Thread: Ancient Greek and Latin

Default Ancient Greek and Latin

I'm considering tatooing the following, which contains both Ancient Greek and Latin.
    I know the meaning of both words\phrases but I'm just double checking with experts incase I make myself an idiot

First of, did I write atheos correctly? assuming I address a person like when I call someone by his name, would it be written like that? or does atheos literally means atheism?
    Secondly, I've seen "Defeated" as both Victis and Victus- which one is correct? I already know victae means a female defeated.
    Was Comma used in those times? or did they had something else?

The point is to make it as a reminder and a warning, since I honestly believe religion is the worst plague to ever occur to mankind and once humanity abandons reason for talking snakes and people living inside whales, a Medieval-era-like in a nuclear age- that would be the end of us.
    the script, in English, should be similar to "Atheist\s, woe to the defeated" as in beware of losing.

Stick to my questions please, I don't want this to turn into a fight around my personal viewings nor your opinions over tatoos.
    Thank you.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: Ancient Greek and Latin

Quote Originally Posted by dr0p View Post
    I'm considering tatooing the following, which contains both Ancient Greek and Latin.
    I know the meaning of both words\phrases but I'm just double checking with experts incase I make myself an idiot

First of, did I write atheos correctly? assuming I address a person like when I call someone by his name, would it be written like that? or does atheos literally means atheism?
    Secondly, I've seen "Defeated" as both Victis and Victus- which one is correct? I already know victae means a female defeated.

The point is to make it as a reminder and a warning, since I honestly believe religion is the worst plague to ever occur to mankind and once humanity abandons reason for talking snakes and people living inside whales, a Medieval-era-like in a nuclear age- that would be the end of us.
    the script, in English, should be similar to "Atheist\s, woe to the defeated" as in beware of losing.

Stick to my questions please, I don't want this to turn into a fight around my personal viewings nor your opinions over tatoos.
    Thank you.
    Hi there! I had 8 years of Latin and 2 of those at university so I can answer some of your questions.
    "victis" and "victus" both exist. The "victus" refers to a single person (nominative) who is defeated and the "victis" refers to several people who were defeated and it is in the dative form.
    So basically it's just singular and plural and different cases of the word

They did not have a comma or any other interpunction because the Romans wrote everything next to each other without even spaces.
    I've read that individuals would place a dot above the beginning of every new word but I don't think it was ever a standard practice. The Latin language uses grammatical and stilistic elements to indicate pauses or enummerations etc.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Victis is the appropriate usage. I assume you are looking for the phrase "woe to the vanquished/conquered", so Victis, the dative plural form meaning "to/for the conquered", would be appropriate. I'm not sure about the Greek, since I'm just in my first year of Ancient Greek, but i'm a classics major with 5 years of Latin under my belt so I'm positive about Vae Victis. And no, no comma is necessary in Latin, though I believe Greek does use a comma, so you should check on that elsewhere. If you wanted to use a Colon or a semicolon, that would be in Greek a dot raised to about halfway up the last letter of the word.

Good idea checking on this, by the way; a lot of people don't and end up with ridiculous things written on them for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Since there is already a question here, could I ask my own question?

Yeah, why not?

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

I am making up a few Greek and Latin unit names in my story. Do you think these are thematically sound?

Greek:

1) Hysteroi/Misthophoroi Katanaphoroi: Post-Meiji reformed/mercenary katana swordsman. Think Rurouni Kenshin.
    2) Toxotai Hesogenitoi: Half-werewolf, half-vampire "forestborn" archer warband.
    3) Toxotai Epilektoi: Vampire noble archers.
    4) Hemoheilotai: Blood-slaves i.e. the kind of humans vampires "domesticate" to harvest blood from.
    5) Nekroheilotai: Zombies.

Latin:

1) Equites Arcani: Vampire magister cavalry.
    2) Equites Carabinii: Vampire carabineer cavalry
    3) Cohors Alba: Vampire neoclassical "White" cohort.
    4) Pedites Consulares: Consular Guard Heavy Infantry.

Indeed, it means atheist, but the diacritic is absent, so the 100% correct version would be άθεος in modern Greek and ἄθεος in ancient Greek. Also, this is the nominative case. Thus, it is correct if the tattoo refers to yourself, which is the case from what I understand. But when you 'call someone by his name', you use the vocative case, in which occasion the correct forms would be άθεε and ἄθεε respectively.

Also, in case you are interested, the ancient Greek equivalent of Vae Victis is
    Οὐαὶ τοῖς ηττημένοις

1) Hysteroi/Misthophoroi Katanaphoroi: Post-Meiji reformed/mercenary katana swordsman. Think Rurouni Kenshin.
    Hysteroi means late, not reformed, although in your context the difference is minimal I assume.
    Reformed would be Hanamorphothentes

2) Toxotai Hesogenitoi: Half-werewolf, half-vampire "forestborn" archer warband.
    Heso does not mean forest for sure. It means inside. Forestborn would be "Hylogeneis" in ancient Greek, and Toxotai Hylogeneis word for word translates into Forestborn Archers. Half would be hemi, werewolf would be lykanthropoi, vampire would be vrykolakai, and warband would be homilos.
    Consequently, half-werwolf, half-vampire forestborn archer warband would be "Homilos Hylogenwn Hemilykanthropwn, Hemivrykolakwn Toxotwn", w standing for long 'o' -maybe you should just put o to avoid confusion.

3) Toxotai Epilektoi: Vampire noble archers.
    Picked Archers.
    Noble Archers would be Toxotai Eugeneis.
    Vampire Noble Archers: Eugeneis Vrykolakai Toxotai

4) Hemoheilotai: Blood-slaves i.e. the kind of humans vampires "domesticate" to harvest blood from.
    Helots, heilotai, were a unique caste of slaves, exclusive to the state of Lacedaemon (Sparta)
    The general ancient Greek word for slaves is δούλοι, while they were called ἀνδράποδα if they constituted spoils of war. Also, the word for blood is αίμα, therefore transliterated as haima.
    Thus, Haimodoyloi or Haimandrapoda, although given that the raison d'etre of your blood slaves has a striking similarity to the one of the Helots in Lacedaemon, I don't see why you couldn't say Haimoheilotai.

5) Nekroheilotai: Zombies.
    Well, the ancient Greek folkore did not feature any werewolfes or vampires or zombies, so you will have to settle for the medieval and modern Greek terms, and for Zombies there is none to my knowledge.
    Nekroheilotai literally means Dead Helots. Does it satisfy you? If not, the closest thing I can come up with is Hapethantoi, which means Undead; is it the same?
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; November 04, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

How about mummies you must have a word for that?

LSD's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    How about mummies you must have a word for that?
    I believe mummy derived from the latin mumia which could have derived from the greek μούμια which if you latinize it becomes moumia/mumia?

EDIT: Mummy is μούμια/moumia, plural mummies is μούμιες/moumies.

Victus is singular IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

What would be the equivalent to the Latin brigandi? brigandoi? I think brigandos is singular.

atheos means godless, as in godlessness. It is a vice, not a virtue or even a remotely neutral quality -- at least in classical or even koine Greek. In fact, godlessness is among the accusations leveled by Roman society at the early Christians.

yes I've heard early Christians were considered "Atheists" so that's interesting to know.

The comma, along with other punctuation marks (including the period), was invented relatively late in the history of classical Greek, by scholars at the library of Alexandria, but only came into common use in the West towards the end of antiquity and the beginning of the Middle Ages.

Thank you.

Imagine reading with no spaces no lower or upper case distinction, no punctuation (well not so bad) but no spaces... aye...

Cornelius Plautus's Avatar Centenarius

yes I've heard early Christians were considered "Atheists" so that's interesting to know.
    Atheists, because they were away from the Roman concept of religio and the Greco-Roman gods? It would make sense, I suppose.

-Click on the Eagle for a Surprise!-

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Imagine reading with no spaces no lower or upper case distinction, no punctuation (well not so bad) but no spaces... aye...
    I thought you did get spaces in Latin?

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

I'm referring to early Latin and Greek writing.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Ah ok.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________