Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Yea, one of hardest in my opinio. Realy great campaign.
    I can easily see Serbia being in my next LP. Haven't had an opportunity to record Episode III yet.

But Serbia, man. There isn't really a counter to Hungarian foot knights, which is just a giant hassle. So far, the only success I've really had is through stringing their forces out across the entire country and trying to take them piecemeal, while another army goes around attacking the cities and castles.

B.H. Liddell Hart would be so proud of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Default Re: How to build siege weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    If you don't start off with the ability to build the Siege Works building (ie: can't even see it in any cities) then you'll have to wait until the "First Rudder" event at about turn 96.
    I see..thanks for the info

Honestly Serbia is very bad presented roster currently. Il rework it in submod that im doing. Serbia had maybe best spearmen in region. And at later age, serbia had famous knights.

I would love too see you doing serbia in your videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    I believe ballista and catapults were both removed as well. You may need the logging camp to construct the siege works.
    Thanks for the info man, so I can only build trebuchet now? is that historically accurate? (just curious though )

Honestly Serbia is very bad presented roster currently. Il rework it in submod that im doing. Serbia had maybe best spearmen in region. And at later age, serbia had famous knights.

I would love too see you doing serbia in your videos.
    God, their spearmen are awful though in the early game. The only counter for the knights of Hungary is other cavalry and superior tactics, which means your infantry (which isn't too great already), have to compete with foot knights, which go through them like a hot knife through butter.

And one thing at a time

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf90 View Post
    Thanks for the info man, so I can only build trebuchet now? is that historically accurate? (just curious though )
    I can't say for certain it's accurate historically, but I appreciate it free up a couple of unit spaces for other troops, which I can't hate. So, it might not be accurate, but the trebuchet basically took over the roll of the catapult, which had existed since the time of the Greeks.
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

I agree with you henry. Btw hungary is also represented preaty bad. As in early 12th century they are that much westernized. They were still using horse archers and similar tactics.

I agree with you henry. Btw hungary is also represented preaty bad. As in early 12th century they are that much westernized. They were still using horse archers and similar tactics.
    I was really hoping the 1300 AD New Era event would spice up my roster, but it looks like I'm stuck with the same stuff for the moment.

The Mongols attacked Severin though, so there's that.

i say good riddance of those pesky catapults and balistas

too many times

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Default Bad Reputation

I'm maybe 20 turns into my french campaign, never been at war with anyone yet, never sacked a settlement and I'm allied with the papal states and a few others. I've never cancelled an alliance either, but my reputation just sunk to dubious. What gives?

it would be historical hire mercenary huscarls in jutland and some rus regions(varangian way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians ) ??? maybe huscarls should be recruit not only in england,also in this regions, but the name should be change for mercenary huscarls and not saxon huscarls... it would be great if other factions in early game could hire this elite units because i see much poor only can recruit drenjhar as mercenary...what do you think sship team?

THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Playing as Serbia had an interesting consequence: because I have kept the Hungarians busy, the HRE was able to expand into France and Italy and turn the Papacy and Venice into vassals while I slowly conquer Hungary.

Downside to this plan, the HRE just attacked Zagreb with a full stack and isn't actually fighting anyone else now. Just stabbed me in the back. WHERE ARE MY NOT-GARBAGE TROOPS?

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    it would be historical hire mercenary huscarls in jutland and some rus regions(varangian way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians ) ??? maybe huscarls should be recruit not only in england,also in this regions, but the name should be change for mercenary huscarls and not saxon huscarls... it would be great if other factions in early game could hire this elite units because i see much poor only can recruit drenjhar as mercenary...what do you think sship team?
    I think just make them available at times when they would have most likely been in the area historically. So as they progressed through areas, make them available for a time. Or make it somewhat random to show the fact they were traveling.
    Last edited by Henry X; July 18, 2016 at 08:53 PM.

Is possible give them norman sergeants to Sicily faction? To replace spearmen for example, i guess that is historically correct that Sicily have norman sergeants, same that england at the beginning of the early campaign, the normans were in england and sicily and same that england and sicily have miles and norman knights, sicily also should have norman sergeants
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Other suggestion sship team, furthemore of proposal of mercenary huscarls and norman sergeants..it would be great if could make a trait or retinue for patriarch of constantinople and patriarch of jerusalem,both were important people in respectives kingdom and empire, the patriarch of constantinople was a reference for the orthodox church and could have this retinue with much improves as +piety and point of movement...and same for patriarch of jerusalem that was a importan person in the decision of the kingdom of jerusalen and templars
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

After a few delays, Episode III (It's Number VI in Japan) is being uploaded tonight. Looks like it should be up in about an hour though because upload speeds.

Grumble grumble grumble.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVbq...nnel=Elderwood
    Last edited by Henry X; July 20, 2016 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    After a few delays, Episode III (It's Number VI in Japan) is being uploaded tonight. Looks like it should be up in about an hour though because upload speeds.

Grumble grumble grumble.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVbq...nnel=Elderwood
    Why don't you post these in the thread you started with the poll?
    Your posts will just drown in here, and since you already started a thread regarding your Let's play..

This an excellent idea! I don't know why it occurred to me.

@Lift/MWY yesterday was reading stuff about wootz steel weapons and got me thinking maybe we can add back the weapon upgrade on swordsmith guild but limit it to only 1 for every faction and rename it to something like "Royal Armoury" the idea is to have a that one special place that produces weapons and armor for your King/Sultan/Emperor and his guards

i know it gives like +4 damage but that could be balanced by having a very high cost for such kind of armoury, perhaps even a maintainance cost for it, what do ya think ?

Kesten pire's Avatar Foederatus

Great addition to SS.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Hello. I have got a couple of questions. first, is there any possibility of reworking Hungarian kingdom? I will list some of main concerns.
    Why there is no Slavic element present? Hungarian kingdom was not Magyar kingdom. It was not kingdom of nomadic tribes with some marginal groups of indigenous people. Since the very beginning there were two groups of people. Slavic people living in todays Slovakia, west Hungary and Subcarpathian Rus and confederation of nomadic tribes in which Magyars were dominant; in simple words Slavs and Magyars. Now please do not think I am some Slovak schovinist who is dreaming about his own state in M2TW or something but medieval Hungarian kingdom was "my kingdom" as much as it was kingdom of people living in present Hungary. It often feels like someone want to steal history from us. That Slovaks (back then called simply Sloveni lat. Sclavi or Slavi) and Magyars were two dominant groups that constituted medieval Hungary is fact accepted by modern historians as well as genetical research. (It is even evident from two most prominent symbols, double cross and Arpad beams? do not know exact denomination in english language) One of such historians is for example prof. PhDr. Peter Konya, CSc. member of Slovak academy of science as well as Hungarian academy of science and one of youngest proffesors in Europe, example of younger generation not stricken by antagonism of Hungarian and Slovak historical science. Well respected author who is supporting this claim. There is many more but he is the one who I had honor to meet.
    Now, how is that represented in SSHIP (or any other mod?). By no means.
    What are my propositions?
    1. Use of latin language. Latin language was dominant language in medieval Hungary. Yes, there were papers in many languages (Magyar, Slavic, Romanian, German...) which mirrors the reality that Hungary was not "one nation" kingdom. Nevertheless latin language was official languge in Hungary since beggining. (cca year 1000) See Stephen law books for example. I do not understand use of hungarized/magyarized titles names etc. There was no Király.. it was Stephanus Rex. See coins he started to mint right after his coronation for example. Latin language seems more appropriate and also it is much easier to read for nonhungarians.
    2. Complete rework of armies. It is too comprehensive topic (we could discuss in separate topic or something) and not that much sources are available but basically Hungarian army in 1100+ should be no different from western armies(Polish/Czech and mainly German) with few exceptions. Exceptions are light cavalry/bow cavalry of Hungarians, Cumans and of course symbols. Vanilla looking units in SSHIP as well as all those black/red themed units from SS are just awful. Western unit overhaul mod did GREAT job, simple but very realistic units.. it could be implemented for Hungary as well, just change color theme.
    Oldest terms in written sources are miles. Miles and their role is similar to western kingdoms - personal guards of kings/nobles and church officials - basically proffesional units. Often mentioned on kings court as personal bodyguards of king. They often had their own "courtyard?" lat. curtes and or little forts lat. turres. By the way administration of country was taken from Great Moravia. Hillforts or fortified cities from Moravian period were later transformed into castles which were centers of comitatus - unit of administration, especially in upper hungary/present Slovakia and west Hungary. Proof is slavic lexicology (dunno if its right word.. I mean linguistic research) as well as archeology that has proven continuity of settlement from Great moravian period to present Slovakia and part of west Hungary.
    Men hailed from administration units lat. comitatus; their centers were in castles/fortified cities. Their defenders were often referred as civis/cives. If neded they were part of military expedition. Soem of them were personally free lat. liberi.
    Core of army were those men serving in castles/centers of comitatus. Comitatus armies were composed of all free men lat. liberi as well as "guests" lat. hostes and castles defenders lat. cives. Number of men were dependant on size of comitatus. Other part of army were personal armies of secular and religious diginitaries, already mentioned miles. The most prominent and most influental part of army was formed from guests lat. hostes. Majority of them were german knights and also knights of orders and they were kings closest army. Some portion thou not majority was made of cavalry archers, mostly magyars, cumans etc. Castrum Iobagiones are kinda "special" unit of its own, and so were units from cities which had quotes. Preffered was quality over quantity so for example Nitra had to fully equip twelve men with all requisties. Another expception was Province of X Spiš lancers (Spiš being county in Slovakia). This little province had privilagies from king (since 1234) but was expected to equip 50 lancers to kings army(every year I think)
    This system could apply up to 14th. century. I am just student of history so I am not that much familiar with military history of medieval period hungary but I think this is nice base on which we could build some well made military system. It is open to further discussion(if you are willing to make some changes to Hungarian kingdom).
    3. More slavic and christian names. I did not check files to see how many and what kind of names are used for Hungary but there were slavic names (mostly among lover nobility) and definitely a lot of typical christian names.
    4. Symbols. Truth be told, there are almost no depictions of medieval era symbols in hungary but why not use those few existing and add some possible instead of weird "dragon like" symbol in SS units. (my bad if it is historical thou.) A lot of kings retinue (king Stephen I. The Saint) were of german origin (they came with his wife Gizela from Bavaria) Why not use german eagle on few of bodyguards. I think there are possibilities. If there will be three symbols only, but symbols that were highly probable used, then I think it is better than knights with some weird ass dragon. (Is it supposed to represent Order of Dragon or Mathias Corvinus black army?)
    I think there is more possible improvements. But those mentioned are probably most important. If there is WILL to somehow modify Hungarian kingdom, I would like to take a part. I can not mod thou I tried some text editing and stuff but I could gather information. Maybe open some topic for me where I could post all info I can find. But as I said, only if there is will. In my humble opinion Hungarian kingdom deserves some major rework.
    Hope noone will get offended.
    Last edited by Majkl; July 25, 2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: some minor details, my english suck

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

I've got historical question about Moor's armies, about Almoravid's \ Almohad's armies (did they differ ?).
    What was their general army 'composition' - > more infantry or cavalry ?

What I already know that they hasn't got good archers -hasn't got recurve / reflex bows so their archers were not so effective as eastern ones.
    I've 'read' that in time of their initial invasion (ex. Battle of Poitiers 732 year) they have a lot of very good heavy & light cavalry.
    Where they already 'Almoravids' in ~730 year ?

I will be grateful fro any info & links.