Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Do you fake where you're from when you travel?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: Do you fake where you're from when you travel?

Well it mounds down to I sometimes say I'm from Sweden if the person im talking to have not heard of Norway.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Well Americans don't exactly have a great reputation. American tourists often have very different morals and they don't seem to understand that things are different here.
    I respect and acknowledge the situation you outlined, but Ive never seen it on my travels in Europe. The most ridiculous experience I had with a fellow American tourist was them coming up to ask me where the Pizza Hut was. It was just odd to me.

Again, I think it really is overblown, because I don't see that kind of behavior here, let alone there. I mean, if we are talking idiot, loud teenagers or early twenty-somethings, then it certainly isn't exclusive to the US. I wouldn't even begin to use those groups to judge something like this.

On the other hand, Ive seen some pretty ridiculous behavior from European tourists in Europe, and especially those from the UK. I came across some Scottish tourists in Amsterdam who were totally obnoxious to the point I almost intervened.

And I distinctly remember a BBC article last year that would reinforce the idea of how disliked tourists from the UK are.

Now ask me if I care...

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Booh hoo hoo the USA is misunderstood...

Do you not think there is cultural differences between regions of European countries? People are ignorant the world over- get over it. And no, it doesn't have any bearing on the international influence of a nation JP, which, on a personal level, is a pretty abstract and irrelevant idea anyway.
    Then stop passing judgment. You belong to the small group of people in this thread who want to single out Americans over not knowing the relatively obscure differences of classification of the countries that make up the British Isles. Talk about boo hoo.

Students in the US have enough to memorize during the part of school where something like that would fall. And I don't think anyone really cares to be honest. What comes along with that not caring, is not passing judgment on things we don't know or care about. People in your part of the world should seriously look into that.

This is a large country where you can do just about everything at a world class level, aside from visiting medieval castles and ancient Greco-Roman ruins, or world war battlefields. If there is systematic ignorance (which Europeans take great exception to, as we spend money in your countries), it is somewhat understandable.
    Last edited by mrmouth; August 22, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyJones View Post
    Then stop passing judgment. You belong to the small group of people in this thread who want to single out Americans over not knowing the relatively obscure differences of classification of the countries that make up the British Isles. Talk about boo hoo.
    It was an American member that brought it up, I just responded.

Saying that, you would think that knowing the name of the country that the USA succeeded from, which has had a massive influence on US political and law systems, that has a lot of shared culture and history (Possibly the only country with as much shared history and culture with the US is Canada), and which is today one of the USA's closest allies wouldn't be too difficult. Or maybe it is, whatever.

Students in the US have enough to memorize during the part of school where something like that would fall. And I don't think anyone really cares to be honest. What comes along with that not caring, is not passing judgment on things we don't know or care about. People in your part of the world should seriously look into that.
    And you think that doesn't go on with people from the States? "Europe is full of pussies!!", "We saved your asses!!" etc etc etc.

Like I said, there is mind numbing ignorance the world over.

This is a large country where you can do just about everything at a world class level, aside from visiting medieval castles and ancient Greco-Roman ruins, or world war battlefields. If there is systematic ignorance (which Europeans take great exception to, as we spend money in your countries), it is somewhat understandable.

Understandable maybe. Doesn't mean we have to like it.
    Last edited by Azog 150; August 22, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Citizen

The "We saved your asses" argument sets all plugs burning with me. But in all honesty despite being a rather well-travelled person in Europe I've never had any problems with Americans at all. The occasional ignorance is more of an amusement point than a real annoyance, and god knows Europe got worse multicultural problems than "ignorant" Americans.

I lived with 3 Americans last year in England, and was friends with many more. And none of them came close to really offending me. Although I was a bit muffled when one suggested countries like Belgium and Denmark did not deserve to be called countries, that one time.

one suggested countries like Belgium did not deserve to be called countries
    Well... I can understand that one.

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Although I was a bit muffled when one suggested countries like Belgium and Denmark did not deserve to be called countries, that one time.
    Belgium, I understand, but why Denmark?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Although I was a bit muffled when one suggested countries like Belgium and Denmark did not deserve to be called countries, that one time.
    Ofcourse, Nigel Farage was right, but indeed, why for the love of god DENMARK?!

Okay, Copenhagen is a place I don't want to die in, but Denmark is overall a nice place, isn't it?

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Okay, Copenhagen is a place I don't want to die in, but Denmark is overall a nice place, isn't it?
    Copenhagen is an awesome city.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Been there two times in half a year time, and good weather or bad weather, the cool places and nice parts are ruined by the modern or 80ies like parts.

I prefer Oslo or Stockholm over Copenhagen

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I only know Copenhagen from Steve Berry's novels...

'Armenia' is often confused by people with Romania or Albania, so most of the time I need to explain the geographical location and so on...
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mov View Post
    'Armenia' is often confused by people with Romania or Albania, so most of the time I need to explain the geographical location and so on...
    Welcome to my world
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

They always think I'm Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Armenian, Bulgarian or Serbian, while I'm none of this
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

They always think I'm Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Armenian, Bulgarian or Serbian, while I'm none of this
    Yeah that always happens with Romanians.

I once pretended to be Welsh, but then they asked me to speak one of those very long Welsh words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    Been there two times in half a year time, and good weather or bad weather, the cool places and nice parts are ruined by the modern or 80ies like parts.

I prefer Oslo or Stockholm over Copenhagen
    I think the Lonely Planet guide to Scandinavia sums it up pretty nicely by saying that, yes, Oslo's setting is far more spectacular and Stockholm's layout tops any other in grandiose terms, but Copenhagen wins on all other fronts. I love that city, which has nothing to do with nationality - I know a crap town when I see one (hello, Jaipur!).
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

well, Copenhagen sure isn't crappy, but well, a bad compromise between what used to be modern and the glory of old great Denmark. Sad, but not as bad as, let's say Brussels

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetRegistered View Post
    Yeah that always happens with Romanians.

I once pretended to be Welsh, but then they asked me to speak one of those very long Welsh words.
    If you imply I'm Romanian, I'm most certainly not. If you are, I'd most likely think you're Polish or Russian.
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    I think the Lonely Planet guide to Scandinavia sums it up pretty nicely by saying that, yes, Oslo's setting is far more spectacular and Stockholm's layout tops any other in grandiose terms, but Copenhagen wins on all other fronts. I love that city, which has nothing to do with nationality - I know a crap town when I see one (hello, Jaipur!).
    I think oslo is a craphole and have nothing on Copenhagen, but oh well. If it scenery you want Oslo should be the last place in Norway to go.

Being Canadian is great no issues, best country this side of the Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by G3NUINE chief View Post
    Being Canadian is great no issues, best country this side of the Atlantic.
    Yea, Canada is so quiet and inconspicuous that I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot claimed it to be part of the U.S.

Seriously, we never hear anything about you guys here in the U.S., it's as if the Media thinks that if they pretend that Canada doesn't exist that it will disapear.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112