got excommunicated and my best buddy the pope called a crusade against Frankfurt
    With whole Europe against them, they fell apart very quickly and I had time to build and develop.

Now Im trying to get my King crowned and have conquered all necessary provinces.

But do i really need a Cathedral in Roskilde? Its a Fortress at the moment.
    unfortunately yes. you need to rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    Hey there.
    Really love the new version of the mod, have been playing it a fair damn signficant amount.

Now I know this isn't a mega-recent change but I hoped to spark up a discussion about the "feudal" units (for a lack of a better word). The miles, mailed knights, etc.
    I have done multiple playthroughs now and it seems like the most optimal play is to essentially never use them. The upkeep is so damn expensive that there is almost no point except for when you are in a pinch. This might be deliberate, having read through some comments.

But emotively, I feel that's a little "sad" as these units should arguably be the gold standard of the day.
    And from a more logical point, I notice that the AI mass recruits these units as they are so readily available. This has the side-effect of really screwing with the AI finances, and you will notice that as the game goes on, the AI will actually field LESS full stacks, and I'm going out on a limb and assuming that it's BECAUSE they keep recruiting these mega expensive units.

Lastly, I find that the availability of the Hospitalier, Tutons, etc. Both the price seems too low, and the availability too wide. It's cheaper, and in some ways easier, to make a full stack of special order knights than it is to make a feudal stack. Isn't that a little strange?

In saying all this, again, I love all the work you have done. My nitpicks are arguably nitpicks due to my love for this mod. I would love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you!
    I've saved it here to address your ideas at some point in the future.

I am enjoying this mod very well. Except for the CTD's mostly on the Independent Sovereignties, but untill now I've always been able to move on to the next turn by trying several times or making a restart.

How to stay in the Popes favor is hard to understand sometimes. I once had 7 favor points; I got attacked by HRE with 7 favor points too; I destroy all of there armies on my terratory, but I get repremanded by the Pope and end with 3 favor points, while HRE still has 5. And the Pope was from my faction.
    The only reason I can come up with is that I was allied with Pisa that had 2 favor points.

Assassins are great tools to get rid of Inquisitors and foreign generals. I attack my target with 6 and end up killing the target in about two turns.
    The Assassins do not die very often if you miss your target. So you have more chances.

For killing prisoners you get punished in the mod, by losing your Crusader Units. But terror was also used to prevent enemies to come back or rebellions to reappear. For remaining peace.
    William the conqueror once had prisoners from a rebellion mutilated as a warning.
    I tried it on the RHE in this mod, but it doesn't have any effect, because they keep coming back for more after every defeat and punishment

Looking forward to more developments.
    Great Mod.

Laetus

There is any way for me to ear the ingame songs of this mod?? They are great..

Quote Originally Posted by Max.1985 View Post
    There is any way for me to ear the ingame songs of this mod?? They are great..
    They were collected by @JLMP, but he's got for a year or more now, so I don't know.

Libertus

Bro... I can't take it anymore https://imgur.com/erp3QdN

Quote Originally Posted by JB59114 View Post
    Bro... I can't take it anymore https://imgur.com/erp3QdN
    you mean enemies ganging up?

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    you mean enemies ganging up?
    Yeah, even though I'm powerful all of my neighbors are targeting my empire.
    I've managed to peace out the serbians and georgians but I can't do the same with the italians, hungarains, cumans and seljuks.
    I have all the province needed to get the crown but my military campaigns are bringing me to the verge of bankruptcy.
    I like this campaign scenario but the constant defensive siege battle with unwalled settlements are hitting my nerves

Quote Originally Posted by JB59114 View Post
    Yeah, even though I'm powerful all of my neighbors are targeting my empire.
    I've managed to peace out the serbians and georgians but I can't do the same with the italians, hungarains, cumans and seljuks.
    I have all the province needed to get the crown but my military campaigns are bringing me to the verge of bankruptcy.
    I like this campaign scenario but the constant defensive siege battle with unwalled settlements are hitting my nerves
    The Romaioi are the most powerful faction in game. In 1132 they're historically at their prime, we can't weaken them. Their basileoi were very capable. The game must somehow balance this huge advantage. In the Titanium it was done through jihads against Constantinople. Here being in war with many (not scripted, I believe) seems to be reasonable to my mind.

Libertus

Yes the Byzantines have the most powerful start in the game, there's no need to buff them.
    I just couldn't take 5 ennemies at the same time without going crazy, which is historical after all the empire fell because it had too many front to hold : latins, turks, serbians and bulgarians.
    I'm starting a sicilian campaign for a more peaceful playthrough.
    Last edited by JB59114; July 22, 2023 at 02:03 PM.

JB, the enemies will calm down with time, just because they will start also wars between themselves.. Turn 35 is almost the first moment when they are looking for somebody to attack and the player is usually the first. Since you have a rich empire you can wait, even lose some border settlements, accumulate some money and pay them for peace and alliance. After some of them start another wars the game will become more peaceful.

I love the mod, especially the slowness of it. Having to take your time to build everything instead of bumrushing every thing as fast as possible.

Assassins are outrageously powerful though; i can just cripple entire armies by taking out their commander, and the same has happened to me. I just lost 3 of my family members who were administering cities in 2 turns to some 4 star assassins. How am i supposed to lead armies if all my generals get killed off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mev View Post
    I love the mod, especially the slowness of it. Having to take your time to build everything instead of bumrushing every thing as fast as possible.
    Assassins are outrageously powerful though; i can just cripple entire armies by taking out their commander, and the same has happened to me. I just lost 3 of my family members who were administering cities in 2 turns to some 4 star assassins. How am i supposed to lead armies if all my generals get killed off?
    Yeah, I've never quite got into modding the assassins. Perhaps I'll do in the future. Thanks for this hint, I'll pay attention.
    JoC

The real issue with the assassins is, I believe, that they survive their attempt far too often. So with 4 assassins you can attack 3 turns sometimes.
    And 4 assassins with chance of only 10% (1 in 10 chance) have 12 tries: that is almost for sure a succesful hit.

I've killed many generals like that. It's like using a drone swarm.

Little graphic bug found, with serbian faction the unit of italian cavalry militia have silver surfer unit
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Little graphic bug found, with serbian faction the unit of italian cavalry militia have silver surfer unit
    thank, j.a., noted and @kostic will fix it, I guess.

Would it be possible to make it so that if the governor of a settlement is present, that governor is always the one governing a settlement? i.e. random generals passing through don't get preference over the designated governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    Would it be possible to make it so that if the governor of a settlement is present, that governor is always the one governing a settlement? i.e. random generals passing through don't get preference over the designated governor.
    No. It's always Piety that decides who is the governor.

That would be cool though! A workaround I think of would be to give really bad piety malus to all generals that are in a settlement without a governor title at the end of turn, and remove it at the start of turn, but that would be really complex and potentially unreliable as a script...
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I admit I don't understand the problem. Once a provincial title has been given to a general, he keeps it, even if he leaves his city. Any untitled general passing through the city does not get the title while the titled general is still alive. That's how the game works, right?